FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Earth Awakens

Author Topic: Earth Awakens
Robert Scott Lewis
Member # 12770

- posted      Profile for Robert Scott Lewis   Email Robert Scott Lewis         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a huge fan of the Enderverse. Huge. I very much enjoyed Formic Wars:Burning Earth and Formic Wars:Silent Strike. I was very excited about the subsequent novels. After getting halfway through Earth Afire it was clear to me that Card was not doing the majority of the writing. I am currently halfway through Earth Awakens and I have noticed a number of typos and errors. One of which I remember reading about before I bought the novel, this would be a part where Lem is referred to as Victor. There were a couple of others that I caught that really bothered me, one in particular is a line that Imala says that seems like such an important line considering Ender's train of thought. She phrases the sentence, Page 53 lines 8-9 reads "If you don't understand your enemy how you can possibly hope to defeat them?" how you can... botched performance Imala. There were a couple others that I haven't documented but I just discovered the one on page 196, line 33 reads "It short, it turns biomass into gooey pulp." I believe it should have read 'In short'.

Am I reading these sentences wrong or are they actually typos? Has anybody noticed any that weren't mentioned here? Why are there so many? Was it rushed through editing? What do you guys think about the new trilogy and upcoming Second Formic War trilogy?

Posts: 7 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed at least five in Earth Awakens. They were very distracting.

I'm not sure why, but it looks like it happens in every book that is co-written with Aaron Johnston. I'm not saying that Johnston is a worse writer, rather, I don't think these books are edited as well as Card's other books. It's like they didn't get that final read-through by an editor.

Seriously, check out the first book they wrote together. It has very similar typos in it.

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually enjoyed this series more than many recent Card books--precisely, I think, because Johnston is tempering Card's tendency to tell the whole story through internal dialogue.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
It's true, AFR thought. I've actually enjoyed this series more than many recent Card books. He defeated the adults around him in the game of skill, which they probably didn't expect, as he was a child. His precociousness had masked an even greater precociousness and unburdened genius, which would become burdened. Precisely, he mused, I think, because Johnston is tempering Card's tendency to tell the whole story through internal dialogue. AFR departed from the North Carolinan Second Generation Portugese Immigrant Culture Planet to go spend some time on the French-Canadian Vietnamese Transfer Student Culture Planet. He internal dialogued the entire internal dialogue again before simultaneously developing a very unique child superpower and engaging on a high fantasy culture and also space adventure where he is actually Joseph Smith and this is 2nd Nephi.

One of the adults who was orchestrating the whole thing scratched his chin stubble. I think he likes this series more. Perhaps it was something to do with internal dialogue. He couldn't tell. He suspected the child was more than what he appeared to be.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

He figured Samp, the Polish Strategemon, would have arrived at the same conclusion. AFR sees things the way a very intelligent monkey would, Samp would be reasoning. But monkey or not, I need him to command my army of stripling warriors so I can complete my totalitarian domination of the world and end this war. But the American Hegetegos, who for some reason speaks fluent Portuguese, has already anticipated that move. If I attempt to contact the monkey, my second in command, who I've just realized is a sleeper agent, will kill me before I can move my hand. I need to placate him by launching a missile strike instead at the Hegetegos, because he must secretly hate the Hegetegos for putting him in this position, because I know he loves me, but because he hasn't already acted the Hegetegos is at this moment moving to capture his wife and son. The adult heard the klaxons blaring. The missiles were incoming. You idiot, he thought. When are you going to remember that everything in your internal dialogue must come true in the real world?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
can posts be gold plated and framed, because hall of fame
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

"The Polish Strategemon-"

"Is of no importance," interjected the Hegetos.

AFR continued, undeterred. "...is also the Samprany of Orinoclo."

"What? That's impossible."

"Name someone with a larger hat." The room went silent. AFR causally finished his milkshake and slammed the glass down on the war room table.

This changes everything.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

ROFL
advice for robots
Member # 2544

"We've discovered the Formics' weak spot, sir."

"If you're going to tell me to shoot at the queen's ship, because.…"

"To be frank, sir, everything's so much more cerebral now."

The Strategemon set his katana in its case. "Well, then, soldier, spit it out." This one is more than she lets on. Who is she really working for…Fleet? Big Antimatter?

The captain cleared her throat nervously. But not nervously enough. "It's this, sir. Formics can't engage in internal dialogue. We think it has something to do with their carapaces. Everything's external for them. What this means is that…"

"I realize what it means," rumbled the Strategemon, glancing pointedly at you, the reader.

It means they will be obliterated from the story. Xenocide. I knew this. But did she know? More importantly, did she know that I knew? And knowing that, had the Hegetegos already mobilized his heavy infantry along the Polish border? I will have to make sure the world never finds out about this. We will have to defeat them another way. For the good of humanity.

In a movement that the captain could only have interpreted as innocuous, the Samprany of Orincorlo, First Speaker of the Second Foundation, picked up his katana again.

Robert Scott Lewis
Member # 12770

- posted      Profile for Robert Scott Lewis   Email Robert Scott Lewis         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you guys for replying to this thread, Even though some of it went right over my head. I have enjoyed this series as well, I can't say I've enjoyed it more than Bean's or Ender's Saga though. If not only for the sheer fact that I grew up on them, then at least for the fact that there is just more to read from those series. I have Invasive Procedures but have not had the chance to read it, one book that I regrettably did not finish(because it literally fell apart) was Lovelock. Co-written with Kathryn H. Kidd, I didn't get very far into it but it was a very intriguing concept.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.