FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Jesus isn't a... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Jesus isn't a...
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wingracer:
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:

*I don't mean antagonistic towards fringe activists, either. Does an interracial couple 'antagonize' a racist simply by being together where they can be seen by the racist?

In theory, no. But do you think it would be a good idea for them to go to a white supremacist meeting? Would you expect them to act civil in such circumstances?
As a practical matter of safety, or to avoid confrontation, of course not. But that's not what's being discussed here, as MattP pointed out. They're two different discussions, and there's another element as well. In politics it's supposed to be a matter of ideas battling, compromise, doing as much as one can with as little as necessary, a variety of things like that. But in the battle of ideas portion, neither side is obligated to recognize a portion of the battlefield where one side will behave in hostile ways that damage their own side and shrug their shoulders saying, "Hey, c'mon, this will upset them."

She didn't break into the home of someone who was strongly pro-life on religious grounds and wave her sign in their face, she engaged people who were already fighting.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Edit to add: Come to think of it, didn't the whole Sandra Fluke thing demonstrate that women will be called that on this issue totally without a sign or a reference to "sacred" things?

Yes.

I'd almost prefer that we just add a bit of pretense to outrage over blasphemy, of all things, just to make the response more stark.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
That said, the entire discussion about the sign will have to involve an acceptance of this fact:

Her sign worked.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
quote:
In theory, no. But do you think it would be a good idea for them to go to a white supremacist meeting? Would you expect them to act civil in such circumstances?
Nope, but I would still hold them fully accountable for their uncivil behavior. I wouldn't say a word to the couple about provoking the behavior. If I were them I wouldn't have chosen to go myself, but no one should have to modulate their behavior (and be criticized for not doing so) solely to avoid provoking racists or misogynists.
Exactly. So why would such a couple actually do such a thing knowing full well what the consequences would be? As I said in my earlier post, specifically to provoke such a reaction.

Note: This is not a criticism of the girl or this hypothetical couple, more of an acknowledgement of a well played gambit [Big Grin]

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obama
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Because people holding such views are at the very least subconciously misogynistic, so why not provoke them a little to unveil that misogyny to the masses?

Might as well ask why go on a rights march when you know that dogs and water cannons, or British soldiers with truncheons, await you.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.