FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Musician suggestions

Author Topic: Musician suggestions
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
Who are your favorite musicians in the following categories? I will include some of my choices too.

Female Jazz Singers:
Etta James
Billie Holiday
Ella Fitzgerald
Sarah Vaughan
Carmen McRae
Nina Simone

Female Divas:
Christina Aguilera
Whitney Houston
Adele
Mariah Carey
Aretha Franklin
Lauryn Hill
Donna Summer
Celine Dion
Diana Ross

Male Singers (any style):
Marvin Gaye
Ray Charles
Stevie Wonder
Frank Sinatra
Michael Jackson
Bruno Mars
Freddie Mercury

Underrated Artists and Bands:
Queen
Elvis Costello
Johnny Cash
Elton John
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Indie Folk/Psychadelic Artists of the 2000's:
Sufjan Stevens
Bright Eyes
Elliott Smith
Joanna Newsom
Bill Callahan
Beirut
Bon Iver
Dr. Dog
The Shins
Fleet Foxes
My Morning Jacket
MGMT
Avett Brothers
The Elected

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
Classical pianists:
Glen Gould
Vladimir Ashkenazy
Martha Argeritch

Post Hendrix living guitarists:
Joe Bonamassa
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Derek Trucks

Underrated artists:
Rory Gallagher
Matthew Sweet

Best ever of anything relating to music:
Bach.

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Female Singers (not sure if "divas", but my favorites):
Immogen Heap
Sia Furler

Male Singers:
Ben Folds

I find your list for "Underrated Artists and Bands" amusing, considering their albums sold:
Red Hot Chili Peppers: ~90 million
Queen: ~200 million
Elton John: ~250 million

You may as well add U2 and the Beatles to that list [Smile] . Though perhaps you're going off some other metric?

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Classical pianists:
Glen Gould
Vladimir Ashkenazy
Martha Argeritch

Interesting list. I'm actually not a huge fan of Gould, but I like your other two. I'll limit myself to living ones and make this list of three:

Evgeny Kissin
Yuja Wang (I think she's kind of taken over Prokofiev's 3rd Piano concerto from Argeritch, by the way)
Alfred Brendel

Kissin has been my favorite for a while, and last year I got to see him live in Chicago. It was a real treat. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:

You may as well add U2 and the Beatles to that list [Smile] . Though perhaps you're going off some other metric?

Maybe underrated by professional critics? I really like Philip Glass, and he's the most "popular" of the minimalist composers (popular in quotes since that's probably not the right word to use in conjunction with minimalists [Wink] ) but tends to be down graded by most of the "serious critics". So I might, theoretically, include him in a list of underrated whatevers, even though he's, I think, the best selling composer in his group. Or maybe RotR means something else. [Dont Know]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Female divas:
I do like Adele.
Not sure she's in the diva category, but Victoria Legrand of Beach House gets my vote for voice I most like listening to.

Male singers:
Thom Yorke--a close second to Victoria Legrand.

Indie:
Beach House
Wye Oak
Smith Westerns
Earlimart

Underrated bands:
Hmm. The Pretenders?

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

Ooh, I should have had Kissin on my list. Can't believe I left him off.

As for Gould, he definitely isn't for everybody but as a huge Bach fan, there is no way I could ever leave him off. I admit that some of his interpretations are just dreadful but the ones I like are for me, head and shoulders above everything.

Then there is Ashkenazy. I've noticed that a lot of piano aficionados seem to really dislike him but his Beethoven recordings just blow me away every time. I could listen to his Pathetique for hours on end, critics be damned. Brendel's are good but just don't move me in the same way.

I haven't heard much of Wang. Might have to listen to that Prokofiev.

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

Could Lily Allen be considered a diva? [Big Grin]
Wingracer
Member # 12293

Well, I searched for her Prokofiev on youtube and it was there but I got distracted by her playing Scriabin. Scriabin is a very interesting composer to me. When I first starting trying to listen to his music years ago, I just couldn't stand it. I mean truly hated it with a passion. Over the years his work has grown on me and now he is one of my favorites. She did a great job on it though the short dress and high heels certainly aided my attention span. [Big Grin]

Then I discovered that my all time favorite piano recording is on youtube. Gary Graffman's recording of Chopin's Raindrop Prelude in D flat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0597FooBEQ

Such a simple piece (even I can play it fairly well) yet so expressive and this recording is by far my favorite.

RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

I definitely did not mean underrated. Simply a wrong word.... didn't proofread. I meant more of their careers spanned multiple decades, changing styles. Which to me, isn't underrated at all!
Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by RivalOfTheRose:
I definitely did not mean underrated. Simply a wrong word.... didn't proofread. I meant more of their careers spanned multiple decades, changing styles. Which to me, isn't underrated at all!

David Bowie might prove a little more apt for this category than a few of these. Also, the Beach Boys.
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

Amanda Palmer could eat the other divas for breakfast.

I'd be curious to see entries in Heavy Metal / Modern Metal. . . .

Best concept albums might also prove interesting. Coheed and Cambria? Green Day? Or do we have to go back to Tommy or Pet Sounds? Please just don't say Pink Floyd (yuck). . . .

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

quote:
Originally posted by Aros:

Best concept albums might also prove interesting. Coheed and Cambria? Green Day? Or do we have to go back to Tommy or Pet Sounds? Please just don't say Pink Floyd (yuck). . . .

For me, heavy metal will always be Black Sabbath. Follow up with early Metalica and Megadeth and just stop there.

For concept albums, I have to go Dream Theater and Queens of the Stone Age.

DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
Underrated:
Starflyer 59

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Aros:

Pink Floyd. Animals.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vegimo
Member # 12618

- posted      Profile for vegimo           Edit/Delete Post 
Concept albums:
Agree with Dream Theater, Scenes From a Memory.
One of my favorites is Queensryche, Operation: Mindcrime. As reviewed in Guitar World:
quote:
A preacher, a hooker, and a junkie walk into a bar... No, that’s a different story. A preacher, an ex-hooker, and a junkie get caught in a web of intrigue involving an underground political movement bent on assassination. Queensrÿche differentiated themselves here from the better-selling ’80s poodle metal bands by not being butt-stupid.

Posts: 95 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Wingracer: here you go (I know you said you found it, but just to make sure you see the HD, full version [Big Grin] ).

I'm quite a fan of Chopin and Raindrop in particular. If we did composers... well he'd at least make the short list (short list for the list I guess?). When it comes to straight piano music, it's him and Liszt for me, with the latter edging out the former. And it's wonderful because classical pianists really seem to enjoy playing those two, and so there are so many recordings of their pieces, not only can you always find someone who played what you want to hear, and normally you can find someone who plays it in a way that you can really appreciate.

Hobbes [Smile]

Aros
Member # 4873

I do like Avett Brothers. Could Devendra Banhart be added to the list? He's not quite as well known, and certainly not as commercial, but he's definately something to listen to.

Anais Mitchell being omitted is almost criminal.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Male singers:
The National. I really love Matt Berninger's voice.

Indie Folk/Psychadelic Artists of the 2000's:
I'll second afr's recommendation of Earlimart.
Grizzly Bear
Department of Eagles

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
Aros - I like Devendra Banhart quite a bit. His music is really weird, but in a fun way.

Danielson Familie (aka Danielson aka Brother Danielson) put out some really great indie/folksy albums too. They toured with Sufjan Stevens a lot.

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

I don't think Devendra Banhart is a very good song-writer, but his production gives all of his songs a very mellow vibe, like they could be used in Tarantino films.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.