FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Uncle Orson On the Fly » Girls' Books, Old Loves

Author Topic: Girls' Books, Old Loves
vineyarddawg
Member # 13007

- posted      Profile for vineyarddawg           Edit/Delete Post 
Though this was merely a tangential comment in his remarks, not the main point, I wanted to point out that I agree with him about the Alvin Maker series. It's even better than the Enderverse. Such a great combination of Alternate History and fantasy.

The magic system(s) in Alvin's world might be the best that OSC has come up with in any of his non-Ender series. (Specifically, I'm thinking of the Gate Thief and Pathfinder trilogies.)

Posts: 124 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millernumber1
Member # 9894

- posted      Profile for millernumber1   Email millernumber1         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, I've never gotten that deeply into the Alvin Maker series. I've read the first book, The Crystal City, and The Yazoo Queen, and while they were fun, none of the characters, worldbuilding, or things going on in general really spoke to me as much as Ender, Bean, the Formics, Miro, Jane, etc. I like the idea okay, but the heart didn't beat for me. Ah, well. (Also, my favorite non-Ender OSC book is definitely Enchantment. [Smile]
Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.