FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hive Queens

Author Topic: Hive Queens
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

- posted      Profile for PanaceaSanans   Email PanaceaSanans         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to see "Independence Day: Resurgence" when it was in theaters. It was shallow but enjoyable enough, and I totally love the imagery. Those aliens are spectacular!
A day later on the train to Berlin I found OSC had written a review and I read it fully expecting him to comment on the Hive Queen similarity. Alas, he didn't. Maybe the theme is just too common in SciFi circles for anybody to question it anymore?

Which had me thinking with a wry amusement: Wouldn't it be fun if one day humanity ran into a war faring alien race and decided to kill their queen in a desperate attempt to save ourselves, only to be then overrun by an army terribly enraged and fighting with all the conviction of napoleonic soldiers? Not exactly fun, I guess...^^
But ID:R would have been so much better for it - in my mind. Maybe I'm just not American enough (stupid stereotype) to appreciate the notion of "we are invincible"? I kinda did like "Knowing" for that matter. [Big Grin]

I'm sure there are more cases of "kill their queen - all drop dead"-aliens than just ID:R and the Formics, but I can't think of any right now. Can one of you contribute another example? Or even one for "my" scenario?

[ September 02, 2016, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: PanaceaSanans ]

Posts: 366 | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Borg. Originally they were different than that, but later the writers got lazy and went with the Hive Queen.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
The Chitauri in The Avengers. (implied, at the very least, by the mothership being destroyed causing them all to drop)
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

- posted      Profile for PanaceaSanans   Email PanaceaSanans         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes, that was the one lurking in the back of my head but ungraspable. Thank you.

[ September 02, 2016, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: PanaceaSanans ]

Posts: 366 | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Let's conveniently kill the mothership to instantly take out all the infinite waves of superior forces" is a trope that doesn't even require a hive mind. Consider the Trade Federation control ships in the Star Wars prequels.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.