FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mass Shootings/Gun Reform (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Mass Shootings/Gun Reform
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Both took generational change...my father, uncle & father in law all smoke(d).

My uncle died of lung cancer and stll smoked. His mother too, my maternal grandmother. My dad's dad died of lung cancer and after smoking his whole life, my father started smoking at age 13, & continues to this day.

The smokers died and the culture changed.

My wife & I smoked up until we started trying to get pregnant, and quit w little hassle. My kids don't even kno what a cigarette is!

So, change the culture and wait for the die hards to...die.

Good plan, very slow acting tho.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that slow. Smokers have decreased by more than half in my lifetime. Drunk driving fatalities have decreased by more than half since I graduated from high school.

Maybe your inability to recognize what is in front of you is genetic?

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

If so, I wouldn't recognize it.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Btw...did you catch what you said..."in my lifetime"...

I don't think we disagree as much as you'd like

kmbboots
Member # 8576

Yup. The rest of us can see that you don't. I predicted that you wouldn't back on page 2. For all you pretend to be the voice of reason.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
Do I?

Do you still have guns? Do you still think that people like you should have guns?

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Oh hey, figured out why I need an AR...apocalypse insurance.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Why aren't you in Sam's face or DB? They still own guns too.

Also it seems very unfair of you to say that merely owning a firearm means I'm pro gun culture.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

You don't own a firearm. You claim to own "about a dozen".

I trust Sam and DB to be more realistic about who they are in relation to firearms than I trust you. You are indulging in a fantasy; I don't think that they are.

Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why aren't you in Sam's face or DB? They still own guns too.

Also it seems very unfair of you to say that merely owning a firearm means I'm pro gun culture.

I don't think anyone is saying that merely owning a firearm means you're pro gun culture.

I think (and everyone who has discussed this with you has said the same) that saying things like "we should have a federal level conceal carry militia program with armed citizens empowered to citizen's arrest people George Zimmerman style" is the problem. I think that thinking you're somehow going to stop a mass shooting or defend yourself against rioting "young black fellas" is the problem. Or that you think you need to conceal carry for some reason to protect yourself against the very remote possibility of bear attacks, or the Chinese invading, or in case our government suddenly decides to start a genocide once a certain number of Americans stop conceal carrying... that is definitely a problem. That sort of toxic, paranoid, reactionary, "it's a dangerous, uncertain world and I need my gun just in case" mentality that has created and sustained the gun problem in our country, and it's a mentality you've bought into wholeheartedly.

I think if it was that you "merely" owned a firearm - let's say you said "I own a few firearms, keep locked in my safe, take 'em to the range every month or so and have a great time shooting them. Oh, I also have a hunting rifle, I go hunting when deer are in season" sans any of the other crap you claimed to "need" a gun for - I doubt anyone here, or many people in general, would have much of a problem with that. As I've mentioned, even the western democracies with the most restrictive gun laws (the UK for example) allow people to own guns for hunting and sport. The UK also has a gun death rate that is 1/45th(!) what the US's is (0.23 per 100,000 compared to 10.54 per 100,000) as well as 1/4th the overall murder rate. This is despite having all the other problems the US has that you mentioned: drugs, poverty, crime, prostitution, gangs, inner cities, etc. (Which again, is a hard number, factual refutation to your "where there's a will there's a way" pointy stick nonsense - not "sentimentality" that you can just "shockingly" disagree with)

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, I would love some gun rights advocate to seriously answer the contradiction between 'if someone wants to kill someone, they'll do it, and if they can't get a gun they'll kill with something else' and the difficulty of societies much like ours-such as the UK-not bearing this out at all.

Is there something about Americans that makes us uniquely more murderous than our fellow humans in similar circumstances? Or is there some mysterious variable or set of variables that simply drive our fellow humans to murder less often?

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I think I'll go post an a crazy conservative board so they can call me a damn dirty liberal just for a change of pace.

Also, boots, Australia has less ppl than Cali, so pointing at them and saying...see, they did it...doesn't seem like the same thing. Also, was there a down under equivalent to the NRA, or did the Aussie constitution have a 2nd Amend version as ours does?

If you want to ban guns, you must surmount the 2nd first or risk the county going ape shit.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

Where do you imagine I suggested banning guns? Is it easier to address arguments I haven't made than the ones I have?

[ July 11, 2016, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: kmbboots ]

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:

Also, boots, Australia has less ppl than Cali, so pointing at them and saying...see, they did it...doesn't seem like the same thing. Also, was there a down under equivalent to the NRA, or did the Aussie constitution have a 2nd Amend version as ours does?

Ok so we're back to population density and/or size being a driving factor. Ok. The United Kingdom ranks #53 in population density on Earth, and it should be added that quite a few that come ahead of it are basically cities that are also nation, which inflates their population density.

