FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens trailer

Author Topic: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens trailer
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
Teaser is up.

http://youtu.be/OMOVFvcNfvE

Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER THOUGHTS

The sort of photorealistic effect is jarring. I kind of like it, but it's weird for a Star Wars film.

Not a fan of the claymore lightsaber.

Like the stormtroopers.

Missed the Lucasfilm badge at the top. I really hope the opening 20th Century fanfare still have the Lucasfilm flash across it, because to me, that's 90% of what gets me excited at the very start of a Star Wars film. Seeing Bad Robot flash across the screen will just remind me it's made by the guy who ruined Star Trek.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
But his ruining Star Trek essentially proved that he was capable of making a great Star Wars film. Ironic, but true.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
The Phanton Menace is the only Star Wars movie I've seen can I just skip straight to this one
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
The Phanton Menace is the only Star Wars movie I've seen can I just skip straight to this one

How could we possibly know how VII will stack up to the previous six?

In any case, I'm sure you've been told the original trilogy is awesome, and the prequels stink. You can take a chance, or just wait. But you shouldn't wait.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:

For cereal
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

[/poor attempt at trolling]
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
my excitement went down a good deal after watching that trailer, personally. I like the cast though.

this feels more like a trailer for a star wars videogame than it does a star wars movie.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
My reaction to it was *insert emotion*.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was a teaser trailer. IGN game of the year 10/10
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was awkward, in a way that reminded me of some videogame trailers for some reason.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
SPOILER THOUGHTS

There is a reason it looks like that. In the Old Republic, Sith sometimes used unstable synthetic lightsaber crystals. They were especially dangerous and were prone to shorting out, but there was a method of "venting" the unstable energy that the crystal held, resulting in the claymore look. It would in turn prevent the saber from shorting out and killing the user.

That is in the extended universe and it is not canon, but there is nothing preventing Disney from using any of the eu stuff.

INTERESTING RUMOR: Some believe the person holding that claymore lightsaber is Gwendoline Christie, not Adam Driver. An evil Brienne? Ok.

The narrator was Andy Serkis. I don't know what his role is, but after that voice over work, I'm thinking he is going to be evil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Meh. I didn't like it. The point of the trailer was to tell us Star Wars is back. Apparently you get the Star Wars feeling from CGI spaceships that I do not recognize (except for the Falcon) and seeing characters I don't know about look stressed?

Tease me with Leia, Luke and Han please.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
You didn't recognize the X-Wings and TIE Fighters? Granted, they were new models of X-Wings, but they were still recognizable.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

You guys have odd expectations of a teaser trailer. As I've mentioned before, there will be a cinematic trailer released later. And an international trailer too probs
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
SPOILER THOUGHTS

There is a reason it looks like that. In the Old Republic, Sith sometimes used unstable synthetic lightsaber crystals. They were especially dangerous and were prone to shorting out, but there was a method of "venting" the unstable energy that the crystal held, resulting in the claymore look. It would in turn prevent the saber from shorting out and killing the user.

That is in the extended universe and it is not canon, but there is nothing preventing Disney from using any of the eu stuff.

INTERESTING RUMOR: Some believe the person holding that claymore lightsaber is Gwendoline Christie, not Adam Driver. An evil Brienne? Ok.

The narrator was Andy Serkis. I don't know what his role is, but after that voice over work, I'm thinking he is going to be evil.

I never much cared for the prequel EU. Though I know it has legions of fans.

I guess my problem is that it looks like it's supposed to be functional as a cross guard. But it'd probably make the lightsaber useless if anyone actually tried to use it that way.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What would worry me about it is that it would be insanely dangerous to the wielder.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, when the Force gives you enough control over your own form to deflect laser bolts with your blade, maybe something like a plasma crossguard isn't as big a safety concern to you.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
What would worry me about it is that it would be insanely dangerous to the wielder.

Yes. Non psychic space wizards should probably not attempt use of this device. All unattended sabers (with crossbeam supplier plasma vent splitting especially) should be biometrically safety-locked or kept in a holocron safety vault to prevent children from accidentally engaging the device.

For more information, consult the new republic "Safety First! With non-force sensitives" informational holovid.

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

quote:
I guess my problem is that it looks like it's supposed to be functional as a cross guard. But it'd probably make the lightsaber useless if anyone actually tried to use it that way. [/QB]
The experts say it's safe to use.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Details are out.

Supposedly an employee went rogue on 4chan.

I've heard bits and pieces. Doesn't sound horrible.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

This isn't the first 'rogue leak' - the details posted have some chance of being real, but .. The last three turned out ridiculous
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I caught a brief synopsis of the plot and it sounds not only plausible...it sounds like I probably won't hate it.

Not sure how I feel about that.

But for the first time I'm optimistic.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I am somewhere in the vicinity of cautiously optimistic about this. The trailer gave me some major goosebumps when the John Williams kicked in.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.