FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Folks, lock up your wallets. Steam Summer Sale Is Here. (2015 Edition) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Folks, lock up your wallets. Steam Summer Sale Is Here. (2015 Edition)
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Link.

Per usual, the website isn't always loading because too many people are spending their money.

[ June 15, 2015, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though it doesn't look very good, I picked up Defiance. I wouldn't pay $60 for it, but $13 isn't bad.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
March of War looks good. I pretty much stick to strategy games these days.

I'm looking at Stardrive too.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought Anti-Chamber.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Steam's Wide Scale Poor Impulse Control Social Research Event
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Civ V's on a 75% flash sale right now, and even the brand new DLC is -33%.

I was planning to mostly keep away from this sale, but that's really tempting. 5 hours to make up my mind, I guess.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
I am also looking at Civ V. Will they ever put it up again or is this the only time this summer it'll be this cheap?
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

Flash sales tend to be the best discounts outside of community picks.

There's a chance they'll run another flash sale at some point for the same discount, but it's unlikely that it will get any cheaper.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
And I have now fallen victim to the summer sale.
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
On my desk now are three credit cards. They don't belong to me. But they have been given to me to hold "for the duration of the crisis"
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hotline Miami is kicking my ass.

I got Anti-Chamber, Legend of Grimrock, Fez, and HM. I'm calling it a sale. Thanks, steam. Stay safe everyone.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by happymann:
And I have now fallen victim to the summer sale.

Apparently the Civ5 dlc sale was a mistake, so nice catch if you did wind up buying it.

(I held off. haven't bought anything yet this sale, though I don't expect that to hold.)

T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought Overlord which I was meaning to play for a long time, with funds gained by selling steam trading cards.

I hope this has staying power.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Autumn Sale.

Nothing super crazy today, but it goes until Dec 3.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Ah, hearts of iron 2 complete is on sale for half off. That's going to be hard to say no to. They get me every time.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn if you have AoD I made a mod that imports the Darkest Hour map; works in Singleplayer 1936 scenario too.
Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Waiting for a great deal on The Swapper, Risk of Rain.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Risk of Rain was one of the sales today I thought.
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Thanks, I haven't looked yet.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Any of you fools who haven't played papers please should note the SIGNIFICANT DISCOUNT
ricree101
Member # 7749

AI War: Fleet Command remains my favorite rt4x, and the full pack with all the dlc is currently $4.24.

If you like single player space strategy games, you should seriously consider buying it.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Bioshock Infinite is $9.99 today.

Pretty nuts.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I keep hoping The Cave will be marked way down.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Bioshock Infinite is $9.99 today. Pretty good deal yo.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my top ten favorite games, though more for the story than the gameplay.

(The gameplay is quite good, but the story is phenomenal.)

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

http://store.steampowered.com/app/202170/

Sleeping Dogs with all the DLC included. I would probably get it if I didn't already beat the game on my ps triple.

lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Chivalry flash 6.74! I am picking up an extra for a friend.

I am thinking of getting Skyrim, but I already got Bioshock Infinite and I actually don't have lots of time to give to games.

But it looks so good. I did just get Monaco because it looks like you can jump in and out (like Chivalry). Now I just need to decide which 3 friends/kid get a copy.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

So left4dead2 is free on steam right now, but i can't get it cause their servers are crashing.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by lem:
So left4dead2 is free on steam right now, but i can't get it cause their servers are crashing.

I couldn't see it listed for free anywhere, and I have friends who would definitely want it.
lem
Member # 6914

Go to the store page, start typing it in search, and it will pop up for free. The game of the year edition still costs, but the regular is free.

I just read you have to install it to tie to your account. It will be up till sometime tomorrow (26) morning.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Found it!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

What's it about?
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

It's a co0p first person shooter, where you shoot down large waves of running zombies and occasionally heal each other. You also pick your spots with a couple of different grenades. Very fun for what it is.

