FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » RICO Charges against FIFA: Kaiser Sozey Edition

Author Topic: RICO Charges against FIFA: Kaiser Sozey Edition
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds like it's going to be awesome, and I have no investment in soccer.
Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand how this is in the U.S. jurisdiction. It's non-American citizens that committed crimes that took place in an organization not based in the America. I'm not complaining though, Fifa is an awful organization.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
They committed the crimes in question in the US.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Gaal: If these people were still halfway clever in how they committed their breathtakingly cavalier crimes, they would have managed the relatively easy task of doing these crimes in a way which didn't give the U.S. full and clear ability and right to have them extradited back to the U.S. for prosecution for their obvious corruption.

But because they are so indolent with their obvious crimes and have grown lazy and dumb and arrogant with the ease of their own corruption, they didn't even bother. They just went whole hog on doing blatant obvious things in ways that tripped casually over a boatload of US anti-corruption laws. It's like they honestly didn't care and thought it didn't matter any more than any of the other laws from across the whole world that they just blatantly ignored.

The criminal acts that the US alleges they committed in the US in violation of US and various international laws (including wire fraud, racketeering and money laundering) are, conveniently, ones that they most assuredly definitely totally did a lot and in a way which doubtlessly can be easily substantiated with mounds of evidence, because, again, these people have become indolent and cavalier with their blatant and boundless corruption. These people are comically guilty.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
The president is stepping down. John Oliver must be ecstatic.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait for the Oliver Stone movie. There has to be one.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
john oliver's ecstasy is probably tempered by his having to drink a bud light lime now
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Was it the advertisers who pushed him out?
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
From my understanding it's any number of like a half dozen major issues that pushed him out. Hundreds (thousands?) of immigrant laborer deaths in Qatar which will (or was to?) host a World Cup in the building of their stadiums. (And Jesus, is there a better sign of corruption than that? They It gets 120*F plus in the summer so they had to move it to winter!)

A whole lot of doubt among many European nations, contrary to many African, South American, and Asian nation supporters among FIFA.

Although it should be noted he won't actually be *out* until, what, January to March is when new elections will be held?

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Yeah, I read that Batter confirmed that they're (FBI) building a case against him, and I imagine its going to get stronger from pressing the other officials they arrested.
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone's lawyers basically have finally hammered it into Blatter just how screwed over he is and how serious RICO charges are. They are from what I read, very seriously statutes that give the AG a huge amount of power and overreach they probably shouldn't have because of how difficult it was to prosecute Mafia dons.

The Prisoner's Dilemma is named after this essentially.

Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
I don't understand how this is in the U.S. jurisdiction. It's non-American citizens that committed crimes that took place in an organization not based in the America. I'm not complaining though, Fifa is an awful organization.

What everyone else said. If you're going to take bribes and launder money, don't let that money pass through the US. This is exactly why HSBC paid a huge fine a year ago. They laundered drug money.

In my political economy classes it was hammered into us that in many countries, even in Europe they still have accounting line items that say almost literally, "Bribes paid." In the US no such language exists and there's no official way to articulate that in our accounting.

Couple that with the fact the the US Dollar is still the global currency, and you get a situation where unfortuantely for corrupt officials, if you want to be corrupt in Switzerland, you're going to have to get convert your money into USD at some point, and unless you take great pains to make *sure* that USD never goes through the US banking system at any time, you risk stepping in it.

Getting away with corruption for decades is a great way to ensure people stop taking any pains.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
john oliver's ecstasy is probably tempered by his having to drink a bud light lime now

Does he, though? AFAIK, Budweiser was not responsible for getting rid of Blatter, which I think were his terms.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by umberhulk:
Was it the advertisers who pushed him out?

:licks finger:

Yes.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
quote:

Does he, though? AFAIK, Budweiser was not responsible for getting rid of Blatter, which I think were his terms.
Maybe not Budweiser per se. But Coke made a very public statement about how this whole shakeup would be good for FIFA. If Blatter was also corrupt (Something I would be dumbstruck if he wasn't) then *he* is also part of that necessary shakeup.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

I can kind of see Oliver going up to a writer (or someone else) saying, "I can't believe you convinced me to say that! You're fired!"
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

John's a nice guy.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Having to drink that...changes a man.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

so we had our little experiment

we think bud light lime is just a tad bit more offensive by virtue of that it is trying to appropriate an actual taste (lime) within its bud lightiness

so we asked it to check its privilege and remember that it is not okay to just take what you want from lime without respecting its history and culture. that is not what they are and that is not ok

then as punishment for its lite privilege we drank them

Dogbreath
Member # 11879

quote:
lite privilege

I see what you did there
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

John Oliver, drinking an entire Bud Light Lime on camera. (as well as eating the entire McDonalds dollar menu while wearing Adidas running shoes)
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33591332

That's awesome.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

for such an internationally reviled man, he sure has some lax personal security
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Dollar bills? There's some kind of subtle commentary in that.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

He probably could've hosted the next World Cup in his backyard if used larger denominations.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.