FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » False Rape Accusations (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: False Rape Accusations
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed reading how a strong female character in a ludicrously over the top action movie is going to ruin women for men, and men for women.

I mean, it makes sense. If men see this movie, they aren't going to be appropriately stern when their women try to don spikes and drive doom buggies over the rightful order of Masculinity.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
There is absolutely no way in hell that I will not see Mad Max. I've been waiting for this one for a long time.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked how they called it American culture, heh.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wingracer:
There is absolutely no way in hell that I will not see Mad Max. I've been waiting for this one for a long time.

try watching doomsday!
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Leslie Knope already said everything that needs to be said about men's right activists.

lol.

That being said, it would be nice to talk about some of the real and actual problems men face in our society (whether that be child support, or (the relatively rare but still problematic) unfair way male domestic abuse or rape victims are treated, etc) without being conflated with or drowned out by misogynists. But like seriously, my experiences and the way I'm treated by society as a straight white man is so relatively awesome and easy - like literally almost everything is *designed* for my comfort and success - that it would feel outrageously disingenuous to talk about feeling "oppressed". Maybe in 30 or 40 years once the playing field has been leveled more then those conversations will come to the forefront.

(It's actually my belief that every one of them is actually an artifact of sexism anyway that will disappear soon after the related sexist belief disappears - i.e, once men and women make equal pay and have equal chances to advance their careers and we get rid of this idea of a woman being inherently weaker and dependent on a man's support, I think child support laws will follow suit. That's a discussion for another day, though)

Good luck. It's a nearly impossible discussion to have without either being co-opted by frothing misogynists, qualifier Nazis* or people being outright dismissive.

*A qualifier Nazi is someone who will interrupt EVERY discussion point if someone fails to say "but women still have it worse" because the discussion of men's problems is inherently threatening to the validity of women's problems since gender discussions are a zero sum game.

However, if you want a good, serious, well-measured entry point for such a discussion: This article from The Atlantic is a pretty good place to start.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
*A qualifier Nazi is someone who will interrupt EVERY discussion point if someone fails to say "but women still have it worse" because the discussion of men's problems is inherently threatening to the validity of women's problems since gender discussions are a zero sum game.

I have to admit that that (the qualifier Nazi) is a trend I find extremely annoying. It's the sort of disingenuous argument that got Richard Dawkins roundly criticized (and very rightly so) when he basically said "women in Islamic countries have it way worse, so stop whining feminists" or very recently, Darrell Issa saying "poor people in India have it way worse, so stop complaining."

It's a great and valid argument to use when equivocation is claimed or implied - or when someone interrupts a discussion about "X women’s issue" with a "but, men have problems toooo!!!" comment - but it sure gets annoying, especially like in a recent discussion I was part of talking about the (massive, largely unreported) problem of men being raped in the military that got mocked by women talking about "tasty men tears" and otherwise belittling or dismissing the issue, including one woman saying it's impossible for men to be raped since rape is an inherently male-on-female social construct.

I think there's a tendency to conflate or confuse social stratification of injustice - whether that's racism, sexism, classism, genderism, what have you - with personal expressions of bigotry or violent acts. By which I mean, just because rape culture exists, and indeed enables and protects men who rape women, doesn't mean that a man who gets raped somehow "wasn't really raped" or "needs to stop whining about it, women have it way worse." You can't compare an individual experience with the experiences of an entire gender, especially when that comparison is neither implied nor wanted, or even necessary to understand and address the problem.

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I like dogs. (not THAT way, pervert)
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Men's Rights Forever
Member # 13269

- posted      Profile for Men's Rights Forever           Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding that "Return of Kings" article about Mad Max -- it's asinine. There is nothing inherently wrong with a strong female character and I've never objected to that sort of thing. Fantasy is fantasy. And Charlese Theron is a marvelous (and gorgeous) actress.

IMO there should be nothing wrong with any of these things:

--Action movie with predominantly male cast
--Action movie with balance between male and female representation.
--Action movie with predominate female characters.

All I care about is what feels emotionally true.

At the same time, I have to consider whether or not a film is meant for me. I recall Chris Rock's hilarious quote about the film Cold Mountain. "No one was thinking about me when they were making Cold Mountain."

I feel like George Miller was very much thinking about me and action movie fans when he made his latest Mad Max film.

