FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Letterman's Replacement (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Letterman's Replacement
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't mind it as much if he uses half his show to do what he's always done and the other half to pander. At least then I know I can turn it off at midnight.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
What if he panders in the first half?
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If he's smart, he'll pander in two six-minute blocks twelve and forty minutes into the broadcast.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

Colbert is no slouch at this necessarily, but he's leaving a very specific format, and so he either has to continue what Letterman was doing (DONT DO THIS PLEASE COLBERT) or he has to carve out a new *very different* show. Letterman and Leno mostly differentiated themselves by their personalities, with small differences (Top 10 list/Jaywalking) I don't think that will be good enough when he competes with Fallon for the late night TV audiences.

People forget that they asked Leno to leave because he was getting too stale. Top 10, monologues, and other bits are all hangovers from the pre-internet talk shows. Colbert has plenty of things he's good at, and he's not like Fallon at all. Why would he just go in and do the show Dave Letterman used to do? He's smarter than Letterman was when he started.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Because it's the network tv format.

He's not going to have nearly the freedom he had on Comedy Central

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
What Lyrhawn said. I don't know how much CBS's producers will try to control the format. And all I'm saying is Colbert is departing from his format, and stepping into something completely different.

Fallon has been notable in that he's been charting new territory, and gobbling up some of the low hanging fruit.

Colbert will have to work to come up with his own stuff that the network will let him try, and that is successful. He's certainly capable! But it's going to be tough.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Northwestern is taking over late night tv.

At least it isn't North West taking over late night TV [Big Grin]

That is what popped into my mind the first time I read your post

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
What Lyrhawn said. I don't know how much CBS's producers will try to control the format. And all I'm saying is Colbert is departing from his format, and stepping into something completely different.

Fallon has been notable in that he's been charting new territory, and gobbling up some of the low hanging fruit.

Colbert will have to work to come up with his own stuff that the network will let him try, and that is successful. He's certainly capable! But it's going to be tough.

Content wise, Seth Myers gives me some hope. His comedy is much more rooted in political type stuff. He's also the most cerebral of the late night guys. His audience doesn't seem to get half his jokes, but he's trying and they're letting him.
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
I really hope that Colbert, if the position is offered to him, declines, both for Lyrhawn's reason #1 and also because I actively enjoy The Colbert Report, and would sad to see it go off the air (and the show is too tightly integrated with the character that Colbert plays on it to be successfully handed off to some other performer the way The Daily Show could be (and has been)).

I can relate too. I don't care about interview-talk shows. But if Colbert wants it, he's earned it. I'll watch the first few episodes to support him.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted a few thoughts.
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Good writeup.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
That PR stat is saddening.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! Yeah, it is, isn't it?

I am happy for Colbert - I like him a lot. But I'll miss his character. I've actually always liked the Colbert Report more than The Daily Show, actually.

Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I agree with your post completely.

I think TDS does more on point, hard-hitting satire.

I think Colbert comes in just below TDS on that count, because Stewart is much more to the point and unapologetic, it makes for better critical analysis. But Colbert is much more funny.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Dave owned, produced, and directed his own show. He employed the entire staff himself. That's a fair amount of freedom, he was just personally conservative.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean "conservative" as in cautious? Because I never got the impression that his politics were at all conservative. Leno, on the other hand...
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I meant as in traditional, or non-challenging in sensibility. His politics are infantile, as are Leno's, and I think particularly younger people, raised on a diet of Jon Stewart, are tired of facile, digestible commentary. There's a reason that print journalism is actually growing quite fast in total volume (and in article length), even as the industry loses money.

I know that above comment may seem a bit silly: I say that Jon Stewart is the antidote to digestibility, but he's more of a gateway drug. He's digestible, as a function of his format, but he frequently engages with topics that do not suggest easy conclusions, and is more comfortable in that arena than certainly any network host has ever been.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Dave owned, produced, and directed his own show. He employed the entire staff himself. That's a fair amount of freedom, he was just personally conservative.
I'm still pretty confident in saying that CBS will have far more restrictions on him than CC would.

It's a late night talk show. It's a format. He'll have to follow some of the rules.

He's not going to do an hour long version of the Daily Show on CBS, because it would alienate too many people, and CBS won't do that. Though I think it'd be an incredibly smart move for him if he tried to.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

I think you'd be surprised. I think you may be. Ultimately, the power of the host in the late night format is that they have the air every night. The migration cost (to a new host) alone is so prohibitive, that they do get a lot of leeway in what they want to do, and how.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.avclub.com/article/stephen-colbert-succeeding-downward-taking-over-la-203387

quote:
Stephen Colbert is succeeding downward by taking over Late Show

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Every so often Letterman will do something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGEc8KBKO8I

And, so far, CBS hasn't stopped him. I can't imagine CBS executives are thinking that they will get less political with Colbert.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
http://www.avclub.com/article/stephen-colbert-succeeding-downward-taking-over-la-203387

quote:
Stephen Colbert is succeeding downward by taking over Late Show

I'll take it as a compliment beating the AV Club to this conclusion. [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.