FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Texas governor headed for jail?

Author Topic: Texas governor headed for jail?
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Rick Perry has been indicted by a grand jury on 2 counts of coercion. link
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be very surprised if he ends up in jail.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Given what I'm reading on the situation, I don't blame him for wanting to do it.

But I'm not sure the ends justify the means here.

Still, I too doubt he ends up serving time for it.

That IS very Texas, though. LBJ would have been proud.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thesifer
Member # 12890

- posted      Profile for Thesifer           Edit/Delete Post 
"If found guilty on the charges, Perry could be sentenced to a maximum 109 years in prison."

Uhmmmmmmmm... What? Is this a typo?

Posts: 164 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably not. But saying that something is the maximum sentence possible if he's found guilty of the charges is a long way from saying that it's a likely sentence or that he's likely to be found guilty.

It's only slightly more informative than saying "If he drives his car tomorrow, Perry could be in an auto accident."

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
"The charge of abuse of official capacity carries a prison sentence of five to 99 years, and the charge of coercion of a public servant a two- to 10-year prison sentence." I got this from the New York Times. If he did it, what are the odds of him doing time?
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
Probably not. But saying that something is the maximum sentence possible if he's found guilty of the charges is a long way from saying that it's a likely sentence or that he's likely to be found guilty.

maximum sentences are for poor black men, essentially
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
At the very least it hurts his presidential ambitions.
Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
His impossible hopes and dreams I suppose.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say it is a toss up.....but he probably won't spend time in jail. He does have the right to veto, and this is not as clear cut as it was made out to be.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thesifer
Member # 12890

- posted      Profile for Thesifer           Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently the last time a Governor was brought up on charges in Texas, it was for almost the same reason.

Edit:

After reading the NYTimes there was more to the other Governors Charges. The piece I read before conveniently left the other charges out.

From the NYTimes
"The last Texas governor to face criminal charges was James E. “Pa” Ferguson, who was indicted in 1917 by a Travis County grand jury on embezzlement and eight other charges. His case also involved a veto that stirred anger: Mr. Ferguson vetoed the entire appropriation to the University of Texas because it had refused to fire certain faculty members. The state Senate voted to impeach him, but he resigned first."

Posts: 164 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elison R. Salazar:
At the very least it hurts his presidential ambitions.

Nothing hurts Rick Perry's presidential ambitions more than Rick Perry.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:

I'm surprised they don't execute for this. It is *Texas*.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:

I'm surprised they don't execute for this. It is *Texas*.
Or for people that actually commit a crime. There's a reason Perry is getting bi-partisan support on this.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a fan of Perry's but this indictment seems pretty bogus. It looks more to me like politics as usual than a criminal act.

If that's illegal, then a whole lot of our politicians should be in jail (which maybe they should be anyways).

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL...bipartisan support....lol....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
With the kind of politician Perry is and has been, even if this is a witch hunt, and I don't know one way or another, well Rick ain't exactly spent his political life playing the statesman. Hard to don a shield of virtue when you're so dirty yourself.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Who is donning a shield of virtue on him?

If he's committed crimes in the past, then indict him for those. But don't indict him for something like this just because he's a poor statesman.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. Didn't mean anyone here. I simply meant that while this may be dirty politics or legitimate investigation, or perhaps shades of both, Perry is sufficiently ethically bankrupt for me to feel sympathy for him personally. If it's dirty politics? Then I hope it gets shut down quickly, at the least. But Perry is more tha willing to play dishonest and dirty politics on...well, let's see. Immigration, energy, states' rights, lgbt issues, aspects of foreign policy in particular Israel, and that's just what I know of his national profile. But he's more-or rather less-than just a 'poor statesman'.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:

If he's committed crimes in the past, then indict him for those. But don't indict him for something like this just because he's a poor statesman.

You can engage in quite a bit of political corruption and influence peddling without generating an indictable offense. This is the key: the scope of the authority of the prosecutor in this case is relatively small. The implication is that Perry has been leveraging his executive power to bully officials for a long time, but this is the clearest cut case of it happening on the public record.

Still, it's rather naive to suggest that simply because you don't have the evidence to indict someone, means that you don't have quite a bit of evidence that they are corrupt, or abusive of their position. There is plenty of circumstantial evidence to show that Perry has abused his position. But there's always a fine line between corruption and politics. Why do you think that so many politicians eventually fall to simple fraud charges, or to tax evasion? It's just the easiest offense to prove. It's not the reason they're investigated in the first place.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I don't understand what you both are suggesting with these points.

If you were on the jury, would you convict him even if he isn't guilty on this because he's been guilty of corruption or abused his power in other instances?

Orincoro
Member # 8854

Were I on a jury, I would apply the law to the case that was presented to me, and decide based upon the facts presented. Since I am not on such a jury, I cannot comment on what my inclination would be.

And no, my point is not that a conviction can be had based on a general history of abuse of power. Rather in response to your assertion that he should be indicted for the real crimes that he has committed in the past (if such crimes have been committed). My only point was that not all crimes or suspected crimes are indictable. This alleged crime clearly was indictable, whether or not the prosecutor is likely to gain a conviction. And often times, a prosecutor indicts when and if he or she can- not necessarily, and this is of course unfortunate, on the best possible charges.

Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
Gaal, should they not have tried Al Capone then? He committed a number of crimes but lacked enough evidence to put him away; so they got him on tax evasion.
Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

" Rather in response to your assertion that he should be indicted for the real crimes that he has committed in the past (if such crimes have been committed)."

I didn't make this assertion at all. It seemed like Rakeesh was suggesting that even if Perry didn't commit an indictable offense in this case, he's done plenty of other shady things in the past, so that makes this okay even if it is a witch hunt. I asserted that if he's done other things that are indictable offenses, then he should be tried for those.

"Gaal, should they not have tried Al Capone then?"

What? What part of what I said made you think I would think this? Do you think I was saying that Rick Perry shouldn't be tried because he may have committed other crimes?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.