FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Interesting that you can find almost all music free on youtube

Author Topic: Interesting that you can find almost all music free on youtube
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember when music companies were panicking about piracy and such?

Now it seems that technological changes not only allowed for easy piracy but have decreased the cost of the production of music and made it easy to send that stuff out to the world.

So now the likes of The Rolling Stones and The Beatles have to make their catalogs free on youtube/other places just to stay relevant. When more and more people are producing music everyday, and are finding it cheaper to produce and share it (to the whole world), it would be a loss for big name musicians not to make their music free.

Is this the case? Anyone write about this phenomenon?

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Generally what I read on this topic indicates that record sales are already largely not a viable way to get rich as a musician, even if you hit it big.

Live performances, endorsements, crossovers to other media, and brand licensing are probably all more likely to get you rich than selling records. (And the streaming services like Spotify only pay a pittance, so they don't replace record sales either.) I think record companies still get a big chunk of most of those revenue streams.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
It is curious. Prior to recorded albums, if you wanted to hear a band, you had to go see them perform. This was the primary method bands had of making money.

As technology improved, records and radio became the primary source of income for performers. Now that technology has increased to the point that you mentioned, ticket prices for live shows have generally risen substantially. Many artists charge more than $150 for a ticket to a live show. Some groups, such as Dave Matthews Band, ALLOW the people at their shows to use recording devices, and allow those recordings to be shared on the internet.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Did "bands" really exist in a form that preceded recorded sound?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, but the world-famous type didn't.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Did "bands" really exist in a form that preceded recorded sound?

Not in the sense that is meant by Band since perhaps the Beatles.

The great fallacy of the era of the record (which is now over, by the way), was that the record somehow had no effect on taste and understanding of music. The opposite is of course closer to the truth.

Basically, the record as a medium, starting with the gramophone record, is almost completely responsible for our modern conception of "classical music," as well as the concept of "great works," for the organization of "bands," for the modern headlining tour, and all the rest of it.

That's over now, and I for one am not sad: the tyranny of the record business over even our base conceptions of taste and understanding of musical contexts has certainly been effective, even when it has not necessarily been good. As a trained musicologist I can only begin to express here to what degree our understanding of musical history is skewed by RCA's Basic 100- and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
A "musicologist?"

Really?

(If you didn't make up that term just now, then bear in mind my incredulity isn't really directed at you. But it's a stupid word. But in fairness, I think it's dumb most of the time someone tries to sound more legitimate and scientific by butchering the -logy/-logist suffix.)

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
A "musicologist?"

Really?

(If you didn't make up that term just now, then bear in mind my incredulity isn't really directed at you. But it's a stupid word. But in fairness, I think it's dumb most of the time someone tries to sound more legitimate and scientific by butchering the -logy/-logist suffix.)

The word has been around since about 1909. He'd have to be pretty old to have invented it.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.