FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » These Article Titles are So Insanely Hyperbolic that YOU CAN'T HELP BUT CLICK

Author Topic: These Article Titles are So Insanely Hyperbolic that YOU CAN'T HELP BUT CLICK
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Real:
I Wasn't Feeling The Holiday Spirit Until I Heard This. The Chills Down My Spine Might Never Go Away.

Scientists Confirmed This Is The Only Christmas Song You'll Never Get Tired Of Hearing

Indisputable Proof That “Bewitched” Had The Greatest Witch Of All Time

Real?:

You Haven't Lived Until You've Read This Article: Life Will Never Be The Same

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
A car blog I like to read always has a few good ones.

Elon Musk Slays Writer's Vampire Tesla Problem

Car Hits Deer, Deer Hits Jogger

Badass Teen Girl Monster Trucker Is Badass

Shanghai Has Become A Smog-Filled Dystopian Nightmare

Carjackers Who Stole Truck Full of Radioactive Waste Likely to Die

A Car Fell On My Head

What it's like to fly a fighter jet—strapped to its wing

Paul Walker Was a Goddamn Saint

Those are just from the last couple days. There are many more that would actually fit better with the topic but I don't feel like digging that far back.

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

It's funny how mainstream this style of clickbaiting is, now.

Old People Shake Fists at Internet, Can't Understand Reasonable Enthusiasm For Entertainment

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vineyarddawg
Member # 13007

- posted      Profile for vineyarddawg           Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite headline of all time came in a newspaper headline on October 16, 1978, when a newspaper in Georgia declared that a "non-catholic cardinal" had been elected Pope.

The story had become something of an urban legend before it was publicly acknowledged by the paper when Pope Benedict was elected.

Posts: 124 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's hardly hyperbolic. It's exactly what Mexican nuclear officials reported.

The people who extracted the solid chunk of Cobalt-60 from its protective coating and handled it are going to die.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
That's hardly hyperbolic. It's exactly what Mexican nuclear officials reported.

The people who extracted the solid chunk of Cobalt-60 from its protective coating and handled it are going to die.

Oh I know, I just pulled my favorites from the first two pages. They have had some great hyperbolic ones but I'm too lazy to dig for them.

They just posted this gem:

Best Motoring Tests The McLaren F1 And It's Amazeballs

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Nelson Mandela Death Articles' Comments Sections Sparking Global Civil War
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
If you use Twitter, I highly recommend following https://twitter.com/HuffPoSpoilers It takes the linkbait Huffington Post tweets and tells you what the story's actually about, saving you a click.

LAX RT @HuffingtonPost: GROSS: Brown, contaminated water plagues airport http://huff.to/1f7sfUc

Got old and/or died RT @HuffingtonPost: This is what happened to the original "Sound of Music" cast http://huff.to/1eZ6t54

Barenaked Ladies RT @HuffingtonPost: Grammy-nominated band cancels show at SeaWorld after watching documentary

Towels RT @Slate You probably won't guess what Walmart's biggest Black Friday seller was: http://slate.me/IClPAA

Different race; she was adopted RT @HuffingtonPost Why people constantly ask this woman if she's married to her dad

Except she wore a bra underneath so not really RT @HuffingtonPost @KimKardashian bares it ALL in completely sheer top http://huff.to/1bMES6x

Which you decided to publicize for some reason MT @HuffingtonPost @BritneySpears' exact measurements revealed in body double casting notice

Please learn what "proof" means. RT @HuffingtonPost: Proof that supermodels don't age http://huff.to/1e3nH0E

And my very favorite one, which comes up a lot:

Person Wears Clothes in Public RT @HuffingtonPost: Kim Kardashian steps out in skinny jeans http://huff.to/1bzQHNk

(When HuffPo uses a headline that includes the word "flaunt," i.e. "Miley flaunts bikini body," the spoiler headline becomes "Person Wears Clothes Appropriate To Their Activities."

I love HuffPoSpoilers.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite are upworthy links to videos where they state specific significant time stamps because people are too lazy to sit through an *entire* video.

"What this 14 year old has to say about sexism will blow your mind.

At 0:47 she tells you why she underwent plastic surgery. At 1:39 she describes trying to kill herself. At 2:50 she makes you angry. Then, at 3:20 she asked herself a question that will scare the hell out of you."

edit: Now when I watch the video I can just catch the one-liners without any of the contextual nonsense, AND upworthy has told me how I ought to react at these key moments so I don't even need to have my own (obviously misguided) reaction!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
My favorite are upworthy links to videos where they state specific significant time stamps because people are too lazy to sit through an *entire* video.

"What this 14 year old has to say about sexism will blow your mind.

At 0:47 she tells you why she underwent plastic surgery. At 1:39 she describes trying to kill herself. At 2:50 she makes you angry. Then, at 3:20 she asked herself a question that will scare the hell out of you."

edit: Now when I watch the video I can just catch the one-liners without any of the contextual nonsense, AND upworthy has told me how I ought to react at these key moments so I don't even need to have my own (obviously misguided) reaction!

I feel bad for the sucker whose job it is to sit through those videos in their entirety just to identify the parts I'm going to want to watch. Imagine having to pay attention to one thing for so long! It's like living 5 lifetimes before you're 30! I had something else to say but I lost interest!

When I want irresistible headlines that the article can't possibly live up to, I head to Slate.com oh hey I got a text c ya.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
If you use Twitter, I highly recommend following https://twitter.com/HuffPoSpoilers It takes the linkbait Huffington Post tweets and tells you what the story's actually about, saving you a click.

Oh, man, that's great.

AfR, it's really a shame what Slate has become, isn't it? I'd be curious to know if their traffic has gone up as a result of the changes they've made to the site. It used to be a site that I visited multiple times a day, but I basically don't visit it anymore. I'm afraid that I'm in the minority, though, and that they're getting a lot more traffic than they used to.

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, in my observation Slate did themselves a huge disservice with the design update. It's almost a ghost town compared to what it used to be as far as the lively comments sections. And their best writers seem to be leaving for other publications as well. It's rare to find anything well-written and thoughtful there anymore.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Just checked Slate to see the new design.

It just makes my eyes tired. Right off the bat.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.