FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ben Stein walks into a Taco Bell...

Author Topic: Ben Stein walks into a Taco Bell...
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
He starts up a conversation with a bunch of local teenagers. He is quite impressed with them. He finds out what high school they go to. Soon after he leaves a note with the principal's secretary that he would like to come by and work with students. He offers his experience in language arts/English, drama, and politics/history.

This is the high school that my middle school students feed into. Classy guy, just kind of happy he did not visit the biology classes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEmM6OBF0vI&feature=youtu.be

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
My mind filled in the rest of that title.

Ben Stein walks into a Taco Bel, he tells the impoverished woman behind the counter to be happy when a rich foreign diplomat demands sexual attention.

There is no punch-line.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Once upon a time, I might think Ben Stein being at my high school was cool.

These days, not so much.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Classy guy, just kind of happy he did not visit the biology classes.
HA!
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
if he was impressed with them, why's he trying to ruin their education in return
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
if he was impressed with them, why's he trying to ruin their education in return

Regardless of anything else, he is an excellent historical primary source from his speech writing days.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason I envisions Ben Stiller when I read the OP.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Who is this guy? I don't think I've ever heard of him.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
He was a speech writer for Nixon and Ford who later went into acting. If you've seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off you'd probably recognize him as the teacher who gave the dry economics lecture. He had a game show called Win Ben Stein's Money in the 90s which you also might have seen.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

He did the dry teacher act on Wonder Years to.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:
Who is this guy? I don't think I've ever heard of him.

He achieved a reputation as a really smart guy, but has tainted it with some anti-science activism.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
And by making predictions about the economy that proved laughably wrong.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
And by blaming the victim of a sexual assault, based mostly on the fact that she was poor and her attacker was rich.

Nice guy right?

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Ben Stein had a pretty cool talk show. It was honestly pretty cool! And he's walking breathing proof that you can have a profound wealth of knowledge and intellectual capacity and yet be a bat-huffingly insane moron. To, not to put too fine a point on it.

Expelled! No Intelligence Allowed was the most inane national release documentary I can think of — it's basically a Ron Lambert evolution thread in movie form — but he gets extra bonus credit points for how completely absurd his defense of Strauss-Kahn was in terms of that rape controversy.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

Oh I remember him now. I think he was in the Mask, but I certainly remember his gameshow and his scenes in Farris Bueller. Say, what did he say that was so stupid about science?
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tertiaryadjunct
Member # 12989

- posted      Profile for tertiaryadjunct           Edit/Delete Post 
Among many other things, released a ridiculous pro-Intelligent Design "documentary".
Posts: 89 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

OH I see. Yeah, that's pretty stupid.
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

Also, I love that Stein completely misquoted Darwin, rearranging and omitting entire sentences and parts of sentences, just to twist it into something he thought would help him.

That kind of misrepresentation shouldn't be allowed to make it into a film. If it does, they should be fined for it. Look at the differences here:

Stein's quote of Darwin:
quote:
With savages, the weak in body or mind are soon eliminated. We civilized men, on the other hand, do our utmost to check the process of elimination. We build asylums for the imbecile, the maimed and the sick. Thus the weak members of civilized societies propagate their kind. No one who has attended to the breeding of domestic animals will doubt that this must be highly injurious to the race of man. Hardly anyone is so ignorant as to allow his worst animals to breed.
The actual quote from Darwin:
quote:
With savages, the weak in body or mind are soon eliminated; and those that survive commonly exhibit a vigorous state of health. We civilized men, on the other hand, do our utmost to check the process of elimination. We build asylums for the imbecile, the maimed and the sick; we institute poor-laws; and our medical men exert their utmost skill to save the life of every one to the last moment. There is reason to believe that vaccination has preserved thousands, who from a weak constitution would formerly have succumbed to small-pox. Thus the weak members of civilized societies propagate their kind. No one who has attended to the breeding of domestic animals will doubt that this must be highly injurious to the race of man. It is surprising how soon a want of care, or care wrongly directed, leads to the degeneration of a domestic race; but excepting in the case of man himself, hardly anyone is so ignorant as to allow his worst animals to breed.
The aid which we feel impelled to give to the helpless is mainly an incidental result of the instinct of sympathy, which was originally acquired as part of the social instincts, but subsequently rendered, in the manner previously indicated, more tender and more widely diffused. Nor could we check our sympathy, even at the urging of hard reason, without deterioration in the noblest part of our nature. The surgeon may harden himself whilst performing an operation, for he knows that he is acting for the good of his patient; but if we were intentionally to neglect the weak and helpless, it could only be for a contingent benefit, with an overwhelming present evil.

The differences are staggering. I really can't believe it.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
It's bad enough when someone comes by that sort of zealous stupidity honestly. Considering Stein's background and career, though, that becomes somewhat difficult to credit. He is at best some shade of liar-either for not reading and claiming he did, or worse for reading, and then knowingly lying about what was written.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...but he gets extra bonus credit points for how completely absurd his defense of Strauss-Kahn was in terms of that rape controversy.

To be fair, it sounds quite a bit like this lady tried to shake Kahn down*.

*so to speak

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

any fair point in relation to the Strauss-Kahn issue is lightyears away from how Stein tried to defend him

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-may-19-2011/la-cage-aux-fools

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

Lol wow, you'd think for a smart guy he'd have more common sense, but that so-called defense of his is just stupid.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
any fair point in relation to the Strauss-Kahn issue is lightyears away from how Stein tried to defend him

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-may-19-2011/la-cage-aux-fools

I'd forgotten some of those defenses...
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
...but he gets extra bonus credit points for how completely absurd his defense of Strauss-Kahn was in terms of that rape controversy.

To be fair, it sounds quite a bit like this lady tried to shake Kahn down*.

*so to speak

Are you basing that on the translated phone call that was recorded? You know that the defense's translation was disputed, right? The victim did get a settlement from Kahn to drop her civil lawsuit, but I wouldn't call that a shake-down.

The prosecution dropped the charges because they didn't think the case was winnable, and said the victim's story wasn't consistant. There have been many studies that show that victims of trauma, including sexual assault, frequently come across as inconsistant afterwards because of how the brain deals with trauma. I'm not making a judgement here about what happened one way or the other -- we don't have anywhere near the facts to know. I'm just saying that given that, saying that it sounds like she tried to shake him down is not, in fact, being fair.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.