The second game adds some nice melee weapons, and some scenarios that force you to split into two squads.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

There's also a multiplayer mode where up to 8 players split into 2 teams of 4 and take turns playing the special zombies and the 4 humans.

It's loads of fun especially if you've got people who plan on playing through an entire campaign. Traditionally it has been a pain in L4D games to not have players who just hop in and out. When it's 2 zombies versus 4 humans, and the AI takes the other 2 zombies it's just not fun.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Ha! So Steam is going to pay me $15.01 to take Borderlands 2 off their hands?

Link.

BTW today is the last day of the sale, and they've resurrected all the most popular deals.

lem
Member # 6914

So did you try to get it?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:

Already own it from a different sale. [Razz]
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

IT'S HERE RUN
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Oh hell, I must destroy my computer. Destroy it!
Geraine
Member # 9913

Goodness. A few weeks ago I went down and traded in a bunch of games at Target since they were having a triple trade in credit promotion. Some games I traded in gave me $48, and new copies were being sold for $40. (I don't understand why Target would do that either)

Anyways, I traded in 15 games and walked out with more than $500 in Target credit. Last week they had a sale, and $50 steam cards were on sale for $45 and $20 cards were on sale for $17.50. I bought three of the $20 cards knowing that the sale was going to start..

And I'm kind of underwhelmed so far. Nothing that has gone on sale yet is a must buy for me. I'm hoping for a Dark Souls II 50% off deal.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone comes across some good adventure/indie/puzzle games, please do share! I'm going to peruse this weekend.
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Have you played Thomas Was Alone?
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:

Already own it from a different sale. [Razz]
So buy it, make the money, then sell the game for credit somewhere. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
(joke...I know it's a download)
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
"When Stanley came to a set of two open doors, he entered the door on his left."

This game was well worth the six dollars I paid for it.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I enjoyed playing Tomb Raider, and at $4.99 it's definitely worth it. I would consider trying it on one of the more difficult settings. Normal or easy are not challenging enough.

I liked exploring in that game a lot, it always felt rewarding to go off and salvage supplies and then happen on a waterfall that is actually a cave, and then walking inside the mountain finding bones and markings on the wall, and at the end an enormous chamber you had to climb to get to the valuable artifact above.

edit: On the downside, the amount of beating up Lara the game employs, and the project manager saying they are trying to present a Lara the player will want to protect kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't quite buy the narrative that Lara kills her first person and his haunted by it, but then five seconds later and every minute or so after that she's mowing down everything that's alive without hesitation. And whenever the game switches to cinematic mode she's back to vulnerable reluctant hero. I don't really see the Lara who is self-confident anywhere in the game.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

In terms of cutscenes, absolutely, I agree. For what its worth some of the in gameplay banter she'll share with enemies is good.

I'm not a fan of the way it automated cover. And I wish it through some tougher puzzles at you. I want some actual tomb raiding in the next game.

Geraine
Member # 9913

If you want to pick up additional games that you already own you could always trade them on 99gamers for coins.

This is basically how it works. You put up a game for a price in coins. You can get coins by selling your own games or by buying coins for $1 a piece.

Once you sell a game, you ship it to the person, and when it is received you get the coins credited to your account. When you see a game you want, you simply spend the coins you have to buy the game, and the seller ships it to you.

I've found it a great alternative to gamestop, and you can pick up a TON Of games on Steam for extremely cheap. Many people buy games on the Humble Bundle then turn around and sell each of the games for 1 coin a piece. Not bad if you want only one game in the bundle or you missed the sale.

Give it a look

Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
Have you played Thomas Was Alone?

I have not, but I am definitely going to check into this. Thanks for the rec! (Aside from Sim City and Myst way back in the day, I wasn't really a computer game person until I got married. Between my husband and I we've found a few games my speed so far, but I'm always excited to hear about things more puzzle oriented. [Big Grin] )
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I got Papers, Please the other day, and I've been having a love/hate affair with it.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.