FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pizza - What's the best kind (It's Detroit style, but play along anyway)

Author Topic: Pizza - What's the best kind (It's Detroit style, but play along anyway)
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
What's your favorite kind of pizza?

Is it Chicago's casserole that masquerades as a pizza?

Is it New York's floppy greasy flat boring mess?

Or perhaps Detroit's storied, up-and-coming, decades old regional favorite, characterized by it's buttery flaky square cut crust, well-seasoned baking pans, and sweet sauce-on-top structure?

I've even recently been informed that St. Louis has there own style that features a thicker, almost cracker-like crust that allows for more, heavier toppings while keeping structural integrity intact.

So, what's your favorite kind? And why do you (incorrectly) think it's better than Detroit's?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
http://twinspizza.stores.yahoo.net/

It's this pizza, which isn't quite like any other local pizza in Rhode Island.

The crust is yeasty-bread like and you order it like a steak (medium, well-done, etc.).

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Beach Pizza, it is called up here. Accept no substitutes.

[ January 15, 2015, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
Boston Style Pizza, obviously. this is a picture from the place we get ours. It's the best pizza in the world.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vegimo
Member # 12618

- posted      Profile for vegimo           Edit/Delete Post 
(from ornery.org)

Posted by vegimo (Member # 6023) on August 05, 2011 10:55 AM:

Ah, New Jersey.

Among the many fond memories are those of the pizza. Thin crust. Not cracker crisp, just thin. Fold the slice and the tip droops. Eat it quickly or the grease from the fresh cheese starts to drip on the plate. Eat it slowly or your mouth will have a flesh curtain hanging from the palate. Eat it quickly or you might start to feel too full to have a fourth slice. Eat it slowly to savor the blend of crust, sauce, and cheese - and nothing else...except for maybe some salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic, parmesan, oregano...

One of the best slices I ever had was at a sidewalk window across from the WTC, but that is obviously gone now. My favorite pie was from Carmen's in Rutherford, but that is gone too. I do try to eat pizza every day whenever I visit, but nothing comes close to the childhood memories.

Now let's talk about Rippers. Anybody up for a trip to Rutt's Hut?

Posts: 95 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
Manco & Manco's - Jersey Shore (South Jersey). It's the thin, fold it in half kind. [Smile]
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no "best kind". This kind of favoritism is shortsighted and dangerous. ( [Wink] )

Diversity is beautiful, and the best pizza is a new variety that delights and surprises, or an old friend that comforts.

Vive la différence!

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer thin crust pizza with a little bit of crunch.

Anything else just leaves me with feelings of being bloated mixed with a bit of self loathing

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The self-loathing is usually drowned out by the heart burn.

Couple tums clears both right up.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
Crème Fraiche, Mozzarella, Ham, Breaded Chicken, Gorgonzola Bleu
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not going to eat anything called a "Detroit Style Pizza" unless Robocop himself has broken all of my limbs and is standing over my limp body and is hydraulically fisting it down my throat along with a few of my own teeth while repeatedly saying STOP RESISTING. STOP RESISTING. STOP RESISTING.

But if it comes down to that then yes I will probably enjoy Detroit Style Pizza.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

So what you're saying is, you don't like pizza at all.

That's the only thing I can draw from that.

Or you REALLY like Robocop.

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
We have homemade pizza most Fridays. I've been alternating between St. Louis style with baking powder crust and provelone-cheddar-Swiss mix and the traditional yeast crust with mozzarella. Maybe next week I'll try Detroit style.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The dough, from what I understand, is a little different for Detroit-style. Gives it that flaky, buttery, delicious texture.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I happen to like that casserole [Big Grin] And it's been too long since I've partaken. Must fix that soon.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So what you're saying is, you don't like pizza at all.

That's the only thing I can draw from that.

Or you REALLY like Robocop.

Hey I thought I would humor it so I asked the guy at Boss Lady to make me a Detroit style pizza

he looked at me real weird and then gave me a pizza that had been boarded up and had NO COPPER spraypainted on it

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Ha. Ha.

Nice to know people still getting a laugh off the suffering of thousands of people.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

If it is any consolation I am legit going to try to have Detroit pizza soon
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It's hard to find outside of Detroit. But since a Detroit-style pizza won the international pizza expo two years running, it's growing a lot around the country.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
The dough, from what I understand, is a little different for Detroit-style. Gives it that flaky, buttery, delicious texture.

Yes, I looked up several recipes online. It will suffer from not having pans seasoned by years of use, but we'll have to make do.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
On a slight off shoot...here's a trick to making crap frozen pizza pretty good.

Cook to 70% as directed...pull from oven, the crust will be AWESOME, but the cheese will be unmelted. Here's the trick...take an automobile tool type heat gun and melt/toast the cheese!

Same for melting cheese onto sandwichs, or reheated fried food.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
The self-loathing is usually drowned out by the heart burn.

Couple tums clears both right up.

True.

Thinking more on this, Brazilian style pizza is my favorite. Chicken, corn, and catupiri cheese is amazing. Throw on some heart of palm and you have a masterpiece.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
I happen to like that casserole [Big Grin] And it's been too long since I've partaken. Must fix that soon.

I am with you, Goody. But remember; Giordano's is stuffed crust not deep dish. [Wink]
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a Detroit style pizza place in the Ann Arbor area?
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Not having tried pizza from the D, my favorite style is probably brick oven (although it's easy to do it badly and end up with a blackened pizza).
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.