FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kickstarting a Secular Solstice

Author Topic: Kickstarting a Secular Solstice
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Almost three years ago, I posted here about a secular holiday celebration I had put together. At the time, it was a cool thing I had done for my friends, that I was proud of. (Can't find that post now, but the essay is available here now)

The next year, we had 50 people come, several from out of state, who had heard about the event last year. I spent the entire year prepraring, instead of a month. I put together a ceremony that had people coming up to me afterwards, saying 'that was among the most powerful things I've experienced.'

There have been several attempts at secular holidays, and most of them either end up silly and ironic... or... kinda suck. I'm trying to make one that doesn't, that celebrates how awesome humanity is with great music and great stories.

This year, I'm trying to share that with as many people as possible. So far there are people in Boston, San Francisco, Germany and Ohio that are putting together their own version of the Winter Solstice event. And I'm kickstarting a large version, in NYC, for a giant participatory concert that I'm hoping to attract hundreds of people, and a lightning rod that jumpstarts a more serious, quality artistic culture surrounding humanism.

Whether you're interested in coming to a big event in NY, or are curious about smaller, local events, you can check it out here.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a fun event. I've never managed to make it out to a solstice celebration around here (Oregon), though there are several groups that have small semi-private gatherings.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
well, you are at almost $4000. I am not an atheist, but I hope it works out for you.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The effort to start a new positive tradition is a worthy goal. I wish you good fortune. [Smile]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Raymond,

Though I am religious, I still want to help you out. I wouldn't be able to make it to New York, however if I pledged enough for two tickets, would you be able to give them to a couple in need, a veteran, or someone else that would enjoy it but may not be able to afford it?

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that'd be valuable. I was having a conversation earlier about having some kind of lottery for free tickets that are paid for by people who pledged more. I don't know if there's a good way to ensure that they go to someone who someone who especially needed them, unless I knew someone personally or got a specific request. If nothing else - if I make any kind of noticeable profit on the event, I plan on donating a large chunk of the proceeds to a givewell.org charity.

(I do not mention this on kickstarter because I'm not allowed to. Kickstarter, if you happen to read this, note that this is basically me choosing to do with my own income what I wish, after the fact)

Very grateful for your help! My plan is for the event to feel valuable and inviting to people of... well, not *any* religious background, but anyone who is otherwise excited about progress along scientific and humanitarian lines.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

(You can specify instructions about your pledge in the comments for that pledge)
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! Count me in then. I don't mind if they are given away via lottery or if it goes to a charity, just as long as someone is able to enjoy it.

[Smile]

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Thanks!
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
This is impressive!
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Manning
Member # 2076

- posted      Profile for David Manning   Email David Manning         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/main/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=058705#000000
Posts: 49 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I were in NYC, for one additional reason now. I'll toss you what I can, and attempt to share the word.

Good luck man.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:
I'll toss you what I can, and attempt to share the word.
For the low low price of $5, in five thousand years a small child might possibly whisper your name and say "Thank you!"
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
Christmas is already a secular holiday around that time. Santa Claus, flying reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, elves, none of this has ANYTHING to do with christianity.

I don't celebrate the religious Christmas at all (it's not compatible with my own religion), but I sure enjoy the secular one.

But many people, religious and non-religious, are mighty confused since there are two separate holidays being conflated on the same day.

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Oh, I definitely enjoy Secular Christmas. What's interesting, though, is that I actually enjoy Religious Christmas as well (or rather, my family celebrates them together, and I enjoy each parts distinctly, and the weird amalgam that they produce together)

The religious Christmas has a kind of power and beauty that the secular one lacks, even if I don't believe in it. And my motivation for doing this was to create a secular holiday with *that* kind of power and beauty, not just silly fun-times.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity, who did the art for the Winter Solstice history graphic on the Kickstarter page? It's beautiful.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Out of curiosity, who did the art for the Winter Solstice history graphic on the Kickstarter page? It's beautiful.

Me, thanks! (Although a coworker volunteered to do some color correction and otherwise punch it up).
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Also, just put a short preview our central anthem, Brighter Than Today, one youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0KT5KFqoD0

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Me, thanks! (Although a coworker volunteered to do some color correction and otherwise punch it up).
I'm really very, very impressed.

Let me know if you ever do an art show, because I'd be interested in buying something if it's not wildly expensive.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on meeting the funding goal.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Thanks!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.