Wanna know what number the United States is? One-hundred and seventy-ninth. https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population_density This poses a problem for the assertion implicit in your question. According to the way you view the world, as explained by you, the United Kingdom as well as Hawaii should be basically Mad Max with different accents. Not only are they not apocalyptic wastelands of violence, they're far *less* violent than most of the world and especially than the United States.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

Yeah, the "population density causes more gun deaths" argument is absurd. At 218 people/square mile Hawaii has ~11 times the population density of the United States (and about the same as California, incidentally) as whole but the lowest gun death rate. For extra absurdity, the least populous state - Alaska, at 1.3 people/square mile - has a gun death rate of 19.59 per 100,000, the highest in the Union.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

What's crazy about that is in Alaska the traffic fatality rate is 12.26 per 100,000. It's literally more likely for one to get shot to death in Alaska than die in a car crash.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
Yeah, the "population density causes more gun deaths" argument is absurd. At 218 people/square mile Hawaii has ~11 times the population density of the United States (and about the same as California, incidentally) as whole but the lowest gun death rate. For extra absurdity, the least populous state - Alaska, at 1.3 people/square mile - has a gun death rate of 19.59 per 100,000, the highest in the Union.

But I really feel like guns can make you safer!
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
Where do you imagine I suggested banning guns? Is it easier to address arguments I haven't made than the ones I have?

And yet you keep asking me if I still owned guns, and acted as if owning them alone meant something...so, it might not be an all out ban, just banning me.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Believing that people should choose not to have guns is not the same as banning them.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Owning guns by the dozen and believing the things you have said about why you want them is evidence of you buying into the fantasy. That is why, when you deny or question that, I remind you.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

All but three were gifts from my father, all in fact before my majority. All of those are small caliber, or long guns, which we hunted our land & put food on the table with.

My father sold all but one of his when the family company went under.

One I saved up for one @ age 17 w my first job out of high school, one I bought when I worked at the range, one my wife bought me for one of our anniversaries (a WWII relic, bolt action $99 Big5 special).

Honestly, it shouldn't be any of your business, but, I haven't bought a new gun in decades. They sit in my safe, unloaded (except one) for -the majority of my life-.

Also note, I made my living with a side arm.

Bleh!

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Honestly, it shouldn't be any of your business...
Said the man who demanded credentials from me, and then when I said I would communicate via email, demanded they be public, and then after I posted it sent a couple of unwelcome emails to me with the gloating remark 'why would I listen to you' when I said 'don't email me'.

It was a pointless exercise anyway, since as a liar (Excuse me, 'exaggerater') you wouldn't believe what I said if it didn't suit you anyway, but I decided what the hell, more or less just to see what you would do. Once again you didn't disappoint.

And now it's, what, two weeks? Three, tops, and the words 'shouldn't be any of your business' come out of your mouth. After someone points out 'hey you're all over the map on this how many guns question'.

You're really going for broke on this hypocrite thing aren't you?

kmbboots
Member # 8576

Dude, you are the one who decided to start a thread on gun control.
hawser
Member # 13415

- posted      Profile for hawser           Edit/Delete Post 
Tougher gun control measures could have reduced the likelihood of some of the worst mass shootings this year.
Posts: 116 | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I think I'll take a three year break from this site. [Wave]
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
It doesn't matter. No fact, no reasoned argument, no logic, no appeal to the heart, no stories or pictures of mutilated bodies - even those of children - will change his mind. His fantasy of being an action hero in his own life is too powerful to give up. It is more precious to him than the lives that could be saved. It is worth, to him, putting his family at a higher risk*. It is certainly worth more than the blood of strangers.

*This is statistically true. He won't believe it because it doesn't fit his imagined narrative.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
I think I'll take a three year break from this site. [Wave]

Translation: Wahhhhhhhh! People keep giving me grief for failing to address facts.

Anyway, if you do take such a break, try not to call anyone sons of whores or wish they were dead. Aside from being really bad form, it makes you look like a jackass!

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogaV_9cUbQo
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The 73-year-old was there as a student in the citizen police academy, a two-hour course intended to give an intimate look at what makes the department in the quaint Florida town work.

The hosting officers chose two students to role-play in a lethal force simulation, a scenario intended to demonstrate how and when officers decide to pull the trigger.

These scenarios are usually safe, acted out with either fake or empty weapons.

But when the officer’s gun was fired, Knowlton — a mother, wife and career librarian — was hit with live ammunition.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/08/10/woman-fatally-shot-in-accident-during-fla-citizen-police-academy-lethal-force-simulation/

<Zapp Brannigan> Mission accomplished

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I am 100% against Gun Control--who wants to be controlled.

I am 100% for Gun Safety--who doesn't want to be safe?

Gun Safety includes the following:

Mandatory training on gun safety.

Gun Locks. (We lock our phones, but can't lock our guns?)

Gun Licensing requiring a Safety and Accuracy test.

Requiring Concealed Carry Permit holder to put in X-number of hours a year at a range to be proficient with their weapon, instead of a clumsy danger to anyone nearby.

Research into Gun safety to be federally funded.

Mental-instability is just cause to disallow a person from owning a gun. (The NRA is against this, fearing anti-gun groups will make the desire to own a gun proof of mental instability. However every mass shooting has been described by the NRA as a mentally unstable person with a gun. Lets take that gun away from them. Besides suicides by gun users are way higher and exponentially less survivable than suicides attempted by other means)

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

- posted      Profile for PanaceaSanans   Email PanaceaSanans         Edit/Delete Post 
I particularly like this:

quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
Requiring Concealed Carry Permit holder to put in X-number of hours a year at a range to be proficient with their weapon, instead of a clumsy danger to anyone nearby.

And maybe judge by actual proficiency in addition to hours/year?
Posts: 366 | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.