FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I just lost my 15 minutes of fame.

Author Topic: I just lost my 15 minutes of fame.
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in the St. Louis Area. Next week is the next Presidential debate, hosted by my Alma-Mater, Washington University.

I discovered Tuesday that this debate is going to be a town hall meeting style debate, with random average citizens being selected to ask questions.

They are choosing these citizens by having Gallup Polling call randomly around the area finding undecided voters.

Last Friday I received a call from Gallup Polling. It went like this:

Gallup: Do you know which of the candidates you will be voting for?

Me: Probably Ms. Clinton.

Gallup: Is there anything that could change your mind and convince you to vote for Mr. Trump?

Me: (Stifling laugh) No.

Gallup: Thank you for taking part in this poll. Please, have a nice evening.

Wow. If I would have answered anything else, shown my usual willingness to listen to both sides and not be biased. Well, in this case if I would have lied my @#$# off, I could have been on national TV asking the presidential nominees some deep, important, and probably Hatrack-vetted question.

Who else has missed their 15 minutes of fame by a small bit?

Who would lie to get on TV and perhaps effect the course of world history with some great question in such a national debate?

What question should be asked?

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I mean, can you imagine nothing, however fantastic, that might get you to for Trump? Because I sure can.

You could have still been on TV honestly.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Try calling them back and telling them you changed your mind [Razz]
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wondered how these people are selected, is it from the Gallup poll or some other source?

There are a suspiciously low number of troll questions, so it can't be so random.

As for TV, I've been on TV before (a documentary was filmed at my workplace), and to be honest, the experience is not the best, from the incredibly uncomfortable and awkward process of filming (you never, ever forget they are there), to the reactions of people who have seen your bit, to the interactions with the crew with respect to your performance. Meanwhile, my dad won't stop talking about it, I think the show wasn't that great, and I now have a "creeper" file with work that includes a letter from a stranger who is in the market for a new step mom, and decided I'm a great candidate based on what he saw on TV.

My coworker was super jealous (I was like, no it's not fun) and when another crew came, she got to deal with them. It was very validating to find out that she didn't enjoy the experience either, and her complaints were the very same ones I had. Oh, and for some reason they decided they needed to film her and a bunch of people (which included me) eating lunch. This was incredibly uncomfortable. Lucky me, it was a foreign crew, so my parents don't know about this, and I'm glad.

I think between the both of us, the next time the TV crew comes by, we are more than happy to shove someone else in front of them. Call it gracious, or sharing the fame, but honestly, TV is terrible.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
You may still have some input on questions.

Debate Questions

They claim that the questions that get the most votes will be "considered". So many of the questions are either "gotcha" (Now that Obamacare has failed...") or stupid ("How do you plan to fix discrimination against white Christians?) it would be nice if we could tip the scales a bit.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Whelp, one of the people watching the debate did get really, really famous.

Jealous?

I recommended checking out the gizmodo article on him and how he did an ama from his real reddit account. It's not family friendly.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.