FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Thread deletion

Author Topic: Thread deletion
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
Why is this a thing.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
Who deleted what now?
Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
"Proof of the afterlife", either by creator (most likely) or by mod.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
Mods don't usually delete threads actually. If someone is making offensive posts they prefer to delete them individually. Ginette's last post in the thread was a flounce/everyone go home, so I'm assuming she nuked it when no one stopped posting.
Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know, it's extremely rare for mods to do that (mostly for spam threads I think or ones that degenerate right from the start), hence my "most likely" in the previous post. [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
i still have the entire thread archived. i think it should be available to peruse if ginette ever claims to be a scientist ever again
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
My bad, I misread the "most likely" as coming after "or".

I really wish they'd disable posters' ability to delete threads. I've seen it happen about a dozen times now and in almost every instance it was because the thread starter got butthurt because no one agreed with them. If someone has a legitimate reason to have a thread deleted (internet stalkers or whatever) they can email Janitor Blade and ask him to delete it. Such requests are highly unlikely to eat up his time considering rarely it would be needed and how low traffic this forum is nowadays.

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I say, if it's archived (wish I'd thought of that) post it again. Leave her posts in-she didn't ask before deleting everyone else's, why should her permission be required to post hers?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
I say, if it's archived (wish I'd thought of that) post it again. Leave her posts in-she didn't ask before deleting everyone else's, why should her permission be required to post hers?

agreed, and i'm on it
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

nevermind i can't find wherever the hell it is

YO BUTTHEAD GET BACK HERE.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
libraries/documents/vcvlogs/hatrackubb
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

you do this
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Yeah so insofar as my keeping a record of threads on hatrack and starting a policy of recalling them on request goes, it's got nothing specifically to do with GinetteB, even if that whole event was especially ... special. It has to do with that users being able to delete their own threads has been something which has been spectacularly mismanaged to the detriment of legitimate posters and posting, and nobody wants to invest a lot of time into an argument and have all their posts vanish because the OP got butthurt or wanted to 'teach the forum a lesson.' I did legitimately say before that if nothing was going to be done about this either way and if the ability for users to delete threads was just going to languish and stay in by default, then, why not protect the users of the community from the risk of having their well thought out posts or threads/arguments they were legitimately invested in get vanished if the OP pulls an Aros?

Moderation has said, clearly and without ambiguity, that reposting the contents of a deleted thread is not against TOS.

I'm going to say that again: moderation has said, clearly and without ambiguity, that reposting the contents of a deleted thread is not against TOS. A person's ability to delete whole threads does not extend to a prohibition on the preservation and reposting of those discussions by other users.

So anyone who wants to delete a thread can do so knowing that if another user who participated in that thread requests the recovery of the conversation because they are upset that someone else has exercised deletion that annihilated their personal input and the product of their time and energy, I'll provide it. If that, in your opinion, removes the 'spirit' of the power vested in user-based thread deletion, I guess that creates cause for a discussion about whatever that 'spirit' is supposed to be, as opposed to how it has been wielded.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I did not delete the thread in question. Typically I prefer locking threads to outright deletion.

In of itself, re-posting the contents of a deleted thread are not against the TOS.

There are situations where I would not permit content from deleted threads to be re-posted.

Per usual, moderators reserve the power to close, delete, and forbid re-posting of any material on Hatrack.

There will certainly be circumstances where a thread's creator and thread participators both have legitimate reasons for wanting a thread to exist or be deleted. Each situation will be looked at on a case by case basis. I don't think a standard rule would work.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack's first scandal in ages and I didn't even open the thread.

Someone give me a head's up next time.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
You didn't miss much.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first time a deletion didn't annoy me. It was sort of the perfect punctuation of self-delusion and confirmation bias. Not only did GinetteB ignore contrary evidence, she actively sought to suppress it - in the middle of a discussion of confirmation bias!

It's poetic.

[ September 02, 2013, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: MattP ]

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack has slain another dragon.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Hatrack has offered another opportunity for wry commentary on the habits of hatrack.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I vote to remove thread deletion from user control.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I vote to give Hatrackers the ability to vote on things.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
I vote to give Hatrackers the ability to vote on things.

Just not Galactic Cactusians, right?
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Just not you.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Just not you.

[Cry]
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys wouldn't handle a democracy very well. Be grateful for the benevolent monarchy I provide.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Strange authors hanging around websites distributing mod powers is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical internet ceremony!
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!

edit: Erm, perhaps that was a bit forceful. Would you come along with me, I'd love to hear your opinions in private...

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help, I'm being repressed!
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Bloody peasant!
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
You may find thread-deletion privileges an unpopular idea among common posters, but what if all of us quiet, hidden lurkers came out of hiding, hmm? Would the tables be turned then?

Not advocating turning over any tables, mind. Just a shoutout to those of us with opinions who so very often don't express it.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Whatever.

Wait, were you at the pool hall
And this girl came up
And she was, like, "awww"
And you were, like, "yeah, whatever!"

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait...if you can revive a deleted thread--then that proves life after death, because the thread was dead, and then--magically--its alive.

OK. Rule of Hatrack 182. If you delete your thread you are saying to the world--I lost. Those who posted against you can claim a victory.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Whatever.

Wait, were you at the pool hall
And this girl came up
And she was, like, "awww"
And you were, like, "yeah, whatever!"

To be fair, this is his united states of whatever.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
i still have the entire thread archived. i think it should be available to peruse if ginette ever claims to be a scientist ever again

Post it?

To be fair, Ginette is a scientist in the sense that she claims to be a scientist. Sort of like OSC is a democrat, or Hot Topic is cool. In a way, it's true- at least for her.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

I'm helping out with that, I will post it soon.
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
"Proof of the afterlife", either by creator (most likely) or by mod.

Definitely read that wrong, thought the title of the thread was:

"Proof of the afterlife, either by creator or by mod"

Actually a little disappointed that's not the thread. I was looking forward to thoughts on the "mod."

(I considered doing a mayfly but it's been so long I don't remember the nuances of it)

Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.