Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Suggested Reading

Author Topic: Suggested Reading
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Would there be any way to have a board for suggested reading? We can always post it here, true, but the ones that are suggested in other threads tend to get lost. If there was a board dedicated to that it would be easy to see what people are suggesting, and easier to find when a particular thread is outdated. People could post the title in the "Subject" line and others could add comments in the thread.

Susan, who is looking for some good reading material!

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ambongan
Member # 2122

- posted      Profile for ambongan           Edit/Delete Post 
We can turn this into a thread for that.

"Galatea in 2-D" by Aaron Allston

Posts: 79 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
War and Peace
Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Man that's a tough question. There are so many great ones to choose from.

Certainly "David Copperfield" for pure entertainment.

"Lord of the Flies" for symbolic social commentary at its finest.

Any of Henry James' ghost stories to see psychological story-telling done by a master. I especially suggest "The Jolly Corner," "The Turn of the Screw," and "The Beast in the Jungle," although that last one isn't a ghost story.

Okay, I'll stop there.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Animal Farm by Orwell and A Catcher In The Rye and To Kill A Mockingbird, oh and don't forget Of Mice and Men.

Now if you like other genres look to Heinlien for Sci-fi, Stephen King for horror (I'd personally suggest Firestarter), and Dean Koontz for thrillers and suspense.

Just a few that I've come up with off the top of my head.

-Bryan-

[This message has been edited by Monolith (edited August 15, 2004).]

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen King's Dark Tower series: The Gunslinger, Drawing of the Three, The Wastelands, Wizard and Glass, Wolves of the Calla, and Song of Susannah....as well as the last book, which I think comes out in September.

It's truly phenomenal.

Also, Neuromancer, by William Gibson. And the Children of Men, by PD James. Wow, I could go on forever. But I'll stop now. After I mention Dune, by Frank Herbert. And Ella Minnow Pea, by Mark Dunn.

I'm finished now. I promise.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Looks like I have some catching up to do if I want consider myself an equal around here. Kinda looking forward to it, truthfully.

On topic, the first book that comes readily to mind is Wildside by Stephen Gould. It was his first and IMO, best book.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll just list authors and sometimes books, if that's okay:

William Gibson (already mentioned)

Clive Barker's Weaveworld

Douglas Adams (absolutely required reading)

OSC (of course)

J.K. Rowling (for how to write stories that children and adults will enjoy equally well)

Stephen King & Peter Straub The Talisman

Harry Turtledove (World War series)

Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men

H.G. Wells

Other books (and I forget the authors, sorry)

Charlotte's Web (for effective and powerful Children's stories)

Watership Down (made me cry when I was a kid)

Every SF/F anthology you can get your hands on...

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Some good writing books:

Elements of Style Strunk & White
Eats Shoots and Leaves (for punctuation)
Immediate Fiction by Jerry Cleaver
How to Write Killer Fiction by Carolyn Wheat
Telling Lies for Fun and Profit by Lawrence Block

Fiction
Anything in the Fairy Tale Series edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling
The Sun the Moon and the Stars by Steven Brust as an excellent 1st person POV example.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited August 16, 2004).]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

I should probably include some speculative fiction titles. Here are my personal favorites:

NOVELS:

Science Fiction -- BRAVE NEW WORLD by Huxley
Heroic Fantasy -- THE LORD OF THE RINGS by Tolkien
Contemporary Fantasy -- BOY'S LIFE by Robert R. McCammon
Horror -- THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE by Jackson

SHORT FICTION:

Literature -- "Parker's Back" by Flannery O'Connor
Science Fiction -- "Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes
Horror -- "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Oky,

Scifi- Farenheight 451 (Ray Bradbury, also look up his short stories)

Fantasy- Dragonlance (The Weise and Hickman ones, also I hear the 'Ledgend of Huma' is good. I also recommend 'the Seige of MT. Nevermind'. But be careful, I think the Dragonlance world has the most novels written about it, It can be psycotic trying to read them all.)

That's all I can think of that hasn't been said.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try to avoid repeats, but I love several of the authors and books listed above... If I don't list books, there are too many to list!

