FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Opinions on the Shadows series (no spoilers please)

Author Topic: Opinions on the Shadows series (no spoilers please)
ZaneHolden
Member # 14256

- posted      Profile for ZaneHolden           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost at the end of "Children of the Mind". I grew up with these books (my step father told me about Ender's Game when I was 12 years old) and they really influenced my of thinking and my perspective in life, I'm a reaaaaly big fan of the series, but I'm afraid to go on. Why? Because my step father (his opions matter to me a lot) told me that they are not as good as the originals and I'm afraid that I'll be disappointed.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Opinions differ, but I wasn't a fan. It's been years since I read any of them, so details blur, but from what I remember the writing overall was a large step down from even the worst of the Ender sequels.

The best written of the lot was the first one, Ender's Shadow, but that was also my least favorite because it was more or less a mirror to Ender's Game and had a lot of retcons, despite being a distinctly inferior book. I wound up feeling like it stole a lot of the charm and gravitas of the original, and wasn't remotely good enough to justify it.

The rest of the shadow series, while not as well written, at least did its own thing.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
The Shadows series is a completely different type of story than the Ender series. It is much more geo-political with people from different nations vying for power.

However, Card's ability to let us inside the heads of his characters to see what they are thinking and why they are thinking it is still very much there.

I enjoyed all of them for different reasons. I don't consider them inferior - just different. Give them a shot!

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackyjoy123
Member # 14501

- posted      Profile for jackyjoy123   Email jackyjoy123         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks my issue has been fixed.

[ January 19, 2021, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: jackyjoy123 ]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.