FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is your favorite foreign novel?

Author Topic: What is your favorite foreign novel?
AchillesL
Member # 13408

- posted      Profile for AchillesL   Email AchillesL         Edit/Delete Post 
What is your favorite foreign novel? ie books written from outside of your country.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
The Bible.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

- posted      Profile for PanaceaSanans   Email PanaceaSanans         Edit/Delete Post 
Phantom, by Susan Kay
Posts: 366 | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Lord of the Rings
The Golden Compass

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
The Master and Margarita.

Also, in terms of books written outside YOUR country, I recommend "The ZigZag Kid" by David Grossman. Highly recommend, even.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, The Elegance of the Hedgehog. And I'm sure there are others, they'll keep coming to me.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
"Siddhartha"

- Herman Hesse

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a number of ways this question could be read. I think I'll answer it in the sense of 'favorite book with the most foreign plot', since others have already remarked 'Lord of the Rings' which is geographically but not culturally foreign, to me at least.

So for me right now I think it would be Shalimar the Clown by Salman Rushdie. Though he is quite Western, in that story Rushdie involves multiple plots and characters that are extremely foreign to me.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, i haven't read many foreign novels.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
Fate Stay/Night.
Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hawser
Member # 13415

- posted      Profile for hawser           Edit/Delete Post 
Stefan Zweig’s The World of Yesterday
Posts: 116 | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
War and Peace.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zlogdanbr
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
In my case the question is better made as "which are the local Brazilian authors you read" because I mostly read foreign authors :-)

I like Guimaraes Rosa, Braulio Tavares, Lima Barreto, Flavio Medeiros, Carlos Drummond de Andrade ( the only poetry I really really like in any language ).

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raia:
Also, The Elegance of the Hedgehog. And I'm sure there are others, they'll keep coming to me.

That's mine.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare_Sorridente
Member # 13443

- posted      Profile for Jacare_Sorridente           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Siddhartha as someone else mentioned. I also enjoyed la Dama del Alba (if you read Spanish) and O Guarani (in Portuguese)
Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.