Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Uncle Orson On the Fly » Sanderson

Author Topic: Sanderson
Rob
Member # 13069

- posted      Profile for Rob           Edit/Delete Post 
I've read all the Sanderson I could get my hands on and none of it has been disappointing. If anyone reads Way of Kings and Words of Radiance and finds it hard to wait for more, check out the re-reads on tor.com for in depth discussions, analysis and prognostications: http://www.tor.com/features/series/the-stormlight-archive

The Words of Radiance re-read is in progress, one chapter (maybe two) a week and it's currently on chapter 3.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the Mystborn saga and enjoyed it, and I have the audio book for WoK but I didn't quite get into it after a few chapters. I'm finishing up The Name of the Wind on audio book (HIGHLY recommend) and then I will return to it.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vineyarddawg
Member # 13007

- posted      Profile for vineyarddawg           Edit/Delete Post 
Sanderson is quickly becoming my favorite author. I hadn't even heard of him before someone suggested Elantris to me (his first non-WoT novel), and I really enjoyed it. I jumped right to the Stormlight Archive books, and now I'm going back and reading some of his other works (currently Warbreaker).

His slow-burn style can be frustrating to some people (and, at times, is to me, as well), but he really knows how to pay off the buildup at the end of the book. It's also worth noting that I apparently started with some of the "slow-burniest" books he's written (or so I've been told). Warbreaker definitely doesn't start off as slowly as WoK or Elantris.

Posts: 124 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah the slow burn style definitely grates on me a bit. I like things to always be popping.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vineyarddawg
Member # 13007

- posted      Profile for vineyarddawg           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Yeah the slow burn style definitely grates on me a bit. I like things to always be popping.

Yeah, I very nearly put down WoK after about 20% of the book, then nearly put it down again about halfway in. By the time I got to the end, though, I was very glad I didn't. WoR isn't nearly as slow, though, since you already know the basics of the world and are already invested in pretty much all of the main characters (or, enough to keep my interest, anyway).
Posts: 124 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.