FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Saudi Arabia Condemns Norway’s Human Rights Record

Author Topic: Saudi Arabia Condemns Norway’s Human Rights Record
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought I'd throw this out there.
Link

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
honorable ruler kim of the people's free freedom republic democratic democracy of north korea also stepped up its criticisms of norway, for failing to provide its citizens with adequate Juche
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
Um, huh, wha..., wait a min..., ah F' it, this makes my head hurt.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine it's a problem for Kim if the atheism isn't state sponsored.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Mordor also jumped up to condemn norway's failure to human rights all the things.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I imagining it, or is Saudi Arabia's criticism basically "too much freedom of speech and religion!"?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly just speech, I think.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

saudi arabia's follow-up criticism: "and i hear you let females drive. what on earth is wrong with you?"
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
I imagine it's a problem for Kim if the atheism isn't state sponsored.

Is that what North Korea has?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

North Korea has Juche and the myth of the (essentially) deified president for life Kim il-Sung

lots of refugees speak about thinking even after they had escaped that they were going to hell or that dear ol' god-kim could hear their thoughts and would get them caught.

Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
But what does Pol Pot think of this?
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Do we know at all if Muslims in Norway are mistreated? They are a mistrusted minority in a few European countries.

Where's King of Men when you need him?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly, the headline seems a bit sensationalized.

The Periodic Human Rights review is scheduled, well, periodically and a very large number of countries make statements that have some praise and some criticism.

The current report doesn't seem ready, but the previous one has 54 delegations. Some of Saudi Arabia's criticisms such as the rape statistics and domestic violence were echoed in the past by countries like Belgium, France.
http://daccess-dds-ny.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/G10/100/77/PDF/G1010077.pdf?OpenElement

"Belgium Condemns Norway’s Human Rights Record" would probably be a headline that attracts fewer clicks though.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vineyarddawg
Member # 13007

- posted      Profile for vineyarddawg           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wingracer:
But what does Pol Pot think of this?

There's a joke about the Pot calling the kettle (something) in there, but I'm not quite able to get to it. [ROFL]
Posts: 124 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Where's King of Men when you need him?

(Whispers) Right behind you.

Anyway, yes, Muslims are mistreated in Norway in the usual sense of not being allowed to circumsize their daughters (and for the near future one may hope for sons as well); dictate the religion of their fellow citizens; or beat up women for not covering their hair.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

they are also probably mistreated in norway with regards to the right to terrorize or murder people who depict the prophet muhammad
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
"Belgium Condemns Norway’s Human Rights Record" would probably be a headline that attracts fewer clicks though.
Depends on what part of the galaxy you're from.

"On Earth, Belgium refers to a small country. Throughout the rest of the galaxy, Belgium is the most unspeakably rude word there is." -Douglas Adams

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.