FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » old man blogs at cloud (Page 37)

This topic comprises 37 pages: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37   
Author Topic: old man blogs at cloud
tertiaryadjunct
Member # 12989

- posted      Profile for tertiaryadjunct           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just think this whole laptop thing began in Europe, where officious authorities really hate it when you have a device that you can use for many different purposes that are not under their control.
Is he really so out of the loop on what was a major US presidential scandal (bragging about our laptop-bomb intelligence to Russia)? I mean, I know there are like too many scandals to keep track of these days, but that was a pretty big one.

I can only assume Fox News never mentioned it.

Posts: 89 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just think this whole laptop thing began in Europe, where officious authorities really hate it when you have a device that you can use for many different purposes that are not under their control. If you've ever been given a "suggestion" by a policeman or a flight attendant anywhere in Europe, you know how arrogant and unyielding the authorities can be.
I'd love to hear some examples of these suggestions that he's talking about.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
It's particularly funny given that we've had passengers beaten on planes in the USA-not Europe, so far as I know.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Instead, because of their naked attacks on President Trump and their obvious leftwing bias, along with several instances of outright lies and stories based on nothing, CNN is a distant third place and Fox remains in first.

Meanwhile, about halfway between them, MSNBC, the perpetual also-ran, is now the dominant leftwing slanted news source for liberals who need better comfort than CNN's ham-handed efforts have provided.

Yet the liberal news media still speak of Fox News as if it ran false stories all the time, as if Fox were the biased network. Yet every independent evaluator of news networks consistently rates Fox as the least biased, the most even-handed of all the networks, including ABC, NBC and CBS.

Does anyone know what he's talking about here? I was sort of curious to find the source of these claims and literally couldn't find even one independent evaluator that found Fox to be the least biased network. The two evaluations I found right off the bat, Pew and Politifact, actually said the opposite is true.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, no clue on my end. I might actually ask because I'm curious.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
Does anyone know what he's talking about here? I was sort of curious to find the source of these claims and literally couldn't find even one independent evaluator that found Fox to be the least biased network. The two evaluations I found right off the bat, Pew and Politifact, actually said the opposite is true.

Independent evaluators, Dogbreath. Obviously Pew and Politifact have been bought and paid for by the liberal media. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

Hmmm. Politifact is run by Times Publishing Company, which is owned by the Poynter Institute. I suppose that might count as a bastion of liberal elitism, so you've got me there. But if you read up on Joseph Pew and his descendants, I sincerely doubt the Pew Memorial Trust is in any way an agent of the liberal media/gay agenda/what have you. You can never be too careful, though.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Instead, because of their naked attacks on President Trump and their obvious leftwing bias, along with several instances of outright lies and stories based on nothing, CNN is a distant third place and Fox remains in first.

Meanwhile, about halfway between them, MSNBC, the perpetual also-ran, is now the dominant leftwing slanted news source for liberals who need better comfort than CNN's ham-handed efforts have provided.

Yet the liberal news media still speak of Fox News as if it ran false stories all the time, as if Fox were the biased network. Yet every independent evaluator of news networks consistently rates Fox as the least biased, the most even-handed of all the networks, including ABC, NBC and CBS.

I don't have a linked source for this, but my understanding is that this is based on a survey of the programming during "news hours", where someone just reads the news, which take place during very limited times of the day. The rest of the air time is "commentary", which yeah, is about as biased as you can possibly get and doesn't count in the survey.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

I thought it might be something like that as well, but I searched for a while and couldn't find it. I figured if it was the consensus of every independent evaluator of news networks, it might be easier to find?

I'll have to use my school's virtual library later to see if I can find any published studies.

Dogbreath
Member # 11879

...That was faster than I thought. Anyway, one of the results I found is publicly available from Stanford University: Bias In Cable News: Persuasion and Polarization. Their results are pretty fascinating (the study as a whole concludes that watching Fox News actually causes viewers to become more likely to vote Republican), but on page 10 they specifically go into their methodology:

quote:
To quantify the slant of each news channel in each year, we follow Groseclose and Milyo (2005) and Gentzkow and Shapiro (2010) in comparing the language that the channels use to language that Congresspeople use. This procedure is designed to capture the connotations that a politician or media outlet can imply by using differences in language to describe the same program or policy, e.g., “personal accounts” versus “private accounts” or “war in Iraq” versus “global war on terror.” It cannot, however, pick up all forms of slant present in television news - for instance, the use of quotations or clips from an opponent’s speech in order to satirize or mock the opponent’s views - and thus likely underestimates the dispersion in slant among the slanted outlets. We obtained broadcast transcripts for CNN, FNC, and MSNBC from the Lexis-Nexis database for the sample period 1998-2012 by downloading all transcripts in each year for each identifiable cable news program from each of the three channels... our estimates for this scale factor put FNC very close to the median Republican member of Congress.
Note that this study is from April of 2017 (three months ago), so this is most likely the most recent - or one of the most recent - analyses of the political bias in reporting for the three networks. This is the visualization of the results of the aforementioned transcript analysis:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1apy8pdrq7kki47/cable_news_bias.JPG?dl=0

It would appear that, up until 2012 at least, CNN has consistently been the least politically skewed in their reporting. For most of the time period studied the baseline (no ideological bias at all) is within the 95% confidence interval, and while they did take a sharp turn to the left around 2008, it appears they have since mostly regressed to the mean. (As opposed to Fox and MSNBC which have continued to become more ideologically skewed)

Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmmm. Politifact is run by Times Publishing Company, which is owned by the Poynter Institute. I suppose that might count as a bastion of liberal elitism, so you've got me there. But if you read up on Joseph Pew and his descendants, I sincerely doubt the Pew Memorial Trust is in any way an agent of the liberal media/gay agenda/what have you. You can never be too careful, though.

Jonathon was kidding, if that wasn't clear.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

It was. I was going with the joke. [Smile]
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh good. I wasn't quite sure.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

quote:
Originally posted by JanitorBlade:
Yeah, no clue on my end. I might actually ask because I'm curious.

By any chance did you get a response? If not that's fine, I'm mostly just curious to find out what his source was.
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still waiting for a response on a previous query so I haven't asked this one yet, unfortunately.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 37 pages: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.