FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » John McCain doesn't like Putin

Author Topic: John McCain doesn't like Putin
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me, I couldn't help myself.

In response to a NY Times OP-ED, in which King of Russ-- I mean President Valdmir Putin spoke on the topic of useless military actions and pointed out how god made us all equal. I think he really taught America how brazen use of violent force is wrong, and he would know.

Putin NY Times

Oh, hey. This is weird.

It is illegal to be gay in Russia.

John McCain, senator of some state where nothing unfair ever happens, found Putin's piece hypocritical. “You should be governed by a rule of law that is clear, consistently and impartially enforced and just. I make that claim because I believe the Russian people, no less than Americans, are endowed by our Creator with inalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.” Said the senator who has repeatedly voted against gay equality in America while his own wife and daughter publicly support it.

McCain vs Putin

[ September 19, 2013, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: AchillesHeel ]

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
If Putin wanted to lecture us about not invading a country until the UN can decide the matter he shouldn't have invaded Georgia just a few years ago.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Putin can be the world's biggest hypocrite and still be right, you know.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I was more worried Putin's audacity (being right or wrong) by addressing the American people would make us collectively go "Oh no you didn't!" and tell congress and the President to go ahead and bomb anyone they damn well please.
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Putin said some things that needed to be said.

But I think he also said things that were almost DESIGNED to not be well-received by the vast majority of Americans. Either he did it knowing we wouldn't take it well, or he really doesn't get how brainwashed Americans are into believed they're the bestest country ever.

The thing is, believe in American Exceptionalism or not, I think there's an argument to be made that America is exceptional in the sense that it's unlike any other country on earth. In fact I'd support that as true, it's exceptional.

But most Americans take "exceptional" to mean "better than," and that's where you lose me, and the rest of the world.

The opening rant on the first episode of Newsroom pretty much nailed how I feel about it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Putin can be the world's biggest hypocrite and still be right, you know.

Sure, his logic is fine. But if he wanted to *lecture* us about it, well...it's hard to take an argument seriously if the person giving it doesn't actually believe it, and just wants me to believe that he does.

If he's going to play by different rules, don't try to get us to play by the ones he ignores.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Fair enough. Even if he's right, his apparent hypocrisy is going to turn off a lot of readers.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Don't get me wrong though. I really appreciate that fallacy being pointed out as it blocks so much meaningful change.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately not only does Putin's (undeniable, enormous) hypocrisy in almost all of the op-ed make it easier for people I brush it aside, it also makes it easier for people to brush it off when people who *aren't* corrupt, autocratic thugs try to make the same points,
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I think Putin said some things that needed to be said.

But I think he also said things that were almost DESIGNED to not be well-received by the vast majority of Americans. Either he did it knowing we wouldn't take it well, or he really doesn't get how brainwashed Americans are into believed they're the bestest country ever.

The thing is, believe in American Exceptionalism or not, I think there's an argument to be made that America is exceptional in the sense that it's unlike any other country on earth. In fact I'd support that as true, it's exceptional.

But most Americans take "exceptional" to mean "better than," and that's where you lose me, and the rest of the world.

The opening rant on the first episode of Newsroom pretty much nailed how I feel about it.

As I was reading your post I was planning on posting the Newsroom rant in response until I read your last sentence. It was such a well done scene. The substance loses me though when he starts to talk about how America used to be so great and had so much more morality than we do now. Really? We used to have segregation and racism all over the place, but we used to be more ethical than we are now? Oh please.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched it for the first time, and I agree wholeheartedly with Gaal. He dismisses American idealism only to revert to American idealism. Looks like a great show though.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

It's an awesome show. Definitely worth watching, especially if you're into politics at all.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
It's an awesome show. Definitely worth watching, especially if you're into politics at all.

Even if you're not into politics it's still a great show. My favorite thing is the whole relationship mess that is Will and Mac.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

My favorite is Charlie Skinner. He steals every scene he's in.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkjdOEj6xGY His face at 3:30 is priceless.
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
Very true.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaele8
Member # 6608

- posted      Profile for michaele8   Email michaele8         Edit/Delete Post 
Putin is twice the man as Obama and at least three times the man as McCain!
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.