FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It's banned books week, help me choose a read.

Author Topic: It's banned books week, help me choose a read.
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
Well this is banned books week. To get into the spirit, I'd like to pick up a banned book to read. Anyone got some good suggestions? I'm thinking something more recent, highly controversial but also an enjoyable read.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Banned by whom? Anyone?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a bunch In Hong Kong, a Sanctuary for Banned Books
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Any "banned book list" i have would be really small, and just be on principle. Like "Dragons: Lexicon Triumvirate"
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

That's one of the problems I'm facing. Most of these lists I'm finding include anything ever banned (or even just challenged) by anyone, anywhere. If 20 people in Africa didn't like a children's book, it's on the list.

And there we have another problem, these lists are cluttered with children's books and YA stuff banned for sexual content or drug use or religious content, etc. I'm looking for something more meaty.

Right now I'm leaning towards Hit Man: A Technical Manual for Independent Contractors

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my favorite frequently banned classics:
- Catcher in the Rye
- Lolita
- The Sun Also Rises
- Slaughterhouse Five
- A Clockwork Orange

I was a hesitant to read Lolita, and I certainly had more objection to the content than any of the others, but it is fascinating from a literary perspective. It's quite an interesting portrait of human obsession. And it has some of the most interesting use of the English language I've read (as well as a lot of uber-high level words).

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

Already read Slaughterhouse and Clockwork. Believe it or not, I have never read Catcher. I don't know why, it's just never crossed my path. I guess this would be an excellent time to finally do so.

I am seriously considering giving Lolita a shot. I too am hesitant about the subject matter but I love a good obsession story.

Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Anarchist's Cookbook.

I know there was talk about it being banned when it was released here in the states. I don't know if it ever was.

... hmmmmm. Apparently you can get it on Amazon. Just be warned, I don't know if you will be put on a terrorist watchlist for ordering or reading it. [Razz]

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

I actually read it online back in the very early days of the internet. Had some interesting stuff in it but mostly pretty outdated even then.
DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
If you choose "Catcher in the Rye," be prepared for a plot that meanders but ultimately goes nowhere and a protaganist who is a whiny jerk to everyone.

I hated that book. Can you tell?

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Catcher in the Rye. Holden's way of talking stayed with me for weeks after I read it, and I thought he made some really good points. I'll have to read it again and see if I still like the book.

Clockwork Orange was also a fascinating read. Once I got the hang of the lingo I was using that, too. Still call my buddies my "droogs" now and then. And is there a more perfect word than "yarbles"?

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Catcher too.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

Catcher is one of the best examples of an author trying to capture the disillusionment of a youth growing up in a society where he doesn't share it's values or buy into the "system".

SLC Punk also did a good job of this. I like the quote where Stevo's father states . . . "I didn't sell out, Stevo. I bought in."

A lot of young people have a hard time integrating into the adult world. They have a lot of questions to which there are no easy answers. Sometimes rebellion seems the best course. Sometimes it seems easier just to check out, so to speak. It was a sentiment I felt at one point in time, and nothing quite captures it as well as Catcher.

Then again, there are people who never understood this sort of thing, and there are people who require a pop-fic linear plot structure. These people will probably not appreciate the work as much. It does seem to try to capture a series of sentiments and feelings more than it tries to tell a traditional story.

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

Vonnegut is really tasty to me right now. I'm quite enjoying Breakfast of Champions. I'm certain that it's been banned a time or two.
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Lol...Ender's Game is banned by some people.

And I can't believe the Sun Also Rises is banned. People are so stupid.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
De Sade is probably the way to go.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
De Sade is probably the way to go.

I've always wanted to read him. Might have to give it a shot.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:
Lol...Ender's Game is banned by some people.

And I can't believe the Sun Also Rises is banned. People are so stupid.

The Sun Also Rises was essentially one long, detailed description of a drinking binge. Maybe it was banned in AA meetings?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

Most of the books on these list weren't some kind of national ban. If one high school library in a small ultra-conservative or ultra-religious community received a complaint about a book, it's on the list. There's a story on tor.com about Hitchhikers Guide being banned in one high school in Canada because of the word "whore".
Aros
Member # 4873

The ones are listed were from the top list of most commonly banned literature. There's no such thing as a national ban in the US.
Wingracer
Member # 12293

quote:
Originally posted by Aros:
The ones are listed were from the top list of most commonly banned literature. There's no such thing as a national ban in the US.

True, for the most part. But in certain circumstances, publishers can be held liable for crimes committed using their material and so publishers pull the book, essentially banning it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hit_Man:_A_Technical_Manual_for_Independent_Contractors

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like if you don't read Catcher early enough, Holden ends up more obnoxious than plain-talker.

I read it too late (year after college).

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, not banned books, but for the Vonnegut readers, I still stand by the trifecta of God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater; Cat's Cradle; and Mother Night as his only truly must read books.
Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strangerthanfiction
Member # 13049

- posted      Profile for Strangerthanfiction           Edit/Delete Post 
The Anarchists' Cookbook
I don't really recall the ghostly author(s) [Confused] Or the publisher [Roll Eyes] good luck finding it. I had a copy... about 30 years ago.

[Evil Laugh] This may not be the best way to introduce myself, here. But I must say it is very amusing. [Evil]

Oh! Another one! Not banned but definitely out of print, now, is "Handbook of Applied Mathematics." As I recall, last edition was around 1923. It was the best math book I've ever laid my hands/eyes/mind on for profundity, practical simplicity, and humorous (albeit not intended) commentaries and examples. I've searched rare book bins and lists to exhaustion trying to replace the copy I lost when my house burned, to no avail.
[Hat]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Read it once. Great book if you want to blow yourself up by accident.

explosives and pharmacological substances or whatever are things i prefer being made and used by qualified people for reasons that aren't dumb

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.