FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Foreign Foods

Author Topic: Foreign Foods
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

- posted      Profile for PanaceaSanans   Email PanaceaSanans         Edit/Delete Post 
Today I found frozen jack-fruit in an Asian supermarket. I had first eaten those in 2014 in Thailand, found them delicious and since then missed and longed for that specific taste every once in a while. I had tried the canned version in 2015, but was not all happy with the taste. Now, the frozen one today, I couldn't even wait until I got home before I opened the bag and tried them, and they are so delicious! [Blushing] Little things that make a day perfect.

I'm still missing the banana- or taro-filled sticky rice thingies wrapped in leaves which they grilled by the side of the road. Those were incredible! And the grass jelly drink! And those colorful sweet noodles served in milk.^^

Are there any foreign foods that you encountered while traveling (or before moving) and don't want to live without now? Are you able to get your hands on them where you live?

Posts: 366 | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the chinese white rabbit candies! I shop at an asian supermarket weekly though, so lots of things really.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elcheeko75
Member # 13292

- posted      Profile for Elcheeko75   Email Elcheeko75         Edit/Delete Post 
My family lived in Maylasia when I was younger and my favorite from then that isn't readily available anywhere that I've found here is a kind of fresh watermelon punch that they sold from roadside stalls. You wouldn't think watermelon juice would be that hard to recreate but I've had only marginal success so far. Also a small, sweet fruit called rambutans (also called liches I believe). I've found them canned here, but it's just not the same.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Wild rice days in MN...They had 50 different wild rice dishes every year...wild rice pudding is SO good
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zlogdanbr
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Jack fruit, yikes... I recall when my grandfather took us ( myself and my two younger brothers) to visit some farms he usually visited and one of the people that we visited just gave my grandpa a jack fruit. My grandpa was really happy and told us we would love it.

Well I not just did not like it at all as I felt very nauseated by the smell. I dislike it so much that I use jaca as the name of dummy variables I use to require at my code for debugs.

Strictly speaking Brazilian food has been influenced a lot by so many different cultures that lots of foreign foods are things we ate at daily basis. Sometime ago for example, Lasagna was voted national favorite food.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

- posted      Profile for PanaceaSanans   Email PanaceaSanans         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeni, I don't know those. What do they taste like?

Cheeko, rambutans are much more delicious than liches, I believe. [Big Grin] I also really liked mangosteen fruits.

zlog... Hehe. Can't argue taste, can you? I never took to the durian fruit for similar reasons (i.e. smell).
And interesting about the Brazilian food diversity. In Germany, the past decades brought a flood of Asian and Turkish food choices in addition to the quite common Italian and Greek restaurants. [Smile]

Posts: 366 | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss real Irish brown soda bread.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elcheeko75
Member # 13292

- posted      Profile for Elcheeko75   Email Elcheeko75         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a durian tree in our backyard. My dad was the only one who would eat it. I'm convinced he didn't really like it and was just eating it to show off how adventurous he was.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zlogdanbr
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Elcheeko75:
We had a durian tree in our backyard. My dad was the only one who would eat it. I'm convinced he didn't really like it and was just eating it to show off how adventurous he was.

[ROFL]

If it tastes or smells like Jack fruit I can bet that it was quite of an adventure for your father.

zlogdanbr
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by PanaceaSanans:
Jeni, I don't know those. What do they taste like?

Cheeko, rambutans are much more delicious than liches, I believe. [Big Grin] I also really liked mangosteen fruits.

zlog... Hehe. Can't argue taste, can you? I never took to the durian fruit for similar reasons (i.e. smell).
And interesting about the Brazilian food diversity. In Germany, the past decades brought a flood of Asian and Turkish food choices in addition to the quite common Italian and Greek restaurants. [Smile]

We have had a huge Lebanese immigration flow back in the early 20s here in Brazil, specially in my state so Lebanese food is really integrated into our culture in some places. I have found out a restaurant here where I live that serves Armenian Lebanese food, which is just my favorite.

Dozza

In the south of Brazil we have had a huge German immigration flow in the early 20s so you easily find German food there and also some very good beers:

Eisenbahn

There is actually a beer festival in Blumenau

www.oktoberfestblumenau.com.br/

JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My family lived in Maylasia when I was younger...

For serious? I went to 2nd-5th grade there from 1990-1994, KL. You?
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Malaysia.

Beef rendang .

It's typically quite spicy, but dang...

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elcheeko75
Member # 13292

We lived in Penang, from 2nd - 4th grade, but mine was from 83-85.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Where is Jake when you need him!
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Rotten cheese fruit...with a hefty undertone of unwashed feet
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
because i am human garbage i find the most garbage county-fair-truck grub equivalent of any culture's cuisine and love it the most of anything, ever. girlfriend's chinese but prefers japanese food so she has gotten to witness firsthand my capacity to consume inhuman quantities of croquettes and takoyaki
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
because i am human garbage i find the most garbage county-fair-truck grub equivalent of any culture's cuisine and love it the most of anything, ever. girlfriend's chinese but prefers japanese food so she has gotten to witness firsthand my capacity to consume inhuman quantities of croquettes and takoyaki

There's a Chinese place near my house that is owned by a pretty accomplished chef and it has some pretty authentic stuff, Szechuan mostly I think, but the thing I like the most is these breaded, deep fried pork rib slices that are just nothing but crunch and fat and salt and garlic (and then we add the chili oil). It's what you'd get if movie theaters sold pork instead of popcorn, and it's the best thing ever.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
says it's the equivalent of if someone came to america from japan and was like "ah, a traditional american breakfast of funnel cakes, fried pickles and hawaiian punch" to which i do a deadpan slow turn-around and ask her how she found out that secret very true information
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:

There's a Chinese place near my house that is owned by a pretty accomplished chef and it has some pretty authentic stuff, Szechuan mostly I think, but the thing I like the most is these breaded, deep fried pork rib slices that are just nothing but crunch and fat and salt and garlic (and then we add the chili oil). It's what you'd get if movie theaters sold pork instead of popcorn, and it's the best thing ever.
wait are they like this

http://taiwanduck.com/how-to-make-salt-and-pepper-pork-ribs/

scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a photo from Yelp:
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/sweet-ginger-midvale-2?select=5SYTrNUAm7QCggFgGH7Agg

Not as much vegetable content and thinner slices

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

So your 'breaded, deep fried pork rib slices' just made me remember the delicious 'breaded (orange-tinted) sweet and sour chicken slices' I had in Los Angeles, which in turn reminded me of OATMEAL! Oh, this stuff was delicious! Ate it regularly during my brief three month there. Probably no big deal to most of you, but I last had it in 2009, so I really, really miss the taste.^^
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reasonably certain you can buy oats in Germany. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PanaceaSanans
Member # 13395

Of course you're correct, Tom. But as with Cheeko's watermelon punch, I'd need to make the oats into oatmeal, and I don't know how. Problem is, the common translation for "oatmeal" is "Haferbrei" - and that stuff tastes completely different. To be honest, I have not looked into it further than that, because I had forgotten about my taste for it...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.