FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What have you been reading?

Author Topic: What have you been reading?
BlackishSlate
Member # 12650

- posted      Profile for BlackishSlate   Email BlackishSlate         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everybody. I was just cleaning out my bookmarks folder and I was reminded of this forum. It seems a little sparse in here so I thought I'd make a post and talk about some books.

I've been splitting my time between Richard Rorty's Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature, and Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov. I'm enjoying them both immensely.

What are you all currently reading, and why? If you're not reading something right now, then what is the best book that you've read in the past year?

[ November 06, 2017, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: BlackishSlate ]

Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished the Broken Earth trilogy which was great. I've also been recommending the Louise Penny mysteries. They are wonderful.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently reading the seventh book in Xanth series. It is very enjoyable so far.

In the evenings I am reading Skulduggery Pleasant: Resurrection.

ETA: Finished the Xanth book yesterday. Now I am rereading Seventh Son.

[ November 09, 2017, 03:12 AM: Message edited by: Mr. Y ]

Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett. Love the series, whimsical, funny, good character arcs.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson. The book comes out next week, but Tor has released the first 32 chapters free on their website.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:
Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson. The book comes out next week, but Tor has released the first 32 chapters free on their website.

I couldn't bring myself to read 32 chapters of a book I know is about to come out.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JanitorBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:

I couldn't bring myself to read 32 chapters of a book I know is about to come out.
I kind of wish now that I hadn't. The pacing of only reading 3 chapters/week was off from how I'd normally be reading for myself. Also, in the interim of waiting for each new release, I perused the reader discussions taking place after each 3-chapter release, and I did not like that, but could not stay away. It detracted from my enjoyment of the first read-through as a single-user experience.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
packfire
Member # 13601

- posted      Profile for packfire           Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought Origin by Dan Brown, I'm reading it this weekend
Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

Katherine and I are moving through the audiobook version of Oathbringer. I'll have to look up Origin.
FibonacciBits
Member # 13602

- posted      Profile for FibonacciBits   Email FibonacciBits         Edit/Delete Post 
Noob-ish here. Read EG many times, but never anything else by OSC. Yesterday, however, I began reading Speaker for the Dead. It was a bit slow moving for me at first, but I'm very happy I pushed through to the end of the first chapter! I'm now up to Chapter 8. It is very rare that I find myself compelled to read through a fictional series (maintaining motivation beyond the first or second book). For instance, I've read The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, Fellowship of the Ring, and Two Towers multiple times, but never made it through Return of the King (strangely, The Silmarillion may be my most read book).

Other than that, I'm reading various texts on LaTeX (the markup language), Linux, and Operating Systems.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
If you enjoy Silmarillion, you should at least read the appendices of Return of the King.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hawser
Member # 13415

- posted      Profile for hawser           Edit/Delete Post 
No reading for me this month. I hope to start the Games of Thrones next year.
Posts: 116 | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not finding much that interests me lately. [Frown] I keep hoping for a new novel from OSC...
(unless you count technical reading for work [Smile] )

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.