FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » Kat's 10 000th (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Kat's 10 000th
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
pfffft. Like that'll happen!

(Are you leaving?)

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Such is the current plan. Although I don't know where I'm going yet . . .
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

Maybe you'll move closer to here! And maybe you'll bring Kat, Bob, and DB with you!
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Kat - many hugs.

The tears are okay - because I think they actually mean something is being loosened up - which means healing.

Blessings and congratulations. Thank you for sharing.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
That was boundacious. You and my stories are kind of the same overall, though very different in just about every particular. Coming to a place through a path that you can't believe you took.

By the way, did anything hideous happen to that couple that got married in the Eiffel Tower? Or do I need to burn more newt eyes?

(((tackle)))
Tricia

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
we watched some horrible movie the guys picked out about spatulas and a cable station
UHF!! (Someone was bound to bring it up sooner or later.)

Seriously, though, in true landmark fashion, you gave us a beautiful look at many of the people and experiences that make you who you are. I've never met you, but you're officially on my list of Hatrackers I'd love to encounter face to face. Until then, don't be a stanger. Keep living and keep sharing.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
This is bound to be one of the most memorable landmarks simply because of our special assignment to use an ordinary word in all of our responses. I love it!!

Dearest Katie,

I've read so many of these 10,000 posts of yours from the sidelines, usually in awe of your ability to debate, converse, argue and bring in the funny. I feel like I know you personally, though you probably didn't know I was noticing so much. I've noticed that you're an amazing person. And I've noticed that you're well loved. I hope you've noticed this as well.

Thank you for your landmark post. It will be an important part of our community history...and the history is better because you're in it.

(((Katie)))

~Cecily~

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
In your honor, Kat, I'm putting one of your sexy WenchCon pictures up as my wallpaper.

Okay, you got me--it's been up for a week, but now I have an excuse.

Great landmark. Makes me want to hop the next Texas-bound train to give you a hug.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how to express what I want to say, other than a hug.
(Kat)
It was bound to happen sooner than later.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryoko
Member # 4947

- posted      Profile for Ryoko   Email Ryoko         Edit/Delete Post 
Bound....James Bound

[Smile]

I enjoyed your post very much.

Posts: 194 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
I almost never post in landmark threads, but I read them all (yes, in their entirety [Razz] ). Thank you for this chance to get to know you better.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, have we told you how much we aappreciate your honesty?
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but we're bound to do so now...

----

This is the last post I can make for a week or so, but this is definitely the best place to put it. I'm glad you finally did your landmark, and I'm very glad to have read it.

[Kiss]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Katie,

I really enjoyed meeting you this past year. I figure you're bound to make it out here again; can't wait for it.

Some people live with the weight of the world on their shoulders. So often we carry this weight through no fault of our own. I hope you are not carrying a lot of guilt around, but it sounds like you are. I hope that you find a way to lay this burden down, because you don't deserve it. Barring that, maybe you can let some of us help you carry it.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't usually read these things, but this time I'm really glad I did. It's these really good ones that make me feel obligated to do one myself at some point.

And what's with this bound thing (notice I used obligated in the post proper, but still incorporated the word bound anyway because I'm a sucker)?

[ January 27, 2004, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: jehovoid ]

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
((((((((((Kat))))))))))
Thanks for sharing. Each grief is different, so I won't tell I know how you feel or felt, that would be ridiculous. But I feel closer to you.
[Group Hug]
And congrats for 10 000 !
[The Wave]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs everyone*

Oh, thank you guys. I'm feel a little sheepish for how hesitant I was to post this. I should have known Hatrack's response. Thank you so much.

A few things:

1. For those who were offended, sorry about the word thing. It was just in the middle of typing something almost heavy, and it was time for a joke, and that's unfortunately the one that came to mind. It occurred to me a few days ago what a cool word it was, and I wondered all the different ways to use it. Hatrack: Better than a dictionary!

2. Noemon and saxon: *hug* I did have a lot of guilt for a long time. I know there is such thing as survivor's guilt, and it's natural. Unfortunately, I had more than abundant empirical evidence to point out that mine was actually warranted. The net effect was to swear to be a better daughter to the parent I had left, which now included listening and obeying, which for the first 20 years I had never felt a need. I didn't actually inform my dad of this resolution, though, so he was doing his usual dictating fully expecting it to be as fruitless as usual, and I was trying to follow and being miserable because I was trying to be so good, but I was living someone else's life and it didn't fit. Thankfully, I dropped that a couple of years ago when I got an order to stop dating someone. It offended me to the core (and, considering his own history, smacked of more than a little hypocrisy.) I remember - it was a "Okay, I'm done. I did my best." moment. Have to grow up sometime. I'm a lot happier now.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

I wasn't really offended. I meant all the good things I said, and I hope the bound comment wasn't all that you got out of my post. I just know that those of us who have been beaten up a bit by life have a hard time taking people and things at face value, and always feel the need to test everything. If I am simply projecting my own issues on to you, then I humbly apologize. In any case, I wasn't so much offended as refusing to play the game out of a desire for you to simply accept my good wishes on face value. Hmm . . . I'm not quite expressing myself how I want to. Not that I think you would have not believed me, but that, for instance, I have a tendency of waiting for the other shoe to fall when people compliment me. A lesson I need to learn is to accept kindness and compliments without making excuses for them (Of course people would post nice thoughts in my landmark post; you noticed my weight loss? I must have really been fat before; okay, when do you get to the "but" part of your compliment?) I thought I might be seeing in you the same tendency I have seen in myself.

