FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Which Pill?

Author Topic: Which Pill?
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a Tumblr meme going around asking which pill you'd take, of eight pills that each grant different superpowers. (Red is strength, blue teleportation, etc)

Then there's this excellent short story about them:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/06/02/and-i-show-you-how-deep-the-rabbit-hole-goes/

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah this was pretty great but [spoilers redacted]
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tertiaryadjunct
Member # 12989

- posted      Profile for tertiaryadjunct           Edit/Delete Post 
That was brilliant
Posts: 89 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoyed it
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stilesbn
Member # 11809

- posted      Profile for stilesbn   Email stilesbn         Edit/Delete Post 
That was awesome. I think I'd go with blue even after the story.
Posts: 362 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
RED FTW
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
* SPOILERS AFTER THIS POINT IN THE THREAD, EVERYONE FEEL FREE TO POST WHATEVER, READ BEYOND AT YOUR OWN RISK *

-

-

-

I know in my heart that Black is the best, but honestly I'm *annoyed* when I have to think really strategically and comprehensively, and if I took the Black pill I'd feel obligated to do so all the time.

I think I'd go with either blue (for my own enjoyment) or orange (for some combination of enjoyment + actual-world-saving).

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to be a rather clever take on "The Last Question" by Asimov. I liked it. [Smile]

Kind of annoyed that it took them ~1 quadrillion years to realize that TRP guy is a source of unlimited energy. You would think that thoroughly investigating the nature and capabilities of each person's power would be the first thing they would do. Also, even if they did realize it at the very end, why not just send back a message like they did before: "hey, use TRP guy to start generating insane amounts of energy now so most of the people in the universe don't die."

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tertiaryadjunct
Member # 12989

- posted      Profile for tertiaryadjunct           Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, that's just what they deserve after ignoring the superiority of BRUTE STRENGTH for so long.

/Lifts a truck with his erection

Posts: 89 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Loved it. I knew it was going to be a Pandora's Box type of experiment, so rather than picking which I thought would benefit me the most, I tried to pick which I thought would harm me the least. I was stuck between Grey and Yellow, and ultimately went with Yellow.

Also, I enjoyed the Red-Pill/Reddit/PUA joke.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the story doesn't work when you think about the problem of 'hmmm power generation and super strong guy', plus the question of 'why wasn't anyone testing the last pill person until the end of the universe?'

But aside from that it was funny and interesting [Smile]

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
Quite enjoyable but I do have a few issues with it.

Green: Why not just shapeshift into the Hawk? Or the monster great white?

Pink: Description says "can" be turned off with a touch, not "will" or "must." The story clearly makes it out to be a must.

Blue: I think I would have spent some time exploring the possibility of using this power to teleport to a new universe.

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Black or Blue would be my top tier choice.

If there were 8 pills with 8 people and we each got to choose in some sort of order:

Black
Blue
Orange
Grey
Yellow
Pink
Red
Green

Although if I thought about it more that might change if you accept the premise that they'd all essentially be immortal.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Blue is also an easy source of anti-entropy, especially if he can teleport anything he is holding. Even if not, he can easily transport to areas of high potential energy from ones of low potential energy and be impervious to harm.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
But isn't that just harvesting energy that's already out there rather than generating more energy than is put in?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I think so, yeah. Let's say you had a portal gun and linked two portals such that you got infinite falling. As long as the portals maintained their position relative to the surface, an object dropped into them would constantly accelerate (up to terminal velocity) without taking energy from anywhere else. It would come from its position on a space time curve.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I think my choice would be orange, black, then blue.

Black is limited by what he can think of and do and there's got to be a pretty heavy cost in thinking of all the different scenarios. Orange is the combination of all the world's smartest and most capable people. In a lot of cases orange could pretty much know the future and also would be able to create the future.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.