FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ender's Stocking (A War of Gifts) / Shadow of the Hegemon

Author Topic: Ender's Stocking (A War of Gifts) / Shadow of the Hegemon
confusedthird
Member # 13178

- posted      Profile for confusedthird           Edit/Delete Post 
How come in Ender's Stocking Valentine says they've moved into a different house, one Ender will never know but in Shadow of the Hegemon Bean walks up to the old family home where Ender grew up and Mrs. Wiggin is there asking if he's lost and invites him in once she realizes who he is. Both cannot be canon but yet... hmm
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vineyarddawg
Member # 13007

- posted      Profile for vineyarddawg           Edit/Delete Post 
Let me explain... no, there is too much. Let me sum up: The Enderverse has quite a number of continuity issues where newer material contradicts older material. This is one of them.
Posts: 124 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
There was a page you were supposed to print out and put in Shadow of the Hegemon in place of the error. Or something. I remember reading about it, but never did it.

In other words, it's a glaring error and there was nothing they could do to fix it because by the time they noticed the book had been published.

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they just rented the old one out for a while, then moved back?
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as retcons go, I think that one's in the uncanny valley between convincing and hilariously Rube Goldberg-esque. [Frown]
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millernumber1
Member # 9894

- posted      Profile for millernumber1   Email millernumber1         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Shadow of the Hegemon they explicitly say that it's not the house he grew up in?
Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millernumber1
Member # 9894

- posted      Profile for millernumber1   Email millernumber1         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, just checked it - on p171 in the paperback, Theresa says "He didn't grow up here and we don't give tours."
Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by millernumber1:
I thought Shadow of the Hegemon they explicitly say that it's not the house he grew up in?

Correct. The original version of Ender's Game (I don't and won't ever again refer to the Lucasified rewrites of that book), had Ender growing up in an urban center. Then the family moves to Greensboro to deal with Peter's psychopathy. Then around about Shadow of the Hedgemon, OSC just forgot. Then someone noticed, and he added another line in a later book to "correct," the mistake. Or something.

Who cares at this point?

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.