Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » User Names?

Author Topic: User Names?
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
i just thought to myself, how do people come up with such intersting User Names?

my user name Rommel Fenrir Wolf II my friends in FLA gave me.

Rommel from the German General of WWII.

Fenrir i dont realy reamber how i got that one.

Wolf is from my Werewolf Self

II means i am the 2nd Emperor of the Imperial Hegemonic Empire

Reason for asking people who Know me but not my friends always ask of this.
and i was wondering of all of yours.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
You ought to google "Fenrir" sometime. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Hunter Godfrey here...

Been using HuntGod since my first email account back in the early 90's.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll have to blame my parents for my name.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArachneWeave
Member # 5469

- posted      Profile for ArachneWeave   Email ArachneWeave         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a spinner of wool and more metaphorical yarns. Also, I'm a Spidey fan. So Arachne (weaver who bested a goddess and was turned too the the Spider); and Weave because they sound good together.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
ON prodigy classic, I was nbfb45a. During the time, I heard about problems of people using handles instead of real names. My first AOL address was rstegman, and I have used that ever since on every service I have used. My name is Roger Stegman, so rstegman is natural.
Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I am destiny
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
In my book the literal character "Destiny" controls and manipulates my MC and other characters throughout out the seven books. I decided that I am the ultimate destiny for my books. I talk of her dealing the cards with pleasure as my char, deal with trials and good things.

~Destiny

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I stole mine from a friend in Junior High - he was starting fights in a chatroom we all frequented (Chatalyst, anyone?) and I always liked the name.

For those who care about such things, it is pronounced with a long E at the end, but not so long and pronounced as the ending of Wolfie sounds. And, my real name is

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DLDzioba
Member # 5657

- posted      Profile for DLDzioba           Edit/Delete Post 
It's my pen name and based of of my real name. It's my first initial (Dominique for the curious) and the initial of my first middle name (I've got two, L is for Lisette) and my last name.
I plan on keeping the pen name even if/when I marry.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
and I'm just me. One of the fun things about people having user names is that sometimes I am really surprised to find out so-and-so is a woman, when I thought she was a guy, or vice versa. Stereotypes. Usernames give us a chance to look at people differently. But I am getting a real kick out of how everyone gets theirs. I bet there's a story in there somewhere.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Been using "Spaceman" since 1984 on bitnet. (Yeah, that's my knee creaking. Whatever happened to the dial-up BBS and the DOS prompt?)
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Whatever happened to the dial-up BBS and the DOS prompt?

It was deemed too efficient and was eliminated in Vista.

Windows bringing you inefficient programming since 1985.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
And yes Lust is my real last name.
Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes i know who Fenrir is i just dont reamber why they started calling me it.

overall quite interesting. keep them comming.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

PS:

Yes there might be a story in here some where. but where only the god of writing knows.

and if anyone was wondering I am a Male, Tango Mike.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
I got mine from the title of one of my son's HIM CD's. Darklight.

I'm not really into the music (its classed as Love Metal - whatever that's all about) but the name fascianted me and I've used it now in various places for the last year or so.

Louise

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found the "hidden identity" mystique of online posting more than a little puzzling---especially among a community of writers. For some reason, I've wanted acknowledgment of what I've been doing, good-bad-or-indifferent, and, somehow, posting under an assumed name doesn't seem like a good way to get it. The same applies to pseudonyms---I've contemplated names, but I've only sent, like, one thing out under a name that wasn't mine.

Surely we all have egos, that need stroking of some kind...don't we?

(The mania seems to be creeping into other aspects of life. In a lot of TV shows of late, I've noticed credits to what might be some kind of "handle." The credits of "Everybody Loves Raymond" list somebody as "the Hawk"---and it's surely not a name given by parents...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Look at it another way: if we do get published, at least our flops won't be atributed to us!

The only problem its caused me is many have assumed I'm a he not a she. But that seems to be a problem that I get in the real world too

Louise.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
<--tag. License to babble incoherently, as I often do, and a tell in my poker face:

Hopefully, this is -- in all actuality -- an antonym, though it may be an effectual definition on some days.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree writers should always use their real names in print, or, like Cordwainer Smith, pick a name and stick to it. In tv or movies, though, when your name may get lost in the credit crawl, something like "the Hawk" stands out. A lot of the people who work behind the scenes in film use a epithet, such as John (Hot Lips) Smith, to make there names stand out from the dozens of other names that surround theirs.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II is fine provided you use that name when you submit your stories for publication. An example of a current writer whose name made his reputation: Uncle River.

