FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » Shades of Green - Ryuko's 1000th

Author Topic: Shades of Green - Ryuko's 1000th
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Truth be told, I've been waiting to do this almost since I got here, but I promised that I'd wait until I was right here, typing, and hope that I didn't find a dearth of things to say.

Here goes. I was born on June 17th, 1985, at 8:40 am, apparently. My childhood was rather normal, very happy. I guess I had a great life, all in all.

Of course I can say that now, when I'm so far away from that time. Truly, at times I was miserable. I was overweight, (I persist to be so, though I'm more muscle now than then) shy, and eager to please. I was bored in school by the things the teachers were trying to teach us, because I already knew it all. I had difficulties getting along with people, difficulties controlling my own emotions. I was bullied, though I hesitate to call it that, until just after I got into High School.

But when I got into 2nd grade, a new influence was imposed on my life. Before, the people who had made the most impression on my life were my family. I had had friends, but I lost them. In retrospect I'm glad I did, because at that point I met my best friend, who's been part of my life forever since then. I'll call her C.

C and I just clicked. We did and do understand each other possibly better than anyone else. I most seriously have no idea what I'd be doing with my life if it weren't for her. She's much more grounded than I am, much more in contact with the real world. She's one of the major parts of my life up to now, and I hope she'll continue to be.

Despite, and maybe because of, the fact that C and I were so close, I had no other friends worth mentioning, and was often the butt of cruel jokes. Nothing physical, just nasty words, but I put so much emphasis on words that I couldn't deny that it hurt me. I guess I was just an unlikeable person at that time. Quiet, but perhaps a little haughty. I hadn't realized it, but I was distancing myself from people. The bullying got to the point that I couldn't take it anymore, so I decided to make a change.

The wrong one, in retrospect. You see, people made fun of me for being overweight and ugly. Instead of deciding merely that I just didn't care what they thought about me, I decided that it wouldn't hurt if I knew that they were right. It was a stupid decision, and one that I've only recently started to try to overcome. But for me, it was easier to endure their taunts about being fat and ugly when I understood that I was.

Around 10th grade, I started to become uncomfortable around C. She... She was different around me, somehow, and it bothered me. It wormed its way deep inside me, and it seemed as if she was trying to tell me something, but the truth was, I hadn't the capacity to understand. I can't understand much without words. But gradually it became clear to me that she seemed to want more than a friendship.

It scared me, I was confused about myself like all kids were, but I couldn't imagine myself being more than friends with her, and I tried to convey that without stating it explicitly. I was clumsier about things like that at that time.

Partly it was funny, because when she finally told me she was a lesbian, I was actually surprised. To me, it was more important the way she was treating me than what she was or wasn't.

Eventually, though, everything got a whole lot better. I slowly came to be comfortable around her again, and we started again to have that incredible rapport that we share.

Truthfully, that's one of the most major moments of my life. I can't have imagined it would happen, but it was something like a baptism by fire for my most treasured friendship, and I'm glad to say it survived.

It's hard to say exactly who or what I am in words, without oversimplifying, but that's true for everyone and everything. (grin) I have to be seen to be believed.

Perhaps the easiest way to convey who I am is by telling you what I love.

I love words no matter where they're from, because they let me channel my deepest feelings from the places they're hidden or locked away. I love my family, because they know me and they still love me. I love my best friend, because sometimes she understands me measures better than I understand myself, and because sometimes I understand her measures better than she understands herself.

I love the color green, because that's the color I am in my mind's eye. I love the world, because in it I am alive. I love people because they're all so very different. I love the moon and the stars and the cool nights and green grasses and the wind. I love it here because I can try to make myself understood and try to make myself better. I love learning. I love reading. I love creating and dreaming. Sometimes I love to cry. I love to sleep.

Hello Hatrack. My name is Abby. It's nice to meet you.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*sings* It's not easy being green . . .

I had noticed you were getting close to 1000, and was keeping my eyes peeled for a landmark post from you. That was great. Thank you for sharing! [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations and thanks!

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Great post, Ryuko. Happy 1000th! [Smile]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
excellent post
it will take me 90 years to get to 1000

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of Green, too.

Hi. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Honey child, you're gonna pass me up before I know it. Kids grow up so fast these days!

I had a really hard time through most of high school. I got picked on and made fun of a lot. My group of friends interacted mostly by finding innovative ways to make fun of each other, but I always had trouble keeping up so I mostly just made fun of myself. It got to the point where I really did believe myself to be the worst person in the whole world, totally without worth. Getting to that point where self-deprecation becomes self-loathing changes you. It leaves scars that take a long time to heal, if they ever do. I'm doing a lot better now, but I still have self-esteem problems sometimes.

Why am I giving you my life story in your landmark thread? Well, because I like you a lot, and I hate it when I think people are going through that same emotional hell that I went through. Maybe you never really hated yourself, I don't know, and maybe you're better now, but I know that when I was in that phase it would really have helped me to know that there were people out there that liked me. That was eventually the key to the salvation of my self-worth.

