FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Real Life Ansible

Author Topic: Real Life Ansible
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.livescience.com/59810-quantum-teleportation-record-shattered.html

I remember in one of the books Ender said that each time a spacecraft uses it's FTL drive (or rather, near-speed of light) a planet dies somewhere, that it's not (or shouldn't be) possible to get a thing like this for free and without consequences.

Im probably an old romantic like him right now, but yeah, instantaneous communications? Quantum teleportation? I want our communications to go back to the oh-so touching and poignant bee-beep of Morse code machines.

Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
you seem to have missed this paragraph from the article:

"While it sounds like information is traveling faster than light, there's no way to use this property as an instantaneous messaging system. That's because even though the states of entangled particles are correlated, you can't know what they are before you measure them, nor can you control the state."

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.