[This message has been edited by Rick Norwood (edited July 04, 2007).]

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

gah, darklight, you're absolutely right, I thought you were a he! Now I'm going to have to go back and read a bunch of your old posts and see exactly where in my head i got THAT stupid idea. DOH! I hate when I do that. You know, it's amazing to me how I accumulate all these really extensive pictures in my head of everybody based on very little info.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, just something I made up from juggling names in my extended family. I wouldn't mind using it as a pen name if it were a result of me becoming notorious (positive sense) here.

I've thought some about pen names, mainly because in a perfect world, I hope to write in different genres; and there's a line if reasoning that says that situation might be a good time to use a pen name.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
Its what they used to call me when I was in Petawawa - Its the first letter of my first name and I am a man...its a far cry from my older ones, Swampfox, BigRed, Rusty..etc
Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

I've been kicking around pen names, thinking that I might want to separate out professional writing in my field from fiction writing. Haven't decided anything. Figured if someone is ready to publish me, they might have something pertinent to say.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

what if i was changing my name to Rommel Fenrir Wolf II.? would that work?
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

One problem with using a "Party name" here---if you do go out and publish a novel, how will we be able to go out and buy it if we only know you by what you post under?
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
I use my real name when posting to professional writing boards. I use "ArtsyLynda" when posting to art boards (I'm a professional sculptor). I use "Abraxan" (a gigantic palomino winged horse, one of those that pull the Beauxbatons carriage in "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire") in my fanfic posts. I LOVE the word "Abraxan" for some reason. If JK Rowling hadn't invented it, I'd use it as a pen name or something. I know the word "abraxas" is a real word, but it doesn't hit me as well as "Abraxan."

The fun thing about using "Abraxan" in my fanfic is that a LOT of my readers think I'm a man. And a lot of them think I am or have been in the military, based on my battle scenes, which pleases me greatly since the only warfare I've seen is on TV or in films or books. But my hubby and son-in-law both know a lot about the defense industry, so I hear about it a lot. That must be how my battle scenes turned out as well as they did. All my bios say I'm a middle-aged married woman living on a farm in Ohio, yet I still get e's to "Mr. Abraxan" or mentions as "he" in posts sometimes. LOL!

Lynda, whose "real" published works will have her real name - Lynda Sappington

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tigertinite
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for tigertinite   Email tigertinite         Edit/Delete Post 
My username is actually from my writing, an Alien race that meddles in other people's business. Very appropriate for a literary crit site, or so I thought.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is a morph from my old one Pyro Foxx. Pyre is just a deriviative and Foxx is the name of a line of kings in my baby (otherwise known as my lifetime WIP). So I just referred to their dynasty. I had to change because with a name like Foxx you get some really nasty e-mails.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I am destiny
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Using your real name is fine if you like it.......
However if you dont like it...
I think Destiny is fine.....

I have wanted to write under an assumed name forever. I hate my name it sucks. I have actually thought about changing my name legally. But my DH is rather fond of my middle name which is the actual name I go by. Which is the name I HATE!!!!

So if you see a book series Authored by C.M. Jefferies or Michelle Jefferies you will know that it is ~Destiny... (
And that I chickened out on changing my name) Sigh*

~Destiny

[This message has been edited by I am destiny (edited July 06, 2007).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antinomy
Member # 5136

- posted      Profile for Antinomy   Email Antinomy         Edit/Delete Post 
Antinomy = a contradiction in terms. Kinda hokey but suitable for critiquing.
Posts: 147 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
My real name is Frederick. Until I went off to college, I was
Fred. When I arrived at college, I introduced myself as Rick. And that made all the difference.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

i dont use my realname for i am trying to hide from my family who are money sapping HIPPIES who like to spend MY MONEY ON USLESS SHIT.
if anyone is wondering my name is

Jay Proctor.

Jay is short for my first name.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.