C. S. Lewis - Chronicles of Narnia
Lloyd Alexander - Chronicles of Prydain
Ursula K. LeGuin - The Earthsea books
Andre Norton
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Anne McCaffrey
Mercedes Lackey
Leo Frankowski - Adventures of Conrad Stargard (The Cross-Time Engineer series)
Piers Anthony (The Apprentice Adept series, Incarnations of Immortality series, Xanth series)
David Eddings (The Belgariad series)
Stephen R. Donaldson (The Mirror of Her Dreams, A Man Rides Through; NOT NOT NOT the White Gold Wielder books)
Elizabeth Ann Scarborough (the Godmother books)
Robert Asprin (Phule books - 1st 2 or 3, Myth books - all)

Authors I am finally getting to and enjoying (I met them both at Balticon):
Lois McMaster Bujold (the Vorkosigan books)
Catherine Asaro (Primary Inversion, Catch the Lightning which I read in a day - didn't sleep much - these are in her Skolian Empire set of books)

Ok, I know I could go on. What scares me is there is so much that is good out there, stuff I have yet to get to... How in heck am I going to get this good? Good enough for anyone to want my book (um, did I say the "b" word? I won't censor what I wrote, but uh oh), when they can read one of THESE? The mere fact that I have had to cut back on my reading to do my own writing is amazing, and just at the time when I'm discovering more and more books to read.

I think I need to play the lottery...

Whoops - left off:
C.S. Forester - The Hornblower books
Francis Hodgson Burnett (The Secret Garden, Little Princess)
and even more.

[This message has been edited by punahougirl84 (edited August 16, 2004).]

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

I too have felt a great deal of anxiety whenever I think about how much I haven't read. But a college professor once told me this: "Just think instead, you'll never run out of anything good to read."

That doesn't help all of the time, but it helps most of the time.

shadowynd
Member # 2077

Many of these suggestions are older, classic books. How about more modern spec fic/sci fi/fantasy?

And yes, thanks for the suggestions thus far!!

Susan

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norman Juster.

Anything by Roger Zelazny, particularly the Amber series and Lord of Light. (Zelazny is a wonderful writer and storyteller, except that he has a tendency towards weak endings.)

The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov (underappreciated--his best standalone novel and, I think, his best, period)

Have Space Suit Will Travel by Robert Heinlein (his best YA book)
The Puppet Masters and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by RH (his best adult books)

A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (does wonderfully what nothing but SF can do)

Startide Rising by David Brin (a really good look at a galactic setup where all the aliens are really far advanced over us)

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett (historical fiction, not his usual thriller)

The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge (and sequels World's End, which is not so great, but small, and The Summer Queen which is better [I think] than the original Hugo-winning novel)

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (The first time I read this, I thought I was going to hate it for the first 2 or 3 pages. I was so wrong)

Anything by Louis Sachar (except I'm not wild about the "Wayside school" books. They're ok, and silly, but they don't compare to his other stuff.)

Way Station by Clifford Simak (Hugo winner, a quiet sensitive book)

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin (This is another where I thought I wouldn't like it at first, and for good reason, but it's worth revisiting repeatedly)

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick (One of the earliest and best alternate history novels)

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells (his first and best book, but not the only one worth reading. I can't think of a singe general SF category that didn't have an entry by this man)

I'll stop here. But I've got more. I tried not to mention anything listed in previous posts, sorry if I duplicated anything. I also especially looked for things that might be less familiar, but for the most part I see I've got a bunch of award winners and near-winners. Oh, well.

Oh, and Shadowynd, probably the main reason that most of the books mentioned are older is simply that past time encompasses a much longer period than present time. There simply isn't as much good stuff that's been written in the last five years (say) as in the previous fifty or two hundred or whatever. But if you're looking for something really new, try:

Graycloak, by Rick Fisher (Title subject to change)

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

ROFL!!!!! Very well, fisher-with-rick, give me 3 days then please to send me GrayCloak by Rick Fisher (author subject to fame-- we hope!)

Thanks for sending me to bed with a smile! N'nite, all!

Susan

JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
Running with the Demon (and sequels)- Terry Brooks

Red Dwarf- Grant Naylor

Everything written by- Dumas

Les Miserables- Victor Hugo

David Copperfield- Dickens (Loved to HAVE read it, didn't love to read it, but it kept those pages turnin')

Good Omens- Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

Wheel of Time- Robert Jordan

Starship . . . nevermind

Timeline and Sphere- Michael Crichton

The Redemption of Althalus- David and Leah Eddings

Battle Circle- Piers Anthony

A Clockwork Orange- Anthony Burgess

The Witching Hour- Anne Rice

Art of War- Sun Tzu

The Way of the Samurai (Hage Kure)

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
Modern spec fic?

I liked the following:

* David & Leigh Eddings - The Redemption of Althalus (although I know a lot of people don't like it... I bought my copy from a remaindering shop)
* Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen - Wheelers (OK, so the authors are both lecturers from my old university, but its still a good book)
* Robert Harris - Fatherland (an alternative history detective novel, a few years old now, worth a read)

I've heard good things about S. L. Viehl's Stardoc series, although I haven't read any yet, but I've read the short stories on her web site ( http://www.sff.net/people/slviehl/ ) which are pretty good.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
You might also look at the lists of sf award winners (includes f, horror) at the Locus site:

http://www.locusmag.com/SFAwards/index.html

That could help you with finding more recent books. Or, look up a living author at borders.com and check copyrights - or go to their websites to find their newest work.

