FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » They are bringing back a tv series unfairly cancelled despite universal praise!

Author Topic: They are bringing back a tv series unfairly cancelled despite universal praise!
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait no I meant "a tv series fairly put out of its misery well after it became loathsomely terrible, plot-holed tripe"

Heroes!

Sorry to everyone out there with much better candidates for resurrection bro it's going down

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
You're a cruel man, Samprimary.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what surprising new twist they'll have this time. They've already used the familiar soap-opera tropes of amnesia, heroes becoming villains, villains becoming heroes, and enemies finding out they're really long-lost siblings. Maybe the new series will establish that it was all just a dream??
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
You've got to admit that "Company Man" was a pretty great episode, though.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
i can sort of see an argument for that heroes could use a second chance, given how abruptly slamhammered it got by the writer's strike but honestly it's like it stayed a hackneyed wreck for so long that you wonder why it's worth bringing back at all.

it takes a fairly good set of writers to be able to deal with the plot hole potential of when characters can literally go through time or are powerful enough to do all sorts of things and you end up just wondering "why didn't they do this" or "why wouldn't they just have told them that" and when the writing team becomes sub-par WHILE trying to manage drama from superpowers, this is what you get

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, it just shows that NBC has more sense than Fox. The first season of Heroes was pretty critically acclaimed and had pretty good viewership.

It wasn't until the second season that things went to crap. If they are able to recapture the quality of the first season, I think it will be a winner for them.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I've now watched the first season on Netflix and it's a resounding "Okay!". In the days pre-MCU it was an oasis of comic book drama, but now the desert has bloomed like the proverbial rose. We owe Heroes for what it paved the way for, but now that DC and Marvel are in the game it just seems silly.

I shall simply rejoice that Agent Carter got renewed for a second season.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how Marvel and DC have taken the TV comic book shows to another level (unless you're including movies). The only comic book show I've liked is Daredevil. Gotham and Agents of Shield are only okay. I haven't seen Agent Carter, but other than that, what have the big two done in the TV superhero genre that was game-changing?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heisenberg
Member # 13004

- posted      Profile for Heisenberg           Edit/Delete Post 
The reason Heroes turned to crap after the first season was that when the first season as written, the concept was to bring in an entirely new cast every season, and tell an entirely new story.

What ended up happening, predictably, was that viewers got attached to the characters and the powers that be demanded that they keep the same cast.

So while the first season told a good story and had a definitive ending, you end up starting season 2 with character resurrections and hamstringing overpowered people, and in some cases doing both. It was a constant problem for the show, as three out of the four most popular people on it were just grossly overpowered, and effectively invincible. They were never meant to last more then one season.

Anyway, I'm moderately hopeful that this new season won't be completely terrible. Keeping Sylar, Peter, and Hiro to cameos at best would help a lot with that.

Posts: 572 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/27/league-extraordinary-gentlemen-reboot

They are bringing back a movie unfairly cast to the cultural wasteland despite universal praise!

Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Heroes, its the closest I'll get to a live action anime in the West.
Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

what a horrible thing to say about live action anime
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elison R. Salazar:
live action anime

Is this a thing?
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.