FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help Me Understand the Zimmerman Verdict / Travon Martin Shooting (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Help Me Understand the Zimmerman Verdict / Travon Martin Shooting
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
i want cameras on cops literally all the time on active duty

and, while many precincts don't understand this yet, they do too

Yep. Like I said, most of the ones I worked with demanded cameras.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is that sometimes the camera doesn't catch everything, or makes it look worse than it really was at the time. But even with that in mind, every officer I work with (I work at the jail) all prefer having the cameras in every area allowed.

It is FAR more likely that an inmate will lie about abuse than it is for an officer to actually abuse someone, so that camera has actually SAVED more officers than it has condemned, by far.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obama
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at least we can all agree that there need to be cameras on cops at all times.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthonie
Member # 884

- posted      Profile for Anthonie   Email Anthonie         Edit/Delete Post 
The answer to the request in this thread title appears a little more likely to be "perhaps the verdict wasn't correct."
Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Given that the verdict must fit the trial rather than some abstract truth, the verdict was correct. But I take it you mean this seems to indicate Zimmerman likely did it.

*shrug* It does make him look bad, and I felt his story was self-serving bullshit that served to illustrate how dangerous and stupid it really is for stupid people such as Zimmerman to be allowed to roam the streets with a gun, looking for crime. But I don't see how this case, such as it is so far, should rationally lead anyone to conclude much about Martin's death.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. He could write an editorial titled, "I killed Trayon Martin, and I got away with it." and it wouldn't actually change the verdict the jury should have reached.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Given that the verdict must fit the trial rather than some abstract truth, the verdict was correct. But I take it you mean this seems to indicate Zimmerman likely did it.

What do you mean by "did it"? Nobody disputes the fact that Zimmermann shot Martin. The question is whether it was self defense, which is a legal question and not a factual one.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

By 'did it' I meant something closer to 'deliberately picked, followed, and then started or goaded into a fight' rather than the physical act of shooting and killing Martin.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthonie
Member # 884

- posted      Profile for Anthonie   Email Anthonie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

*shrug* It does make him look bad, and I felt his story was self-serving bullshit that served to illustrate how dangerous and stupid it really is for stupid people such as Zimmerman to be allowed to roam the streets with a gun, looking for crime. But I don't see how this case, such as it is so far, should rationally lead anyone to conclude much about Martin's death.

Yes, I agree, on the legal question the verdict was the way it should be. But the fault for Trayvon's death lies squarely on Zimmerman, whether or not he legally acted in self defense. As you said, without someone like Zimmerman running about as an armed vigilante, Trayvon would not be dead. This most recent revelation on Zimmerman makes me question whether he was "ambushed" by Trayvon in their final altercation. I wouldn't be surprised if Zimmerman was actually the aggressor who chased down Martin and jumped him, physically starting the fight. Then Zimmerman started screaming for help when he got on the losing end, and ultimately fired the killing shot. If that is the case, wouldn't the proper verdict have been manslaughter or negligent homicide or something akin to that? We can never know for certain who really started the fight. Thus reasonable doubt requires a 'not guilty' verdict. I'm just saying this latest news diminishes the "reasonable" part of reasonable doubt.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
zimmerman has served a pretty valuable service, post-trayvonning, of being sort of an easy racism dowsing rod of an issue
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
this is amazing. he barricaded himself in her house.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Zimmerman had every much as right to be at that sidewalk as Martin did. That's NOT saying the same thing as saying he is bight, or shows good judgement.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Zimmerman had every much as right to be at that sidewalk as Martin did. That's NOT saying the same thing as saying he is bight, or shows good judgement.

It's a shame that Zimmerman didn't, you know, recognize that Martin had a right to be on that sidewalk without being followed with gun, accosted, pre-convicted of a crime, etc.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Which is sort of besides the point, isn't it?

Since the original incident, he's been arrested for assaulting his girlfriend and drawing a gun on her. He was also accused by his ex-wife of threatening her with a firearm.

Do neither of these things make you at all doubtful of his original story in the Martin shooting?

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I suppose we might hear all about how they shouldn't make us begin to question his honesty.

Lying in court and attempting to hide money wasn't enough for some people to stomach questioning Zimmerman's integrity, after all.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:

It's a shame that Zimmerman didn't, you know, recognize that Martin had a right to be on that sidewalk without being followed with gun, accosted, pre-convicted of a crime, etc.
'those assholes always get away' said zimmerman obviously in the spirit of 'this man has just as much a right to be here as me'
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.