There are plenty of people that appreciate you, Abby, and I'm one of them. I've really enjoyed your posts from the start and I think you've really become a part of this community.

Congratulations on 1000, and if I seem a little jealous of your fame and renown when you do your 2000th way before I ever get to mine, don't take it too seriously.

(((((Abby-chan)))))

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love the color green, because that's the color I am in my mind's eye.
This was a very interesting line.

I love all the things you love, too. I'm forever surprised by how many people don't love other people, don't love all the little things that make you feel acutely alive. I think I feel a special bond with people who do. [Smile]

Nice to meet you, Abby.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, my great and worthy opponent.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

(blushes) You're all so kind!

rivka: I'm flattered to know that you've been watching me! (grin) It's rather easy for me to be green, though. I just plain am.

Icarus: Thank you!

Jane: (blushes) Thanks!

Synesthesia: Post on fluff threads, it goes a lot faster then. I can't wait to read yours, so hurry up!!

TAK: [Big Grin]

Saxon: Thank you. It really is wonderful to know that people like me out there. I never hated myself, partly because I find it difficult to hate anyone or anything. Whenever I start, I catch myself and start telling myself all the good things about whatever or whoever I hate. Ever judicious, that's me. I'm glad (inasmuch as I can be glad about such terrible emotional problems [Razz] ) to hear that you've overcome (or are overcoming) your self-hatred. (likes you!!) (loves being called -chan!!)(Hugs you back)

Ralphie: We're like two peas in some sort of pea-enclosure! (happy) It's wonderful to know that I'm not alone in my infinite appreciation of the world. Thank you so much.

Celia: [Wave]

Ryan: Am I really all that great? [Blushing]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shy Violet
Member # 5241

- posted      Profile for Shy Violet   Email Shy Violet         Edit/Delete Post 
Mere smileys cannot express how wicked cool I think you are. But here's a shot. [The Wave] [Party] [Group Hug]
Posts: 33 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Shy Violet is kind of a party animal.

[Smile]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shy Violet
Member # 5241

- posted      Profile for Shy Violet   Email Shy Violet         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy Howdy, I am. Ryuko brings that out in me.
[Smile]

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]

Nice to have ya with us, Abby, aka Ryuko.

You're a clever person, I think, and you are great person. You already are a great addition to hatrack.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
wow. someone wants to read a landmark thread of mine? [Big Grin]
could I post one at 500? i seem to be a person of few words at times.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
filetted
Member # 5048

- posted      Profile for filetted   Email filetted         Edit/Delete Post 
*types on an antiqued-green table surrounded by green walls*

loved your post, ry.

mike

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[tangent]

I can't see this thread title without thinking of the military only hotel at Disney.

[/tangent]

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Great Landmark Post, RyukoAbby! I don't think I've seen your name before, or if I did, I wasn't paying attention. [Big Grin]

I realized a few weeks ago that *I* still haven't given my name either, or if I did, noone was paying attention, because I've had to assert my femininity a few times. So I've decided to wait untill my landmark post. I've also decided to be a not-very-cool person and do it at 500, because I only have two weeks of mostly-untinterrupted hatrack time left before I start college.

Consider this a teaser.
[Laugh] [ROFL] [Taunt]
Consider yourself teased.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

I am teased!

and also.. (shameless bump)

eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, no! I noticed you were getting close too. Stupid Orientation!

What a gorgeous story. Glad to know you Abbey.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you have to go and post that on the ONE day I'm out of town! [Razz]

That was an awesome post, Ryu. I'm glad you've had such support from your family and best friend. [Smile]

We both started posting at around the same time, and you've certainly been an integral part of the Hatrack experience to me ever since.

*narrows eyes* I'm extremely miffed at how you managed to get so many more posts than I have in so short a time. [Mad] [No No]

[Big Grin] *clinks glass of sparkling grape juice* Glad you're here! Here's to another thousand!

Edit: Dang, I forgot to make the ever-annoying T_Smith and Ryuko up-in-a-tree joke. Oh well. *wedgie*

[ August 15, 2003, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: Zotto! ]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Zotto, even I have more posts than you. And Ryuko and I registered at the same time, I never realized that.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
*glowers* [Mad]

[Big Grin] [Wink]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Twinky: [Smile]

Shy Violet: (love)

Kayla: Thank you for making my friend say Boy Howdy.

T_Smith: Thanks. (Grin)

Synesthesia: I'm sure you could if you want to.

Filletted: (grins) We have green in common then. Cool. Thanks, Mike.

Icarus: I had no idea there was an all-military hotel at Disney. You learn something new every day. [Big Grin]

sarcasticmuppet: (Is still teased) (waits)

eslaine: (blushes) Thanks! I'm sure you had more fun at orientation than you had reading my post...

Zotto!: (sips juice) YAY! And yes, I did do my post on that exact day, just so you'd miss it. [Big Grin] I'm evil that way. (in that case it should be [Evil] ) Yay! Integral experience! (feels so cool!) Like I said earlier, just post in fluff threads to get your count up! You could even beat me! Another tip is to start coming once a day and MORE than once a day. (returns wedgie)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.