FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How are you prepping for the Ender's Game movie?

Author Topic: How are you prepping for the Ender's Game movie?
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
My cinematic adventure is all planned out. I bought five tickets for me and my friends to see the film Thursday night at 8PM. The theater is one of those dine in theaters that are extremely nice, with reclining leather seats and actual ushers who bring you stuff. Nobody under 21 is allowed in after 8, which means it will be all adults. Also, because the theater is so unique, they somehow always get the rights to screen these movies a few hours before midnight, which is great.

Right now in preparation I'm listening to the audioplay, which is fantastic and makes for a much different experience than the book and, presumably, the movie.

So I can't wait. I'm really excited about it.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottF
Member # 9356

- posted      Profile for ScottF   Email ScottF         Edit/Delete Post 
I happen to be in the UK on business right now and saw the movie today. Loved it. I thought Asa butterfield was fantastic and also enjoyed Ford's performance. Ben Kingsley, not so much but it didn't detract from the story.

I had no real expectations, so maybe I was easily satisfied, but I thought it was exceptional.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millernumber1
Member # 9894

- posted      Profile for millernumber1   Email millernumber1         Edit/Delete Post 
Drat it. Didn't realize the second comment was a review.

Anyway - I am trying to get 7 friend to go see it in IMAX Thursday at 10:45. If I could, I would have tried for 8, but schedules didn't work out. I'm hoping to go multiple times, if I enjoy it! But the other times, I'm hoping for slightly more matinee prices [Smile]

Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I plan on going Friday night. No awesome IMAX or total immersion theaters, just the local first-run theater. Stadium seating, though!

ScottF's "review" makes me even more stoked to see it. Can't wait. [Smile]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
I so, so wanted to see it opening weekend, preferably with a Friday night crowd. But something came up.

I'll most likely catch it in the following week at an empty theater. But still, Ender's Game The Movie ya'll.

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, so my plan consists of being patient for another three months or so... For some reason it will only come out in January over here. [Frown]
Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vineyarddawg
Member # 13007

- posted      Profile for vineyarddawg           Edit/Delete Post 
I've already got tickets for an 8:00 Thursday night showing at the IMAX closest to my home. Can't wait! [Smile]
Posts: 124 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Hoping to see it with my significant other on Friday. And then planning to see again with my immediate family who have also read the book.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
I won screening passes, so I'll get to see it here in Portland tomorrow at 7:00 (10/29). I wouldn't have been able to go opening night, so it worked out awesome.

I also hope to attend again over the weekend to help boost the box office numbers.

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Let us know what you think. [Smile]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to see it this weekend when it's out in Spain. I should hear how it is from people in the UK before then, so if they hate it I might just save my money and go see Thor instead.

I've been waiting 19 years for this movie, so I really hope it doesn't utterly suck.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

- posted      Profile for Heisenberg           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Y:
Yeah, so my plan consists of being patient for another three months or so... For some reason it will only come out in January over here. [Frown]

This is the internet, my friend. The only "heres" and "theres" that exist are the ones that you allow the production companies to push on you.
Posts: 572 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heisenberg:
quote:

This is the internet, my friend. The only "heres" and "theres" that exist are the ones that you allow the production companies to push on you.
I love that the guy with the name "Heisenberg" is the one saying this. XD
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottF
Member # 9356

Translation: Use bit torrent or some other site to steal the content from the artists, the director(s), and yes, all those nasty people trying to get paid for creating and distributing the product. It's not really stealing because they're all rich anyway, right?
Posts: 135 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Rotten Tomatoes has it at 74% right now. I'm starting to let myself get excited.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

quote:
Originally posted by ScottF:
Translation: Use bit torrent or some other site to steal the content from the artists, the director(s), and yes, all those nasty people trying to get paid for creating and distributing the product. It's not really stealing because they're all rich anyway, right?

1) I'm pretty sure that those people have already been paid.

2) If the poor, downtrodden production company needs the money of the people in Y 's area so much, they should perhaps consider releasing it in that area in a timely fashion. Not that I really believe that Y is going to avail himself of the opportunity, I was just reminding him that it existed.

Posts: 572 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottF
Member # 9356

Some of those people get paid on the back end based on box office and DVD revenue. Not that many of them, to your point, are poor and suffering.

I'm not on any crusade, but people should at least be honest enough (pun intended) to admit they are stealing a product, regardless of the justification they comfort themselves with.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm taking my kids Friday night. My students who have just finished studying the book are all making plans to go as well. I may try and meet up with them.

I love what this book has done as far as rejuvenating reading at my middle school. My students begged me to read Speaker for the Dead with them, but I told them we couldn't read it in class, but I would read it with a small group that wanted to meet with me in the mornings before school. I now have an impromptu quickly-formed book club that is starting next week.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
I try not to download, if it is possible. I have more than once paid 40 EUR to import CD's, when I could of course have downloaded the music.

In the case of the Ender's Game movie I just want the first time that I see it to be on the big screen.

Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be picking it up at Redbox or watching it when it hits HBO or Showtime.

I still haven't seen Captain Phillips, so I'll be seeing that this weekend.

