FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show » IGMS #23-- The Discriminating Monster's Guide to the Perils of Princess Snatching

Author Topic: IGMS #23-- The Discriminating Monster's Guide to the Perils of Princess Snatching
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Back in 2008, an editor had infuriated some in the speculative fiction community for publishing an anthology that claimed to be something along the lines of 'Best of the BESTEST SF EVAR!!!!11' and had not included any female authors. I don't recall participating in the internet furor that ensued, but the arguments got me thinking about the great gender disparity present in fairy tales.

Are princesses really that much tastier than princes? Sugar and spice vs. puppy dog tails…really? What if it were true?

Link to the complete write-up...
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, my family makes the French Toast Casserole without the praline topping, and it's still delicious. (This because my wife doesn't like pecans...alas! The kids and I like it just fine.)
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

A while back, I said I was no good with titles.

Discriminating Monster, to date, is my favorite title ever. It's gone through a transformation: originally, it was titled simply 'A Discriminating Monster.' For a long time, it was 'A Discriminating Monster's Guide to Princess Snatching,' and that was the title I sold it under to IGMS. By the time I'd finished writing the story, the title didn't quite fit the story; Ed and I talked about it a bit; here are some of the titles we brainstormed:

Spoiler alert in some of these...

Princess Snatching
Monster Snatching Princess
Monster
Princess Snatching and Other Paths To Ruination
Tall As God, Ugly As Satan
Princess Snatcher, Trickster Queen
Monster's Bargain
Princess, Monster, Prince
How I Killed My Boss, Lost My Family, and Became a Thug for a Magical Princess
Trickster Queen

We'd settled on The Princess Snatcher and The Trickster Queen. Then Kathleen Bellamy said that she liked original title so much, and did we have to dump it all? She suggested The Discriminating Monster's Guide to the Perils of Princess Snatching. For me, it clicked.

Actually, when I reviewed my notes from when I started the story, I got an even bigger kick out of it-- Mercedes' name was originally supposed to be Peril. [Smile]

Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like "How I Killed My Boss, Lost My Family, and Became a Thug for Magical Princess." Has a nice ring to it!
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

[Smile]

It gives a bit too much away. I think when I offered that one, I was running on 3 hours sleep, no food, and was half insane.

Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah,it gives away too much, but it has such a nice meter.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Www.podcastle.org has performed the audio version of this.

Go! Listen! Enjoy!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.