Or, hit the library and check the new book shelves, or hit the bookstore and check out the new book tables.

I bet a lot of us are catching up on reading too - things we've meant to read but hadn't yet managed due to sheer volume.

Thanks Balthasar, btw - I think I'll make that a sticky note - an optimistic viewpoint is what I need right now!

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I will second JB Shearer on the Terry Brooks - Running with the Demon Series. It is a great inventive story. Probably his best work IMO, set in modern times. It is my favorite!

I will also throw a plug out for Weiss and Hickman's, The Death Gate Cycle. Way better than any Dragonlance novel. This one is more grown-up and is not set in a specific D&D setting. Some of the best world building I have ever read.

Last year, I read John Grisham's, A Painted House. And I highly recommend it. It isn't Fantasy or Sci-Fi, just a good standard fiction story.

I also recommend a book by Michael Malone, called Handling Sin, it is good Humor fiction. Some things will make you laugh out loud.

I won't recommend any Horror at this time, I haven't found any that intrigue me enough. If I read a Horror novel I want to be scared. Vampires and the like just don't turn me on, and a slasher doesn't do it either. I am still looking for a good Horror book. I wouldn't mind writing one myself someday. Perhaps dealing with insanity or something like that.

There are others I could mention, but that is enough for now. Looks like you have quite a list to choose from.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to talk about Weis and Hickman, I'd say Darksword is better than Deathgate AND Dragonlance.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Hi, it's me again...

I forgot to mention Stations of the Tide, by Michael Swanwick, most stuff by Neil Gaiman [I particularly was a fan of Good Omens (w/Terry Pratchett), Neverwhere, and his Sandman series (which are graphic novels but still absolutely incredible!) ], and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard (it's a play).

I reserve the right to add still more.

autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some really great ones that have not yet been mentioned.

(question: how do you do italics or underlines on these posts?)

One of my new favorite SF authors is Kage Baker. Anything by her is awesome. Want a short, satirical comedy? Read Empress of Mars. But to really get into her, you gotta read her Company novels. Start with Garden of Iden.

For fantasy, there is no one better in my opinion than Robin McKinley. She hasn't written too much, and some of it is YA, but I highly recommend anything by her. My favorite is Deerskin, and another really good one is Rose Daughter.

If you like mystery but prefer it to be rather tongue-in-cheek, read the Ellie Haskell mystery series by Dorothy Cannell. Start with The Thin Woman. Picture Erma Bombeck writing mystery, and you're close.

For something rather lyrical yet deeply disturbing, try Waking Beauty by Paul Witcover, or Black Wine by Candas Jane Dorsey.

Another good SF writer is Sheri Tepper. I recommend Grass, but she has others which are good as well.

I could go on and on, but those are some of my personal favorites.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Connie Willis -- Passage, Doomsday Book, To Say Nothing About the Dog

Robin McKinley -- Hero and the Crown, The Blue Sword, Sunshine, Beauty

Anne McCafferty -- The first Pern Trilogy, the Harper Hall Trilogy

And my Vote for Hickman & Wise Favorite is the Rose of the Prophet Series.

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited August 18, 2004).]

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, if forgot--

Peter Pan by James Barrie (This is a great book, folks, and wonderfully written. Don't let the movies fool you. Even the good ones are no match for the original.)

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Oh yeah, and Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton.
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Ran across this site while searching for reading lists for my 12-year-old.

It's a list provided by the Gotham Writer's Workshop and gives books that exemplify excellence (or lack of it) of various themes, such as Characterization, Plot/Structure, Point of View, Setting, Dialogue, etc.

For instance, Mr. Munsill, it lists The Sun Also Rises (Hemingway) and A Severed Head (Iris Murdoch) as novels that handle a large cast of characters well.

http://www.writingclasses.com/writersnetwork/readinglists/index.html

Didn't find a good list for my 12-year-old. I'm just too stuffy, I suppose. I'm not all that interested in her reading books rife with sex and foul language. There just isn't much out there to feel safe about in this in-between-juvenile-and-young-adult stage.

Any suggestions there? Particularly in the classics range? The must-reads in order to have a well-rounded literary education?

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited August 23, 2004).]

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
"My Teacher flunked the Planet" by Bruce Coville, I read it one night while trying to fall asleep at 16, (back when I belived that reading was boring.) It was a dang deep book even though it was written for the younger. I didn't care for it's predicessor though. (But I was 10 when I read that one.)
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.