FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 2014 Sochi Olympics (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 2014 Sochi Olympics
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to, uh, digress or anything here... but has US Curling always been this bad?
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The US men took a bronze in Torino, but Curling hasn't been an Olympic event all that long.

They actually came into the round robin this year expecting to get on the podium, but it certainly doesn't look that way from how they are playing.

I think the early matches are coming as something of a surprise. The US have been on the rise in curling for the last decade.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Although funny, I do feel guilty about the language bits. How crappy would our (North American) translations into Russian be?

Why on Earth would they be bad? It costs not much at all to hire a Russian copywriter to review texts before printing. This is my job (among other things), and I save companies from embarrassing themselves on a weekly basis. It doesn't cost much.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
That seems all pretty straightforward to me, Lyrhawn.

I'll be blunt: much of your criticism reads to me as 'hey, who is America to...' sort of thing, Mucus. Admittedly my own biases play into that, but I really do question whether or not yours do as well. Hosting an Olympics is rather an enormous international prestige, and to simply assume that assigning it is a decision uncoupled from any other concerns seems strange to me.

That said, it's not as though the IOC has been a bastion of human rights and ethics consciousntiousness either.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. The IOC lets the olympics feature terrified hostages who are performing under duress knowing that if they do not perform well, they and their families may be sent to work camps that will kill them (or they might just be killed outright) so my opinion of them as an institution is already in a position that can't be bumped up or down too much by the Sochi stuff.

(but it was bumped down a bit)

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think things will start to improve somewhat under Bach.

We'll see, though.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
For those complaining about the IOC, I give you: FIFA!
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
It's like the IOC and FIFA are competing to see which is the most awful

IT'S OK IOC, FIFA WON ALREADY, YOU DON'T HAVE TO KEEP TRYING

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Oy.

I was just saying this to a friend. The IOC has to be terrified of what they are seeing.

I know the IOC wants to expand to new second world countries, but it goes to show that the modern Olympics aren't something that anyone can just throw together.

theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Strictly speaking, Brazil isn't a second world country....
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well they aren't first world, but it seems a little extreme to put them in the same category as Swaziland.
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Second World refers to the Eastern Bloc.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

protip: first/second/third world is a uselessly outdated metric that was of limited use to begin with and doesn't describe countries very well anyway
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by theamazeeaz:
Second World refers to the Eastern Bloc.

I've never heard that as a specific, automatic, hard reference.

And even if it was, isn't that outdated? Half the Eastern Bloc is in the EU now with dramatically increased standards of living.

theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/third_world_countries.htm
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.