FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Uncle Orson On the Fly » Holmes and Mission: Impossible

Author Topic: Holmes and Mission: Impossible
millernumber1
Member # 9894

- posted      Profile for millernumber1   Email millernumber1         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually saw Mr. Holmes before Mission: Impossible 5. Funnily enough, I agreed with OSC much more on the latter than the former. For one, I firmly believe that the best Sherlock Holmes that has ever been filmed was played by Jeremy Brett. I say this as an ardent Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu fan, and mean no slight to Elementary, which is my current favorite show on television, but Brett and his two Watsons, played by David Burke and Edward Hardwicke, have not yet been eclipsed. McKellan is very fine, but I think he's hampered by a script and director who fundamentally reject what I think is vital and true about the character of Sherlock Holmes - that for all his limitations, his approach to the world by reason, imagination, and justice is a worthwhile one. Both the film Mr. Holmes and the novel it's based on think that Holmes's worldview is not worthwhile, and must be subverted or rejected.

That being said, I always enjoy OSC's reviews, even when I disagree. And I think, despite his sad lack of mention of Rebecca Ferguson's excellent performance and interestingly written character (much more interesting than anything in the fourth Mission: Impossible film), he was spot on the money. And I would strongly recommend OSC (and anyone else) check out Cruise and McQuarrie's collaboration on Jack Reacher, which is a really fine film.

Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug64
Member # 13148

- posted      Profile for Doug64           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Jeremy Brett will always be THE Sherlock Holmes for me, that was a magnificent series.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.