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
Going with a big group of friends and family Friday night. Almost everyone has read--or is reading--the book.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

quote:
I try not to download, if it is possible. I have more than once paid 40 EUR to import CD's, when I could of course have downloaded the music.

In the case of the Ender's Game movie I just want the first time that I see it to be on the big screen.

That's cool, you're definitely right that seeing a movie on the big screen is much better then on a computer monitor or television. Anc I don't think you and I are the only two to think along those lines, which is why I'm not concerned about bit torrents ending Hollywood. The entertainment industry used up their wolf warnings with me when they tried to convince people that napster would end up with your only music option being the bard at your local pub.
DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my thoughts after watching the movie tonight:

It took a long time to make it to the big screen, but I'm glad it waited long enough to fall into the right hands. Gavin Hood, who directed and wrote the screenplay, was obviously a fan of the source material and he treats it with respect and (dare I say it) love.

The acting is great, which is a surprise because Harrison Ford's voiceovers in the trailers seemed forced and stilted. All of the actors turn in credible performances, and I was never thrust out of the story by cheesy lines or bad acting.

The special effects are top-notch. There aren't any "that looks so fake!" moments like you get in a lot of modern movies. Instead, the environments feel real and the CGI blends seamlessly with the practical effects work.

If I have one complaint, it's that the movie should have been longer. We only get a couple of Battle Room scenes and I enjoyed them, so more would have been better. And the timeline of the film feels forced compared to the several-year timeline in the book. I understand *why* things were rushed, but I was glad I had read the book and knew the background info that was cut.

All in all, as a fan of the book, I am happy. I can't really think of how it could have been made better, which is high praise.

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by narrativium:
I'll be picking it up at Redbox or watching it when it hits HBO or Showtime.

I still haven't seen Captain Phillips, so I'll be seeing that this weekend.

Boooooo....hissssss!

You should unregister your account here and stick to reddit or whichever.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

Yeah, well you should unregister your face!

Oh. Snap.

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

No. Seriously. You should be ashamed.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
An 8:00 show isn't unique. That's just how the industry is going. Sounds like a nice theatre though.
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

I am, Stone Wolf. Every day.

But not because I'm skipping this movie.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

In all seriousness, if you are not fan enough to see Ender's Game in the theater, why are you on this board?
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he loves the Alvin books.

Maybe he likes Ender's Game, but hates people who disapprove of gay marriage and wants them and those around them to suffer for their unapproved beliefs.

Maybe he loves Ender's Game so much that he can't bear to see the changes that will invariably have been made in putting it on film.

Maybe a friend of his is also a poster here.

There are lots of possible reasons. I'd recommend chilling a bit. Although his posting in this thread about how he isn't going to go see it is a bit of a douche move, there's no need to respond in kind.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Captain Phillips is really good.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Thanks for the advice Danf...but I -do- hav a rep to maintain. [Big Grin]
millernumber1
Member # 9894

- posted      Profile for millernumber1   Email millernumber1         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got back! My group was a lot bigger than I'd hoped - 10 people plus me, two of whom I'd given the book to 2 years ago when the film first started production. I liked it, and enjoyed that it almost never contradicted the book in a way that made it impossible for me to imagine the book filling in the gaps. But it was too compressed for me to ever find a moment in it and embrace it as the way I would want to make it. The lack of time meant that the suffering Ender and his jeesh go through just doesn't have the impact - it's not as earned.

That being said, I'm so glad it's this film, and not another film that clearly doesn't care about the book or its fans. While I could ask for another hour, I couldn't ask for a film that tries harder given its constraints.

Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I'm seeing it tomorrow morning with my wife and mother. My mom put the book in my hands about two decades ago and convinced me to read it (no small feat at the time).

We have reserved seats which rumble.

So excited!

Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in rural NW Pennsylvania so I had to drive about 40 minutes to catch the 8PM show last night. I left late and got to my seat just as the last trailer/ad had finished. Whew!!!

It was the first movie I've ever had to go to the movies by myself, but I'm too big a fan to have missed the preview showing especially since I had the day off. My son has become a huge fan, single-handedly got the book on his HS required reading list, and even attempted a school-sanctioned field trip to see the film. Sadly today is a day of holy obligation for his Catholic HS and that prevented the field trip today. Maybe next week will pan out.

Anyway, I plan to see the film every day until all my friends and family have gone with me!

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vineyarddawg
Member # 13007

- posted      Profile for vineyarddawg           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by millernumber1:
Just got back! My group was a lot bigger than I'd hoped - 10 people plus me, two of whom I'd given the book to 2 years ago when the film first started production. I liked it, and enjoyed that it almost never contradicted the book in a way that made it impossible for me to imagine the book filling in the gaps. But it was too compressed for me to ever find a moment in it and embrace it as the way I would want to make it. The lack of time meant that the suffering Ender and his jeesh go through just doesn't have the impact - it's not as earned.

That being said, I'm so glad it's this film, and not another film that clearly doesn't care about the book or its fans. While I could ask for another hour, I couldn't ask for a film that tries harder given its constraints.

This is a perfect summation.
Posts: 124 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.