FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dare I Learn to Love Congress Again?

Author Topic: Dare I Learn to Love Congress Again?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Link.

It's like a teenager who has blown off the entire year in favor of video games, drugs, and cage fighting telling me they've decided to clean their room, just because it should be done.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
What if they pass *two* clean debt ceiling bills?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe congress' plan was to act so horribly that even the thinnest veneer of not completely destructive behavior was suitable for the population
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
No.

Boehner did it for two reasons 1. Not because his caucus really wanted to, but because they all agreed it was a bad idea but couldn't agree on what to demand in exchange for their hostage. The underlying premise hasn't been discredited, Boehner just showed them what will happen if they can't all get on the same page.

2. Boehner put his speakership in jeopardy. There was already a groundswell under unseating him. Depending on how the 2014 elections go, I think there are a lot of long memories that will use this against him. And they'll put someone more TP friendly in his place who will go right back to doing this again.

Besides, it still has to make it through the Senate.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

The Democratic majority Senate? They'd never hold that up.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

You're aware that with the way the Senate works now, a majority is more an observation than a position of power, right?

If the GOP holds them to a supermajority, they're screwed, like they have been for the last 4 years on just about everything.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
It's like functioning well enough to keep the country running is an option only after all other ones have been exhausted.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

The Senate has shown a much greater propensity for debt ceiling passage compared to the House.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Perhaps.

But that ain't saying much really.

It only takes one senator on a rampage.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Hush now! You'll wake Ted Cruz!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

He hangs out with Mitch McConnell.

I assume five minutes of talking to McConnell would put anyone to sleep.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
What if they pass *two* clean debt ceiling bills?

As Chris Rock once put it: "These [explitive deleted] think they're supposed to get credit for [explitive deleted] they're supposed to do... You're supposed to take care of your kids you low expectation having [explitive deleted]!"
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

[Big Grin]
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Love Chris
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
BB, if you are impressed with them, then let me tell you.... That I have gone twenty-five years without committing murder or treason, nor poaching.

That is special right?

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

This is more like the prodigal son returning. We still love the son whose always been good, and we rejoice when the wayward one sees the error of their ways.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Ah, then there's your problem.

You think they've seen the error of their ways.

Your optimism is a shining beacon to us all. [Smile]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been trying to sell this bridge, by the way. Let me know if you're interested.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I've been trying to sell this bridge, by the way. Let me know if you're interested.

I've know a troll who would be.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Stop that trip trapping and GET OFF MY LAWN!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
Colbert got a bridge in Hungary [Frown]
Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iglee
Member # 12455

- posted      Profile for iglee   Email iglee         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.despair.com/change.html
Posts: 71 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
It's all that Frank Underwood's fault. He's doing all kinds of horribly corrupt things these days.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
No.

Boehner did it for two reasons 1. Not because his caucus really wanted to, but because they all agreed it was a bad idea but couldn't agree on what to demand in exchange for their hostage. The underlying premise hasn't been discredited, Boehner just showed them what will happen if they can't all get on the same page.

2. Boehner put his speakership in jeopardy. There was already a groundswell under unseating him. Depending on how the 2014 elections go, I think there are a lot of long memories that will use this against him. And they'll put someone more TP friendly in his place who will go right back to doing this again.

Besides, it still has to make it through the Senate.

That about sums it up. The republicans want to keep the attention on Obamacare, Benghazi, the IRS, etc. They don't want the conversation to go back to "The Republicans want to shut down the government."
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:
It's all that Frank Underwood's fault. He's doing all kinds of horribly corrupt things these days.

I'm glad there are no subways in Las Vegas....That's all I'm going to say.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:

Jeff's comment has exposed me... but I can't let him show it. I have to be strong, and strength means not showing your opponent that it hurts when he cuts you. On hatrack, it's either troll... or be trolled. The next moments will decide, is he a troll, or is he a billygoat?
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that ain't (or wasn't, perhaps) a default position for you, Geraine. And further much of my own bias is creeping in here when I say props for being willing to entertain motives like that as a possibility. That's not easy for those with a party loyalty, I know.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.