FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 100k tune up

Author Topic: 100k tune up
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
What are some typical things that cars routinely need to have maintained at 100,000 miles? (The vehicle in question is a 2006 Ford Escape SUV)

Some starter ideas:

Flush out the engine
Flush out the coolant
Flush out the brakes

Check brake pads/rotors
Check all other fluids

Change spark plugs
Change filter
Change belts

I know it needs an oil change and tire rotation too.

Any other important things I am missing?

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a service manual -- sometimes it's part of the owner's manual -- that was sold with your vehicle that includes a recommended schedule of services. Seriously.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
For most vehicles you can just Google the info as well.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about the escape but Ford SUVs are pretty notorious for wearing out front end parts. Ball joints and tie-rod ends could need replacing if they haven't been already. Same with front wheel bearings if it has in the rotor style but being a 2006, it's probably a sealed hub so leave them alone unless there is a problem.

I do NOT recommend a flush of the transmission. If an automatic makes it 100k, leave it the hell alone. Having the pan dropped and the filter replaced is always a good idea but again, do NOT have it flushed.

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, sometimes only the dirt and grip is holding the gears together
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
What Tom said is the best advice.
Specifically addressing your points you listed:

Flushing the engine isn't needed. Just change your oil regularly.

Flushing your cooling system isn't needed either unless there was something that contaminated your cooling system like a blown head-gasket. Draining and filling your radiator per the maintenance schedule is all that's needed.

Flushing your brakes is only needed if the manufacturers call for it. A lot of german makes recommend it. Honda does as well. It's only for moisture absorption, it's a time-based thing, not mileage.

Rotating the tires and checking brake linings and rotor/drum condition should be done every 5k or so. Fluids should be checked every oil change. The rest should be listed in your maintenance schedule.

In short, don't let anybody sell you anything the manufacturer didn't recommend and steal your hard-earned dough.

I see that all the time. I'm a professional mechanic at a dealership.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.