FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Magical Mystery Gift Exchange 2016 (What is magical to you?)

Author Topic: Hatrack Magical Mystery Gift Exchange 2016 (What is magical to you?)
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
We're doing this thing! Post here to sign up. Did we want to do a gift theme this year?

[ November 25, 2016, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Sign me up. LDS, so no alcohol.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never done this before... can someone run down how this works?
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:
I've never done this before... can someone run down how this works?

You sign up. After sign ups close we post what sorts of colors/types of things we like. You are then assigned a person, and somebody is assigned to give you something. You all PM me mailing addresses and I get those to your gift giver.

Then we all talk about what we got as they arrive.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm out this year, but I'm glad you're running it.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
OOOO Me too!
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I will sign up.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
It was a lot of fun last year - I'll do it again.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

We'll do signups until. Thanksgiving. Then I'll send out your assignment, and we'll post what we like here. [Smile]
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in again.
Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

I'll send out assignments this weekend. [Smile]
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Feel free to post the types of things you enjoy. Colors, aesthetics, genre, etc.

This should give your gift giver some direction. Homemade is always welcome. I think we will cap gifts at $30.

JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

I enjoy books (fantasy, science fiction, non-fiction), films, music, Asian things, and particularly home-made crafts.

I love the colors black, grey, and groupings of other colors that look nice together.

JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Please PM me your mailing address. I was compiling my list from previous emails but realized there's no guarantee y'all live at these addresses still.

I'll give the appropriate person the shipping address along with their assignment so I don't email twice.

Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

I enjoy books as well, especially fantasy and sci-fi and sci-nonfi. Short story collections of any genre, really. I am super-into everything Lord of the Rings related. And Harry Potter related. My favorite color is red.

ETA: I would also welcome anything that is culturally relevant to you or your part of the world, if it's different than mine - I'm American, and I live in Las Vegas.

[ November 30, 2016, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Sean Monahan ]

Dogbreath
Member # 11879

I enjoy books, but preferably old ones with cool or interesting cover art. I've been getting into historical non-fiction and biographies a lot of late (I just started a gigantic 700+ page Complete Book of US Presidents, mainly so I can say I have at least a cursory understanding of each President and their administration), but I also love Science Fiction, both novels and short stories.

My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a townhouse right now, with closing set for January 15th. So items that go well with a new house maybe? I dunno. I also like cool little things in general from wherever you live. Things with a story behind them. In the end, I really think the best sort of gift to receive is the sort of gift the giver really likes giving, because those are usually surprising and interesting and fun. (BTW, the robot spider I got last year is still going strong and running around the house, terrifying guests [Smile] )

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

LDS, so no alcohol. I like scifi,fantasy,books,movies,anime,maybe something unique to your part of the country/world
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I love graphic novels, music, especially Dir en grey and Chelsea Wolfe, cute plush toys. Spiders. Tea. My favourite colour is every hue and shade of blue and also black.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

I'm LDS so yadda, yadda. I like stuff from your area, large denominational currency, books (especially historical non-fiction), and pretty much anything engineering/scientific related.

[ November 29, 2016, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Eisenoxyde ]

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Assignments were sent out.

Tom: I need you to confirm your address (PM is fine) so I can give it to your gift giver.

Dogbreath
Member # 11879

I got a package from Derrell today! [Smile]
Derrell
Member # 6062

I hope you like it.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I just ordered a present.

These are two of my favourite musicians of the year.

Dogbreath
Member # 11879

quote:
Originally posted by Derrell:
I hope you like it.

I just got another one today! Thank you so much! I was planning on waiting until Christmas but I finally broke down and opened both of them, and they're pretty awesome. [Smile] I plan on reading Frederick Douglass' book on a plane ride this Saturday. It's kind of uncanny you sent it because I was just talking about him with a friend a few weeks ago and realized I had never read anything by him and didn't know too much about his life.

The Lure of the Dutchman looks pretty fascinating too. [Smile]

Thank you!

Derrell
Member # 6062

I grew up listening to tales of the Lost Dutchman. People have been looking for the mine since Jacob Waltz died and they found a huge chunk of gold ore under his bed.

I got a package, but don't know who sent it. I got the first season of The Expanse and some moldable glue. Thanks to who ever sent it.

Derrell
Member # 6062

I grew up listening to tales of the Lost Dutchman. People have been looking for the mine since Jacob Waltz died and they found a huge chunk of gold ore under his bed.

I got a package, but don't know who sent it. I got the first season of The Expanse and some moldable glue. Thanks to who ever sent it.

JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

I received my gift from Synesthesia!

It's albums by Chelsea Wolfe and Emma Ruth Rundle. I've never heard of either so I'm looking forward to being surprised. Her last recommendation was Dir En Grey and that was certainly a very out there, but *good* recommendation in a lot of ways! [Smile]

Thank you!

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Oo I hope you like them. They've been some of the best I've discovered this year. Especially Chelsea Wolfe who I get to see in California. YAY! [Party]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Still nothing here. [Frown]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

Just an FYI, I still have yet to send mine out, sorry. (Tom is not my sendee)
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Bah. I'm sorry folks. I'll follow up with people to get gift statuses tomorrow.
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

By tomorrow I meant today.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

And by "today," you meant "tomorrow." [Smile]
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

My computer with the tracking file is oit of my reach. Going as fast as I can.
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

Hey Tom, I've had your present for the past week now, but haven't had the chance to ship it out. (been traveling and then caught up with everything involved with the purchase of our new place) I'm going to try to get it out by this weekend. I apologize for the delay.
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Have I missed following up with anybody about gifts? Sorry about how late I've been with following up.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Mine came today, including Exploding Kittens and some delicious chocolate-covered macadamia nuts!

Thank you, John!

Dogbreath
Member # 11879

You're welcome! Sorry it was so late.
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

I got my package from Eisenoxyde! Thank you!

I got 3 books: The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy, Between Worlds, and Aliens and Linguists. You managed to get 3 that I don't already have. I'm excited to get to them, especially the linguists one. [Smile]

I suppose I can now reveal that yours will come from me. The longer I procrastinated, the more I thought it would be a bigger surprise if I sent it later in the year. But now that I've gotten yours, I'll get mine out this weekend.

Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

You're welcome, I was away for work and didn't realize they didn't get sent out. You can procrastinate as long as you want, I won't be home again for another 2 months.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.