FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Secular Solstice Kickstarter - 2014

Author Topic: Secular Solstice Kickstarter - 2014
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
About a year ago, I posted here about my project, Brighter Than Today: A Secular Solstice.

I wanted a winter holiday that celebrated the ideas I was most passionate about - humanity, science, and civilization - that connected people to each other as well as to something grander than themselves. Humanism has all the concepts it needs to build a beautiful holiday around, it was just lacking in execution.

The event last year went really well - we had around 150 attendees, with another 80 attendees of a San Francisco event. The New York Times had us on the front cover of their Metropolitan section.

A couple people here contributed to our kickstarter, for which I was incredibly grateful. This year, we have more events going on and I'm doing my best to help anyone who wants to run a local event get started. Currently events in the works in the following places:

New York City
Bay Area
Leipzig, Germany
Seattle

With possible additional ones in:
Los Angeles
Boston
CERN, in/near Switzerland?? (Someone there just contacted me today, I have my fingers crossed about this!)

The kickstarter is currently at 70% of it's main goal (funding the NY event). If anyone here is interested in helping out (either with funds, or spreading the word on facebook or other media), I'd appreciate it. This has a shot at turning into a legitimate holiday celebration.

Thanks again to Geraine and AchillesHeel and others who supported it last year.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
Supported again. [Smile] This year there's actually a decent chance we might be able to make it (we'll be sort of in the area), so I got the 2 tickets reward. It looks like you had a really great time last year!
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! Look forward to meeting you in person!
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Just a final ping - kickstarter is in its last 4 days and is currently at 75%. If anyone still was interested in contributing, whether for a ticket, music download or the Book of Traditions I've made for it (a 120 page tome of songs, stories and illustrations), time is running out. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.