FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Human Rights Violations and Germany

Author Topic: Human Rights Violations and Germany
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
And it isn't what you think!

Though the official statements claim that they are not commenting on the (hateful, ignorant, disgusting, destructive) anti-gay laws that are making the Sochi Olympics a first world political problem, the imagery begs to differ.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/02/germany-olympics-rainbow-uniform_n_4030737.html

Whether they are silently showing solidarity, or this time around they just feel a bit colorful, I love it. Though in a related topic, the Russians have already put out a design for Sochi Olympic gloves, with rainbow fingers. They seem to be ignorant of the irony.

http://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/streams/2013/October/131002/8C9255659-tdy-131002-gloves-olympics-1.blocks_desktop_large.jpg

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't really blame them for not being aware of what the rainbow flag means here. It's not a worldwide universal symbol for gay pride. I'd argue it's certainly a Western World symbol of gay pride.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
There's no purple. It's not the gay rights flag.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vegimo
Member # 12618

- posted      Profile for vegimo           Edit/Delete Post 
Black, green, yellow, red, blue....the fingers on those gloves are, oddly enough, the same colors as the Olympic rings.
Posts: 95 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say that probably a lot of Russians know about the rainbow flag. Having said that, I've also known some Russians who were pretty incredibly oblivious about gay people and issues. But I've also met gay Russians and they definitely knew all about rainbows.

I'd also say that those gloves don't look very rainbowy at all. There's a black finger, for starters. They're just multicolored.

Also, not surprised about the Germans, if that's what they're up to. Germans are generally pretty liberal these days.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vegimo:
Black, green, yellow, red, blue....the fingers on those gloves are, oddly enough, the same colors as the Olympic rings.

Right.

The irony isn't so much lost on them as it is kind of misplaced.

Even if they did put the two together, I doubt they're going to throw the Olympic rings overboard because they share colors with the rainbow, which happens to be a gay pride symbol.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.