FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Every ______ a _______

Author Topic: Every ______ a _______
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a common grammar construction: Every <blank> a <blank>. Mormons know it well from the phrase "Every member a missionary", but it arises in other contexts as well. The vision statement for my group at work follows this construction, but my boss claims (I think incorrectly) that it requires a mid-phrase comma "Every <blank>, a <blank>".

Thoughts? Pointers to authoritative grammar blogs, FAQs, or rules would be helpful, as would personal opinions, or other examples of the construction or information on what the proper grammatical terminology for that construction is.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.amazon.com/Every-Citizen-Soldier-Williams-Ford-University/dp/1623491460

I don't know how authoritative this is, but I guess theoy wouldn't make mistakes in a book title, plus, it's a quote from Jefferson.

Plus, a quick swipe of google scholar shows no commas. That would be my bet.

Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
"Every man a king." - Huey Long, 1934

The examples I've come across have never included a comma.

And we can narrow <blank> down to nouns.

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the inputs. He relented in the end and allowed that the comma was unnecessary.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I think if you're using it to make the second word rename the first, you don't necessarily need it.

So, the "every member a missionary" is like saying "every member is a missionary" or "make every member a missionary".

But if you're trying to apportion one of the second word to each first word, it feels like you'd need it.

So, "every guest, a meal" is like saying "for every guest, a meal" which is an inversion of "a meal for every guest".

That's in no way authoritative, but I could see where a comma might clarify things depending on usage.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's a name for this specific construction, but it's an example of ellipsis—that is, omission of some words that are understood in context.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.