[ May 16, 2015, 03:44 AM: Message edited by: Men's Rights Forever ]

Posts: 42 | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
So I tried CT's scone recipe but I unfortunately overbaked them slightly -- I was using an unfamiliar oven at the time, had rolled them slightly thinner than needed, and was trying to also get the other parts of dinner together. They ended up more crunchy and biscuit-like than I intended, which wasn't at all bad, especially with the sausage gravy I served them with. I'm still intrigued by the use of heavy cream as the primary liquid and think it warrants further exploration.

Taking my lessons from this experiment, I decided to try a different recipe that I'd found here (unfortunately the whole thing is an embedded ad for cough drops, but the recipe is nevertheless solid). It's a bit more of a standard biscuit method type recipe, but I was intrigued by the idea of freezing the dough before baking. I quickly was able to see why as the recipe's dough is so soft the scones would have likely spread a lot in baking from room temperature. Being a little more familiar with the oven I was now using, I kept the baking time to a scant ten minutes, with almost no browning at all in the tops, and the final crumb was excellent -- a bit more coarse than the final product I was looking for, but when warm they were almost cakey. I made the glaze a bit differently (add water? psh, nope. lemon juice only, and a bit of salt before adding the confectioner's sugar). The best part about the Sprouts scones was the slight crunch from the glaze contrasting with the pillowy interiors, and it was something I'd almost managed to achieve.

Almost.

In other news, the MRA outrage over Mad Max has made me almost certainly want to go see it.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool!
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Men's Rights Forever:
Regarding that "Return of Kings" article about Mad Max -- it's asinine. There is nothing inherently wrong with a strong female character and I've never objected to that sort of thing. Fantasy is fantasy. And Charlese Theron is a marvelous (and gorgeous) actress.

IMO there should be nothing wrong with any of these things:

--Action movie with predominantly male cast
--Action movie with balance between male and female representation.
--Action movie with predominate female characters.

All I care about is what feels emotionally true.

At the same time, I have to consider whether or not a film is meant for me. I recall Chris Rock's hilarious quote about the film Cold Mountain. "No one was thinking about me when they were making Cold Mountain."

I feel like George Miller was very much thinking about me and action movie fans when he made his latest Mad Max film.

try watching doomsday!!!
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Men's Rights Forever
Member # 13269

Guys, remember the feeling you got when you first saw the original "Matrix"? That feeling of watching a new type of action movie? That's what "Mad Max: Fury Road" did for me, and has evidently done for a lot of people. The hype is real. This movie SHOULD be experienced on the big screen.

I saw it in 2D and had a blast. The director said that he'd prefer it that we'd see it in 3D but that he understands some people's distaste for 3D. Whatever...I'll see it in 3D next week. [Smile]

Posts: 42 | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Men's Rights Forever
Member # 13269

This is the best trailer for the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRyt14XK8a8

So rarely have I thought: "I want videogames set in this movie's universe."

Men's Rights Forever
Member # 13269

Like, I used to be a cinephile, but I had fallen out of love with movies about six years ago. Yea I caught the occasional film here and there but new stuff stopped seeming...new. It was as if all new films had the same beat.

This new Mad Max film is, for me, nothing less than the redemption of cinema as an art form.

Men's Rights Forever
Member # 13269

quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
Why are you talking about that feminazi garbage in a men's rights thread

This is the email I sent to Roosh V, the owner of Returns of Kings with whom I converse sometimes via email:

quote:
"Roosh, regardless of the film's superficial politics, it's still a legitimately amazing film that hits you like a brick. Maybe the reason the mainstream media is highliting Aaron's story is because it is in fact a bit ridiculous and small minded to dismiss an entire film for that sort of reason. A way to go about it might've been to review the film, praise what was good and perhaps on the side take issue with its politics. The movie in its form, clarity, sustained vision etc is the sort of achievement that is very masculine in nature."

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, you caught that fast. I had second thoughts about trolling you.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
If your intentions are to seem like a 'moderate' MRA (I don't know if that means anything but whatever), it will never work with a handle like that.

Go find your password for Clive.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Men's Rights Forever
Member # 13269

I take up this handle only because "MRAs" are boogeymen to some people.
Men's Rights Forever
Member # 13269

Not that I am "Clive" (Who?)
Men's Rights Forever
Member # 13269

"Pitch Perfect 2" made more money than "Mad Max: Fury Road."

Perhaps America deserves bad movies.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Men's Rights Forever:
Not that I am "Clive" (Who?)

Good save. You almost blew your cover.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Men's Rights Forever
Member # 13269

[Wink]
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the owner of Returns of Kings with whom I converse sometimes via email
lol of course you would
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
So where is part 3?
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.