AnywayIhavetorunrightnowstudentsarecomingin i'llseeificanmakeitmakesenselater . . .

katharina
Member # 827

Some responses... I wanted to thank everyone, and I appreciate greatly the comments of everone. I'm addressing below those that requested or piqued a specific response, but I read every one. It means a lot to me.

Icarus: I felt the sincerity behind your response: no worries. I was worried for a moment that some would think I was testing people - not at all. At least, not conciously.

I did have disclaimers at the beginning and some belligerence at the end that I removed once I realized I didn't the protections, so I understand the impulse. [Wink]

Bob: Thank you for that. I'm told from very reliable sources - Slash and Olivia - that I'm, um, nicer in person than online. I'm taking that as an ompliment.

afr: Kelli Cargile Cook is a killer teacher, isn't she? Tell her hello for me! I'll need her to write me some more recommendations soon.

Taal: [Blushing] That last monday was an incredibly good day. Thank you for it. [Smile]

unicornwhisperer: You know what, I can't remember! I can't remember finding Hatrack! It just wasn't a big deal then. If it helps, I can't remember learning to read, either. I forget birthdays and anniverseries, too. *hangs head in shame*

Ophelia: We totally need to play in Houston. Maybe the last weekend in February? Will that work? I'll send an e-mail.

[ January 27, 2004, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bob: Thank you for that. I'm told from very reliable sources - Slash and Olivia - that I'm, um, nicer in person than online. I'm taking that as an ompliment.

It was a compliment. Badly worded, of course, but a compliment nonetheless.

[Big Grin]

And it was also an ompliment -- hmm...must be some sort of omnipotent compliment. [Big Grin]

(I'm also impressed that you made a typo and managed to change to the appropriate article from a to an). LOL!!!

[Big Grin]

By the way, I'm going to be away the last weekend in February, so I can't come and play with you and Ophelia in Houston. But I would like to!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
That has to be the most beautiful thing I've ever read on Hatrack. I'm sorry you had to go through the pain of losing your mom so earlier for such unnatural causes. I hope the rest of your life and the life that you mentioned you didn't mention will be and has been more cheerful. No, I don't hope; it's bound to be better.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Smile] Yeah, Banna called foul on leaving off the narrative before we got to present life, but heck, this was scary enough. [Eek!]

-------
Bob, when's a good time for you? February's sort of full - maybe March? [Smile] That would be awesome!

[ January 27, 2004, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs kat back*

The thing is, kat, there is no way that you could have predicted that the things you did would have led to what happened; the decision to drive her to the hopsiptal was a reasonable one, and really, so was the decision to just hurry up and go, and not bother looking for the cell phone. It was tragic, but not your fault. Really. At all. I can understand blaming yourself; were I in your shoes, I'd probably blame myself, but from the perspective of an outside observer, I can tell you that from what you've described, you really are blameless.

Oh, and by the way, [Hat] for the interforum humor. Maybe we can start a meme!

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, basically, the way my schedule works, you're better off picking a date/time and as it approaches I'll see if I'm in TX that week/weekend or not.

It's crazy, but I've been called away on 1 day's notice 3x in the last 2 months.

But, yes, March currently doesn't suck.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
wowzer, Kat, that was a wonderful post! And well, well worth the wait.

It burst the boundaries of the landmark tradition. [Smile] Thanks so much for taking the time to put it down into words and for the courage it took to post it. Stuff that close to the heart is tough to share.

*major hugs* I still like to think of you as a long lost sister I haven't met yet.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
March is better for me, too, I think. (The last weekend in February is the beginning of spring break, but I should be back from whatever I decide to do by the 7th at the latest.) It's a busy month, but if you pick a day I'll see if I can work with it.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I told you on Friday night at WenchCon, and here goes again.... YOu really, really are NOT to blame for her death. Promise.

I know it may feel like an easy thing for me to say, just to make you feel better, but it really is a no-brainer. Your emotional reality may be different, but the fact is it would have happened anyway. Your actions didn't change that at all. Everyone can see that but you, and my prayer for you is that you will see it as clearly as we can. (((Kate)))

Oh, and stupid Sam! His loss, though. [Wink]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
*Gives Kat a hug*

[Smile]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*hugs*

I know it's not my fault, so to speak.

------

Eh, the thing with Sam is fine. I mean, he was wife-hunting hard-core, and I don't think I was ready anyway. Plus, not my type. [Razz]

[ January 28, 2004, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, you are a credit to your mother in every way.
Are we still doing the bound thing?

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taberah
Member # 4014

- posted      Profile for Taberah           Edit/Delete Post 
"The world breaks every one, and afterwards many are strong at the broken places."
-A Farewell to Arms

Kate, in case I did not express it fully enough before, it was a great pleasure to actually meet you in person. I did not know then what you have come through; and now I'm left wondering if knowing your past would have in some way obscured my view of the present. (A relationship version of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, if you will.) Either way, I'll take what I can get. I would not have you be anyone other than who you are, and I hope for more opportunities to discover who that person is. If I get a chance I'll send you an email or a letter soon.

Posts: 224 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
katharina, love, I swear this to you: if she were that fragile, the end was very very near. If worrying over you that weekend pushed her over the edge, then she was already 99/100ths of the way over. If minutes made the difference, they made the difference in terms of hours or at most days, not weeks or months. I swear it. And that's a word I never, ever use lightly.

Much love to you, my sister.

quote:
It works with people too, you know.
Bound to be right there, dude. [Smile]

[ January 30, 2004, 02:53 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*rereads thread*

*hugs everyone* Thanks, y'all. [Smile] This is so cool.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.