FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Robert Downey Jr. makes racist crack about Mexican film director

Author Topic: Robert Downey Jr. makes racist crack about Mexican film director
Men's Rights Forever
Member # 13269

- posted      Profile for Men's Rights Forever           Edit/Delete Post 
His comment made me go "Wow, just wow."

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2015/04/true-colors-4/

quote:
This is two or three days old so excuse the slowness, but until last night I hadn’t heard about Robert Downey, Jr.‘s to-the-manor-born putdown of Alejandro G. Inarritu and particularly AGI’s remark, offered in a 10.15.14 Deadline interview as well as in Birdman, about superhero movies exuding a form of cultural genocide. “The way they apply violence to it, it’s absolutely right-wing,” Alejandro said. “If you observe the mentality of most of those films, it’s really about people who are rich, who have power, who will do the good [and] who will kill the bad. Philosophically, I just don’t like them. They have been poison…because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and shit that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human.” Asked about this by the Guardian during the Avengers junket, Downey said “Look, I respect the heck out of him [and] for a man whose native tongue is Spanish to be able to put together a phrase like ‘cultural genocide’ just speaks to how bright he is.”
Wow, just wow.
Posts: 42 | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
This is super important, everyone:

My local Sprouts started carrying blueberry two-bite scones.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm unfamiliar with both Sprouts or two-bite scones. Could you clarify please, sarmup?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really see anything racist about that.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Sprouts is a fairly upscale grocery store that carries mostly organic/gmo-free/all natural type of brands. Its very close to our apartment, so we sometimes pick up stuff there if we're too lazy to go to a more normally priced establishment.

However, their produce is consistently good at a reasonable price, and they have amazing baked goods. Includng the aforementioned scones, which are a texture I don't know how to replicate in a home kitchen. Its not the powdery biscuit that I find with a lot of scone recipes I come across, but a fine crumb that I can only compare to a soft shortbread, though it's not as sweet or buttery.

More research is needed, probably involving the purchase of more scones

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Men's Rights Forever
Member # 13269

quote:
Originally posted by Wingracer:

I'll just let blogger Jeffrey Wells explain it:

quote:
This wasn’t a “quasi”-racist remark, as a director friend has suggested, but flat-out racist — an expression of an obviously patronizing, dismissive attitude on Downey’s part toward Mexican Americans and Alejandro in particular. What’s the difference between this remark and Sean Penn‘s “who gave this sonavubitch his green card?” quip at the Oscars? Context. Penn is an AGI friend using a dismissive remark “in quotes” to deliver a form of guy humor while Downey was clearly miffed about AGI and Birdman having “talked smack” about him, and was looking to score a putdown. Downey defenders will no doubt say he was talking “in quotes” also but it doesn’t seem that way to me in the above clip.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Men's Rights Forever
Member # 13269

Sean Penn gets heavily criticized for what is OBVIOUSLY a joke, and RDJ makes a SERIOUS racist quip, but oh no, it's the former that has transgressed more according to SJWs.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
hang on

back up

scones???????????

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I admit I have been almost universally unimpressed when I buy scones, but then I don't buy many and haven't made them myself, so I'm not givin' 'em a fair break.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
Clive please crawl back under the rock you crawled out from under. [Taunt]
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
I admit I have been almost universally unimpressed when I buy scones, but then I don't buy many and haven't made them myself, so I'm not givin' 'em a fair break.

I consider scones to be vile and disgusting muffin wannabes that no sane not-starving person would willing consume, but that may be because I've only had nasty dehydrated full of preservatives 2-week old coffee shop scones and am thus Missing Out.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wingracer:

He is white and he mentioned something related to race. Therefore racist.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
I consider scones to be vile and disgusting muffin wannabes that no sane not-starving person would willing consume, but that may be because I've only had nasty dehydrated full of preservatives 2-week old coffee shop scones and am thus Missing Out.

Dude. F'reals. Someday I will bake you soft buttery triangles of not-too-sweet airy cake, gentle and firm on the tongue (yes, you can be both), and oh, there is either savory flecks of sharp old cheddar and chives OR that light crunch of almost-burnt caramelized brown sugar on top but NEVER BOTH NEVER BOTH THE WORLD WILL END
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

CT I must humbly beseech you for your recipe. I believe this is the manna I seek.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-6U0ccc_Hg
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

quote:
Originally posted by sarcasticmuppet:
CT I must humbly beseech you for your recipe. I believe this is the manna I seek.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/cheddar-chive-scones-103680 -- but brush with melted butter instead of cream

For the sweet version, leave out the chives and cheddar. Substitute 1/3 cup very finely minced dried apricot plus 1/2 tsp ground coriander and 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Top with a thinly spread paste of brown sugar and melted butter.

PS: Regarding the latter, I get better results when I rub some of the flour in with the minced apricot before adding that back in. This helps the mince of dried fruit not to clump into sticky ooglesnarfs. You want ittybittywiggleums of tart sweet chewibbles.

[ May 03, 2015, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: CT ]

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

I am not afraid of the butter, sir. I have made a pact with my own Devil of dairy goodness. When I was a child -- nay, just a toddler, even -- my mother would ask me to hand-churn butter by shaking a carton of cream. I used my own marbles, sir, yes, the tiger's eye peewees, the iridescent shooter, and my very own full glaze blue Bennington.
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CT:
quote:

Dude. F'reals. Someday I will bake you soft buttery triangles of not-too-sweet airy cake, gentle and firm on the tongue (yes, you can be both), and oh, there is either savory flecks of sharp old cheddar and chives OR that light crunch of almost-burnt caramelized brown sugar on top but NEVER BOTH NEVER BOTH THE WORLD WILL END
[Smile]
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CT:
ooglesnarfs

Word of the day.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

i like fresh cold eclairs from like really good pastry shops or upscale supermarkets
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if what my grandmother makes are scones or indian fry bread. (Is that racist? Should I call it Native American fry bread?)

She takes the dough, fries it, then covers it with butter and powdered sugar. She calls them scones, but sometimes I feel like I'm living a lie when I eat them.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Sounds good by any name!
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a scone but sounds delicious.

Scones

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
i like fresh cold eclairs from like really good pastry shops or upscale supermarkets

Oooh...they say to thaw before serving but NOPE! [Smile]
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:
I'm not sure if what my grandmother makes are scones or indian fry bread. (Is that racist? Should I call it Native American fry bread?)

She takes the dough, fries it, then covers it with butter and powdered sugar. She calls them scones, but sometimes I feel like I'm living a lie when I eat them.

That's a pretty common Utah/Idaho definition of scone.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
So Mr. MRA, how would you feel about my modest proposal that once it becomes technologically viable we eliminate all meaningful gender and ethnic markers, meaning that once "concieved" your parents could have you genetically reengineered to be any skin colour, any eye colour, any hair colour, either or even both genders.

Would you agree that would eliminate racism and gender, and sexual orientation discrimination?

Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
This conversation is about scones.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'm a fan of sour cream scones. Really easy to make and easy to customize with currents, blue berries, chocolate chips or even just keep them plain.

So delicious.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Elison R. Salazar:
So Mr. MRA, how would you feel about my modest proposal that once it becomes technologically viable we eliminate all meaningful gender and ethnic markers, meaning that once "concieved" your parents could have you genetically reengineered to be any skin colour, any eye colour, any hair colour, either or even both genders.

Would you agree that would eliminate racism and gender, and sexual orientation discrimination?

i have no idea what this has to do with desserts

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.