FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Looking for good Fantasy books or Thriller type novels. Help?

Author Topic: Looking for good Fantasy books or Thriller type novels. Help?
AchillesL
Member # 13408

- posted      Profile for AchillesL   Email AchillesL         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for good Fantasy books or Thriller type novels. Help? Also Character-Driven Science Fiction is good too. Thanks!
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iglee
Member # 12455

- posted      Profile for iglee   Email iglee         Edit/Delete Post 
To start off, may I suggest "The Legacy of Heorot" (1987) by Steven Barnes, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. This is definitely a "thriller" (understatement), and has great characters. But it is not in the "fantasy" category - but in the "hard" Sci-Fi genre.

Then there is the Orson Scott Card fantasy novel "Enchantment" (1999). Besides being fun and thrilling, it has the advantage of being a stand-alone novel so you don't have to feel you have to spend the next five years reading every book in some series (like with The Wheel of Time and a whole bunch of other great fantasy series). Two other good stand-alone fantasies of Card's are "Magic Street" (2005) and "Homebody" (1998).

I also recommend pretty much anything by Timothy Zahn, but especially "The Icarus Hunt." (1999) (I categorize this as somewhere between fantasy and hard scifi because of the faster-than-light thing which is still fantasy - but then I can pick nits about that with the best of nit pickers.)

Also worth mentioning are "Elantris" (2005) and "Steelheart" (2013) by Brandon Sanderson.

Of course, my most resent all-time favorite novel is "The Martian" by Andrew Weir. But that can hardly be classed as a "thriller" anymore since pretty much everyone on the planet knows the plot and how it turns out.

Posts: 71 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If you like fantasy and thrillers and have not yet read Joe Abercrombie, you're missing out.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I read some of his stuff a few years back, and loved it. Been on a reading binge lately and I am planning on catching up with his books.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.