FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Open Office?

Author Topic: Open Office?
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it when I copy and paste into Open Office from the internet into a document, it ends up in some weirdly formatted table?

And how do I make it stop?

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably the wrong place to get advice for this.

Nevertheless:

Firstly, about 6 years ago, I had terrible trouble (forgot exactly what) with their version of powerpoint (Impress) and then I installed the later one and it was fine. So do that.

Is there a "paste special" option in OO.org? It would be in the edit menu, if it doesn't come up when you right click. (I don't have it on this laptop, sorry). If there is, you need to choose the plain text option or the "match destination formatting".

Or you could try pasting the text into a text editor that only accepts plain text. I believe Wordpad is the PC version of what you want that should come with your OS-- haven't use a PC in a while, sorry. TextEdit is the Mac Equivalent. By default, it uses richly formatted text (rtf), press "cmd shift t" to get it into plain text mode. The text editor should strip all its formatting, so then copy it a second time. If you are running Linux, you wouldn't be asking for tech support on a science fiction discussion forum.

I assume you are trying to copy text? An entire webpage isn't going to look right, sorry. It has objects everywhere. You may have to pull out the parts you need in small chunks if everything is in little boxes. The order and what gets included will most likely be not what you expect.

And since it is finals time for college kids, for the love of everything, please do not copy things from the internet and turn it into your professors.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could be more helpful but I swore off Open Office a long time ago, and with my being back in school MS Office was free through my school.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sphinx
Member # 10219

- posted      Profile for Sphinx   Email Sphinx         Edit/Delete Post 
The reason it's doing it is because the default is to paste in HTML format, which includes the weird tables and things. I have no idea how to change it; there's probably a menu somewhere that can handle it, but you'd have to find it.

Ctrl + Shift + V is the OpenOffice (and MSWord, I think) command for Paste Special. You can do the same thing by clicking the dropdown arrow next to the paste button in the toolbar at the top of the screen and then selecting how you want the program to paste. That will let you paste without those boxes/tables/HTML things.

(Apologies if this was no longer necessary)

Posts: 40 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I paste things into Notepad to remove formatting. At work I have to work on obits, and things like superscript "th" on dates like "30th" mess up the lines. So, Notepad takes care of this and I can copy from there and paste into the obits program.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Aha. Notepad. That's what it's called on a Windows machine.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help, everybody.

Ctrl + Shift + V is exactly the miracle I was hoping for. Thanks, Sphinx.

Pasting into notepad has always been my work-around, too, but now I have this new stupid windows, and I could start a half a dozen threads on all the stupid things I can't figure out how to do in that, and one of them is open Notepad from the desktop.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Windows 8?

Google "iobit start 8," download and install. Or any of the competitors. Handy way to restore the start menu to windows 8, and get easy access to accessories, programs, control panel, etc. from the desktop.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Probot 2.0
Member # 14146

- posted      Profile for Probot 2.0           Edit/Delete Post 
01001101 01111001 00100000 01101111 01100110 01100110 01101001 01100011 01100101 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01110111 01100001 01111001 01110011 00100000 01101111 01110000 01100101 01101110 00101110
Posts: 10 | Registered: Nov 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* No, it certainly is not.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.